back to article Security sweep firm links botnet infestation and file sharing

There’s high degree of correlation between organisations with P2P activity and system compromises via malware infections, according to a new study by BitSight Technologies. Correlation is, of course, different from causation. However, the booby-trapping of Torrents to tricks freetards into sucking down on malicious code is a …

1. NotBob
    Pirate

Wait

SO you're telling me that people aren't actually giving me free stuff just because I'm awesome? But this is the entitled generation! Give me everything, and I'm not paying!

At least as far back as Napster, pirate software has always had associated risks. Apparently people still either don't know or don't care.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Wait

Goes back much further, even to the very early days of malware when people would insert pranks into disks that would be copied and distributed. See Elk Cloner for an example (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_Cloner)

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Devil

"But this is the entitled generation! Give me everything, and I'm not paying!"

Baby Boomers?

1. Mark 85

@Throatwarbler Mangrove -- Re: Wait

Baby Boomers?

No. The children of the Boomers.... and the grandchildren of the Boomers. Scary, isn't it?

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Every generation has been called privileged by the generation before it. I'm sure that the first generation of tool-users was called privileged because they no longer had to kill animals with just their hands.

Really, the complaint means "I hate youths because I did such a good job participating in society that their lives are better than my own" and "Just because they ensured that life would better for us, doesn't mean that grandpa deserves a piece of the pie". Each new generation will be better-off and the previous generation will insist on some kind of reward for their work.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Each new generation will be better-off

Surely that is the entire point of existing? If the next generation is not better off then you're doing it wrong.

Hooray for our species. Onwards and upwards. And a heartfelt BOO! to those who fuck that up for selfish short-term goals.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Hmm...

So organisations that allow users to install arbitrary software like P2P clients, and don't pay any real attention to network security/firewall rules, are also getting Rodger'd with a spiky barge poll when it comes to Windows infections, etc?

Colour me surprised...

3. Alister
    Holmes

I can't help feeling this article deserves the icon here ---->>>>

1. Captain Badmouth
      Windows

Er, no sh*t Al.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like