back to article Donald Trump wants Bill Gates to 'close the Internet', Jeff Bezos to pay tax

United States Presidential candidate Donald J Trump has called on Bill Gates to shut down parts of the Internet, to prevent radicals spreading their ideas. That seems to be the thrust of remarks made by Trump at a campaign rally on Monday in the United States. As the video below shows, Trump told a rally that “We are losing a …

Page:

1. RIBrsiq
    Facepalm

The train-wreck that is the Donald Trump campaign: will it ever end?

But a serious question: if the only Republican seemingly able to win the party's nomination is a person who cannot possibly -- or so I hope -- win the national election; what then?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I do hope he wins the nomination. I can't conceive of a world in which he wins the election, but him in a full blown campaign, that would be something to behold.

1. Arctic fox
        Headmaster

Re "that would be something to behold" Yes, especially the bit where a peculiar..........

..........moustache materialises on his upper lip and he begins to howl "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer".

2. Ben Tasker

> I do hope he wins the nomination. I can't conceive of a world in which he wins the election

I've a strong (and slightly worried) feeling that if Clinton were to win the nomination, a lot of people would vote for Trump instead.

1. Naselus

"I've a strong (and slightly worried) feeling that if Clinton were to win the nomination, a lot of people would vote for Trump instead."

Well, except for women, ethnic minorities, liberals, conservatives who think Trump is insane, anyone living on either coast, the technically literate, the functionally literate... Basically, if Trump wins the nomination then Pol Pot could stand against him with Chairman Mao on the ticket and still get 60% of the popular vote.

Most 'establishment' Republicans are also worried that a Trump nomination could lose them a dozen seats in the senate and fifty or more in the House, too. He appeals solely to the anti-state, racist, sexist nutjob fringe of the Republican party, which now apparently accounts for some 50% of their base. The best bit is, even if he doesn't win the nomination, Trump will probably stand anyway and completely split the republican vote. There's simply no chance of a republican president while Trump is involved in the race.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That explains it - he is really part of the Clinton campaign!

Perhaps it really is a wig, and a rubber mask - has anyone seen him and Hilary in the same room?

2. WalterAlter

Watch what happens

...after the next terrorist attack on Western soil...and the one subsequent to that. Do we see a trend here that smarty pants comments prolly won't delay.

3. CheesyTheClown

Wouldn't Trump be a good thing?

There are a ton of Americans who claim to have been completely unrepresented in the executive office for 8 years now. The funny thing is, the vast majority of the people that hate Obama are precisely the group who has benefited the most from his terms in office. The people who voted for Obama basically had to sit back and watch Obama try and help the little bus folk because he believes that if he forces those people to be healthy and hopefully get an education, it will be better for the people with a quarter of a brain or more.

What if, these people who hate Obama and seem to love Trump were to get exactly what they asked for. A congress dominated by republicans and Trump as president. It will be an absolute international disaster and he'll probably send the world to war while jobs are lost and international treaties fall apart. I would imagine multiple members leaving NATO to distance themselves from the US. Other countries will call in US debts for fear of Trump doing something crazy like suggesting they're no longer value because he doesn't believe the US should have to pay them.

Wouldn't it be a good thing to give the American people what they want so they can learn their lesson the hard way?

The end result will be that

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do hope he wins the nomination. I can't conceive of a world in which he wins the election,

According to the polls and the experts, if Trump runs against Hillary, it's almost a sure thing he will win.

Here in the States there is amongst the Democrats an ABH (Anyone But Hillary) movement. Dems would rather vote for Trump than Hillary, for the reason that people would rather vote for a Repub that is a self-promoting blowhard than a Dem who brings new meaning to the word "selfish".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Trump beating Hillary in GE

The polls don't bear out AC's claim:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

The only poll that shows Trump beating Hillary is the one from Fox News. If Trump was a sure fire victor over her the republican establishment wouldn't be so terrified of him winning the nomination, since the likelihood of Hillary not winning the democratic nomination is about 1%.

The real problem the republicans have in this election is that they've been pushing their anti-government agenda so hard over the years that now the majority of their primary voters are unwilling to support any republican politician, because he's a politician. Previously that might have only hurt republican congressmen while governors could claim they have avoided the taint of Washington on them, but now their voters see even them as tainted. So you see non-politicians like Trump, Carson and Fiorina taking all the attention away from the people the republican establishment wants to push.

I can't remember the numbers but I was amazed at the percentage of likely republican primary voters who said that they saw little difference between Bush and Clinton, and some even said that about the self-styled anti-Washington Washington guy, Ted Cruz. If the establishment is seen as pushing out guys like Trump/Carson to make way for one of their guys like Bush or even Cruz, they might have enough people staying home from the polls that they lose the house/senate that way too. They've really sort of let themselves be boxed in by allowing the anti-government rhetoric to take such a strong hold in their party's message.

