1. Dr. Mouse

Contracting advice

Hi all

I am currently a software developer in a staff role, but am looking to move on, and am considering contracting again. There are many reasons for this, and probably the least of them is the money. My plan would be to do fairly short, get-the-job-done projects.

However, it has been about 13 years since I last contracted and I know that many rules and regulations have changed over this time. Back then, I used an umbrella company who set up a Ltd co and funnelled all income through it, paying min wage as salary and the rest, after expenses (and their fee, of course), as dividends.

My plans are also slightly different this time. I have a few projects of my own which I intend to get going and attempt to make money from, and I will not necessarily be confining myself to one contract at a time.

So, given this, does anyone have any advice for me? I am looking both at financials, regs, and also general advice regarding contracting. It has been so long, and I only did it back then as a stop-gap. I have not decided for definite that I will go contracting, but it looks an attractive option. I am newly without ties or commitments, and the variety appeals.

Thank you all in advance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon