back to article Verizon, the final Frontier: Landlines, TV, ISP biz to explore strange new worlds

US telco Frontier Communications has cleared its final hurdle towards a $10.54bn deal that will see it take over Verizon's landline phone, TV, and ISP business in California, Texas, and Florida. Frontier said it has gained approval for the deal from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), adding the final piece to …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Thank god

I've not heard much about Frontier, but considering Verizon are such bottom of the barrel assholes, they can't be worse.

OTOH, AT&T seems to be laying the hell out of some fiber here in Florida. They're doing construction and widening of Alafaya and Colonial, which are major roads in east Orlando, and on the way home I passed no fewer than 7 AT&T fiber crews over 4 miles apparently taking advantage of the open trenching. This is in addition to the new large population of AT&T fiber vans I've seen in the past 6 months.

Interesting no one else is doing it.

2. wayne 8

Verizon Business Plan?

Left with the Wireless and Government business units?

Wireless is going full *tard into consumer loan origination with device installment plans, then packaging those loans and selling for immediate cash to fund operations. Banking on the IoT to create a billion wireless subscriptions for new business.

Government. Contracts. NSA access. Secure government wireless against non-NSA types.

VZ retirees banking on dividend income might not count on that in 2016.

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: Verizon Business Plan?

Nope, I thought Verizon's business plan was to perform corporate seppuku.

(For those not familiar with the term: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku )

I must wonder: "What School of Damagement did Verizon's senior senile manglement attend???"

3. Kev99 Silver badge

I feel VERY sorry for those poor schmucks in Cally, Texas and Florida. Frontier has risen from the ashes of General Telephone, arguably the absolute worse phone provider since Bell needed Watson. We are currently on Frontier and their DSL service is passable but they insist on using Netgear 7550 modem / routers. UGH! Customer service is a joke, assuming you can get a hold of any. And don't hold your breath waiting for new service to be established. Oh, how I long for the AT&T monopoly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like