Anyway, it is far too early to say who wins the general election between the two. Some republicans who are loathe to support him will decide they'd rather have him than Hillary. Some democrats who want "anyone but Hillary" will decide she's better than Trump. And there's 11 months for them to take a big fall. What's more likely in that time, a new scandal to come up that actually sticks to Hillary, or Trump to shoot himself in the foot so many times that he's managed to alienate most of the republican base to the point where they view this election as a lost cause and start concentrating on finding some to beat Hillary in 2020?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Trump beating Hillary in GE

"The only poll that shows Trump beating Hillary is the one from Fox News"

According to someone on the radio today, we are currently at about the same stage in the process as we were when Newt Gingrich was double digit percentage points lead in the polls.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wasn't the same said about Ronald Reagan?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Thumb Up

But who'll be around to write the songs?

I think Trump is following Oscar Wilde's dictum: "There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about".

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

you mean

...that's listening to a voice that's outside your head?

2. Midnight

"But who'll be around to write the songs?"

I think Tim Robbins has that covered.

2. Naughtyhorse

With some justification.

So much of what's broken in murica was busted by ray-gun

3. Michael Habel

Reagan, and Thatcher were saints!

4. Vector

Re: Ronald Reagan

I'm not a huge fan of Reagan and wasn't when I was a much younger man during his reign term, but at least Reagan came into office with prior political experience as governor of California and president of SAG.

Trump and Fiorina and, in California, Meg Whitman are yet more businessfolk who seem to think success in the corporate world can be directly translated into success in the Oval Office.

Congress and the Supreme Court would have pails of bitter pills for them if any ever managed to secure the White House. Unlike the corner office where orders are issued and carried out on pain of termination, the Oval Office has to get legislation pushed through Congress before it can act on most things. And those things have to pass constitutional muster as viewed by the Supreme Court.

5. 2much2young

Ronny had done two terms as Governor of California by the time he got the stage of suggesting he should be prez . Didn't stop people suggesting that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the box but all the same light years ahead of Donald in terms of political experience.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Arnold for President!

Since Ronny is no longer with us it is time to bring out the Governator. He is the only one who can save us.

After all who cares what the constitution actual says.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Arnold for President!

Yes, this would be great!

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Didn't stop people suggesting that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the box

And those people were wrong, anyway, as later historical analysis has shown. I'm not a Reagan fan myself, but I'm willing to examine the evidence. His notes for the policy speeches he made before and during his governorship, for example, show that he was a well-informed and insightful policy wonk.

There's no question in my mind that age and disease had taken their toll on Reagan's intellect by the end of his career, but in 1980, the evidence suggests, he was still a very intelligent man.

Trump, on the other hand, is an idiot - a megalomaniacal bully and semi-competent con artist whose occasional ability to profit from the greed of others has deluded him into imagining he's capable of intelligent thought. I don't know of any evidence whatsoever that he's not an utter fool, as well as a vile demagogue and entirely devoid of any moral compass.

And in general the tone of Reagan's campaign message was one of hope and goodwill, not spittle-flecked xenophobic hatred. There's really no grounds for comparison.

3. Tom 7

Margaret Atwood

The only proven time traveller.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Margaret Atwood @ Tom 7

Heinlein wasn't far behind - Donald Trump and Nehemiah Scudder don't seem worlds apart. The only thing we can hoee is that Trump wins and takes the USA into total isolationism.

Thumb Up

Re: Margaret Atwood @ Tom 7

"Nehemiah Scudder "

Weird! I was thinking of that comparison the other day too!

4. g e

Perhaps shut down the parts of the internet

that Trump uses ?

Come on Bill!

5. yoganmahew

God help America.

1. hplasm
        Coat

"God help America."

Well Allah sure won't, now.

1. Michael Habel

Re: "God help America."

Well Allah sure won't, now.

>Implying that America needs the Allah Demolition Team...

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All hail President Fart

Peeps in the US, trump is another term for fart in Blighty.

Mushroom

"Peeps in the US, trump is another term for fart in Blighty."

Yep, that's what always comes to mind whenever I hear he's opened his mouth again. Lots more hot smelly air!

Come on Yanks! Don't you all have guns? This guy is as close to a terrorist as you can get without him actually killing someone! He terrorises me at the thought of his finger "The Button"

7. Naughtyhorse

what then?

Another democrat in the whitehouse.

Play to their strengths, the republicans can set their hair alight and jump up and down on TV, and the democrats can run the country. :-)

8. WalterAlter
      Pirate

For a "train wreck"

He seems to be doing nicely in statistical terms. All the hooting and snappy barbs and Hitler comparisons and bon mot stonings and snappy argot sniping and knit brow forehead slapping and bleacher seat Bronx cheers and dinner table pounding and sleepless mutterings of astonishment are starting to sound like blind panic which isn't surprising judging from the hideous sticky film of illogic that coats the human mind. He seems to be doing nicely in statistical terms.

1. JLV
        Thumb Down

@ WalterAlter Re: For a "train wreck"

In statistical terms, he is trouncing a field of 7 dwarves, in polls from the self-selecting primary voters, with 29% of supporters.

12% of Republicans voted in 2008 primaries.

assuming 50% of population is Republican

.29 * .5 * .12 = 0.0174

I am aware that I am conflating poll respondents with primary voters at this point, but in statistical terms, he ain't quite speaking for the whole US yet.

