back to article Google Ventures ventures away from European investments

Google Ventures is to scrap its separate investment vehicle for Europe amid disappointing prospects in the region, according to reports. In a blog post following the renaming of the fund to GV this week, chief executive Bill Maris said the investment vehicle had poured cash into 39 companies in 2015. The outfit, which has …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

And how is el Reg's request for Google cash to investigate Google going?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

In related news...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/06/europe-google-silicon-valley-digital-industry

I'm a little confused though, if things could be so good why wouldn't Google put money into it?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Translation: butthurt

Don't stop, Europe. You're doing something right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Translation: butthurt (Yeah for Euros)

And all those Google services that freetard Europeans can't provide for themselves will go away too. As will that Farcebook none of you can live without. Welcome to the balkanized internet of your own making.

1. Fraggle850

@AC Re: Translation: butthurt (Yeah for Euros)

I think you're overreacting a tad but for what it's worth I'm sure we'd get along fine, thank you very much.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A many faceted problem?

I think it's hard to justify investing in Europe when the American incubation juggernaut roars ahead, unstoppablly (for now). Hats off to them. The Silicon Valley incubator system works well. Another facet is perhaps that neoliberals love a good old fashioned self-fulfilling prophecy. I've no doubt there's a typically whiney element of "It's impossible to invest here, with all your old world regulation".

1. Fraggle850

Re: A many faceted problem?

Indeed, and not just our regulations but our linguistic and cultural complexity makes Europe a very different beast.

5. John Lilburne

A major gain for search profiling

"Life science and health remain our most active areas of investment."

Search for cancer treatments and we know you are probably a) bad insurance risk, b) desperate enough to click on woo treatment therapies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like