back to article Mobile bank upstart Tandem scores regulatory thumbs-up

Banking startup Tandem has been cleared to offer digital financial services in the UK. Tandem’s founders are pitching their bank as something that’s digital and mobile, and will challenge the high-street banking status quo. It joins a growing list of startups with a small number of staff and who are promising traditional bank …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

No one using iCloud? And of course the cloud is really secure, somewhere I could stash all my p0rn selfies for example?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obviosuly very secure

and they're using "big data" too, although it's hard to see how that will help run my current account.... I'm obviously not wearing the right glasses or smoking the right cigarettes.

The problem with legacy systems isn't them being old it's that management don't manage so they force out the people who understand them and employ monkeys in their place and then say "oh it's those legacy systems you know". Oh well, the new shiny systems will be "legacy" in a couple of years and they'll have sacked or forced out the people who understand them and we'll be back to square one.....

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Obviosuly very secure

Glad to see they're using 'big data' , but I suspect it doesn't mean what marketing goik thinks it means.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"they are free of the kind of legacy IT infrastructure that’s both slowed down banking’s big names"

In which case Tandem is bloody odd name to choose for your company

( or I could just be showing my age )

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Showing your age?

Nah, you probably just got off the 'Non-Stop'...

ok, I'm outa here

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I could just be showing my age

It's a fault, but around here we'll tolerate it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“to proactively improve customers’ financial lives,”

I don't trust the bunch of old banking scumbags, but it doesn't mean I'm gonna fall for some auto-generated shite either. After all, they didn't land on this planet from a totally different ecosystem, they're as corruptible and hackable, as all the others. If somebody wants to be their guinea pig, go ahead.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: “to proactively improve customers’ financial lives,”

“It will use big data and the latest mobile technology to proactively improve customers’ financial lives,”

I read that and it sounded just like Charlie Brown's teacher in 'Peanuts'.

1. <shakes head>

Re: “to proactively improve customers’ financial lives,”

what this means is that they will dig into every aspect of you phone you let them in order to advertise and "cross sell" additional products which is where they will make their money, essentially google's business model but the banking bit is on offer and the rest hidden

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like