At least, I hope not.

I think that alternance in governments is a virtue. Few democracies do well from having one party run a country for >10 years. At the rate this is going, the Dems will trounce an eventual Trump candidacy in the real election.

America at large will not benefit from a system in which very engaged, older, white, angry, conservative voters repeatedly delude themselves into thinking they are a >50% majority and then consistently choose someone willing to pander to their prejudices to carry their banners pitchforks. With no snowball's chance in hell to make it past the rest of the electorate on election day. Those are the folks who thought Palin was the real thing. Those are the "statistical terms" you ought to think about.

It's not like the Dems are so incredibly great that I welcome the likelihood of them sitting in power for decades because the Reps can't choose electable candidates.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'only 12% of voters voted in republican primaries'

Trump may not have as much support in the republicans who skip the primaries, but if they find him unacceptable that's their own fault for skipping the primary and letting him win (if he does end up winning)

Maybe if it gets close to the Iowa caucus and NH primary and he's still up there, it will galvanize record turnouts in both states to hand him a loss, and he'll quickly fade once he's lost his mojo.

1. Mark 85

Re: 'only 12% of voters voted in republican primaries'

I'm still wondering if he's pulling a Ross Perot and will bail out at some point. If he is just power hungry, then he's someone we don't want in that office. And we sure as hell don't need another guy like Obama who knows better on everything and won't listen to any counterpoints.

Thumb Up

Re: 'only 12% of voters voted in republican primaries'

"If he is just power hungry"

He's a billionaire businessman. Of course he's power hungry. What other type is there?

9. JohnMoser

Hitlery said virtually the same thing, but not surprisingly there's not a lot of stories about it.

Hillary Clinton said on Sunday that the Islamic State had become “the most effective recruiter in the world” and that the only solution was to engage American technology companies in blocking or taking down militant websites, videos and encrypted communications.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech and question-and-answer session at the Saban Forum, an annual gathering at the Brookings Institution that focuses mostly on Israel’s security issues.

Hopefully, that POS won't win either.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said

All the viable candidates1 are pro-surveillance and anti-civil-rights. That's been true pretty much since 1980 (and quite a lot earlier, if we put Carter aside as an anomaly). The question is who would do more damage.

1Sanders isn't viable. He won't win the nomination, and if he somehow did, he wouldn't win the general election. Regardless of what you think about him, he's too far from the US center to win.

2. SoaG

“Some people will say, 'Freedom of speech, Freedom of speech', These are foolish people."

Well, hopefully that's enough to finally pull the wool off his supporter's eyes and end his clownshow of a campaign.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He is lucky USA has so few limits on freedom of speech

In another country his latest rant would have qualified for hate speech.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/07/donald-trump-ban-all-muslims-entering-us-san-bernardino-shooting

Banning entering the country a particular religious denomination and tagging all of its followers inside the country? Do a s/muslims/jews/g and Hitler would be proud.

1. MrRimmerSIR!

Re: He is lucky USA has so few limits on freedom of speech

Funnily enough, he's done his bit to offend Jews as well

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/3/9843670/donald-trump-anti-semitic

"Stupidly, you want to give money. ...You're not going to support me because I don't want your money."

1. Michael Habel

Funnily enough, he's done his bit to offend Jews as well

Again >implying that we don't need MORE leaders to tell Israel to fork off! Of corse the last One to do this ended up causing Bush I, the presidency. I just pray that history isn't set to repeat itself.

2. Rich 11

You know you've gone too far when even Dick Cheney rejects your position as too extreme. But Trump doesn't appear to care what seeds he sows. Maybe Cheney will now regret preparing the ground for those seeds to flourish.

2. Naughtyhorse

pull the wool off his supporter's eyes

Not a chance.

The more bonkers his rantings the more his base is energised.

He will lose the GE, and spend the rest of his life bitching about it.

1. breakfast Silver badge

Re: pull the wool off his supporter's eyes

A whole nation's worth of racist uncles are elated that they finally have a candidate who speaks specially to them.

1. Danny 14

Not only that but when asked for clarification he also meant to include American born Muslims that were currently outside the country.

That would be fun for the family returning from Haj etc.

A nod towards Bush junior who advocates tagging and monitoring ALL foreign visitors.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

That would be fun for the family returning from Haj etc.

Hajj? Nah... I'd like to see him go onto a transport plane full of U.S. Marines returning from a tour in the Middle East and try to tell them that some of the guys they've been fighting beside for the last six months aren't going to be allowed off the plane...

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

Duh

He's obviously asking the wrong guy, innit? He should be talking to Al Gore, surely.

Of course, I expect Al Gore will ask for a little quid quo pro, most likely re urgently-needed action on manbearpig.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Duh

Al Gore sponsored a pile of legislation that funded computing and networking research, and the precursors to the internet. He might well be a good person to talk to if you want to find places the US govenment can fund or cut to improve or destroy the internet. Republicans liked to say Al Gore claimed to invent the internet, but before repeating their delusions, it is worth checking snopes.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like