back to article Why Microsoft yanked its latest Windows 10 update download: It hijacked privacy settings

Microsoft withdrew downloads for its latest official edition of Windows 10, version 1511, after it meddled with people's privacy settings. Earlier we reported how Redmond disappeared the update, which could be fetched via the official media creation tool (MCT). The download became available in mid-November after Microsoft …

Page:

1. Tom Chiverton 1

"we will restore those settings"

How? Creepy....

1. King Jack

"we will restore those settings"

Which means they have already slurped them. Why people install this I will never know. It will take a major security breach to wake people up.

1. Dr Stephen Jones
        Facepalm

Re: "we will restore those settings"

Correct, if you requested anonymity and installed the update, you have lost it.

Anonymity is like Virginity. You don't get it back once you've lost it.

1. dan1980

@ Dr Stephen Jones

"Anonymity is like Virginity. You don't get it back once you've lost it."

Team Reg - are you out there? Post of the week, please.

1. DrBobMatthews

Mentioning Microsoft an virginity in the same breath is almost a technical oxymoron. Better to mention prostitution and Microsoft would be a more honest opinion. Technical excellence and Microsoft parted company some time ago when the rabid marketeers with a shared braincell decided they were masters of the universe.

2. Steven Roper

" It will take a major security breach to wake people up."

No it won't. J. Q. Public isn't concerned about security other than protecting their credit card numbers.

What WILL wake people up is Microsoft's Ransom-as-a-Service rentism business model. When people suddenly become aware that it's costing them a bomb to run their comuters each month and wonder where all the money's going, that's when they'll wake up and realise they've been diddled.

I don't think an exodus to Linux will happen straight away. But I think it will gradually gather momentum once the rentism kicks in and people start looking for ways to cut costs and get their files back without having to pay the monthly ransom to continue working with them.

3. DrBobMatthews

King Jack too true, now the NSA have got copies!

2. Mark Allen

Surely a simple answer

That old thing called System Restore. Or whatever they call it now. The same method that lets you uninstall an update would allow them to find out your previous settings and put them back in place. No data would need transmitting to MS for that.

1. Graham Marsden
        Facepalm

@Mark Allen - Re: Surely a simple answer

> That old thing called System Restore.

And, of course, they say, in big letters, "This program wants to access your System Restore data to return to your old settings. Please click here to approve this"...

1. dogged

Re: @Mark Allen - Surely a simple answer

> And, of course, they say, in big letters, "This program wants to access your System Restore data to return to your old settings. Please click here to approve this"...

In your world, I suppose they should say "this operating system needs to access your computer's memory. Please click to approve this" about 8 billion times per microsecond.

Seriously? You object to the system using System Restore to restore your system? Or you're just being a bloody idiot? Which is it?

1. Graham Marsden

@dogged - Re: @Mark Allen - Surely a simple answer

> Seriously? You object to the system using System Restore to restore your system? Or you're just being a bloody idiot? Which is it?

Oops, nice False Dilemma. You fail to realise there's a third option, so let me explain it:

System Restore is there for ME to restore MY system to a configuration that worked after something has gone wrong.

It is NOT there for SOMEONE ELSE to run a piece of software, browse through my previous settings and change them WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

Does that make it clear now?

1. Danny 2

Re: @dogged - @Mark Allen - Surely a simple answer

https://bookofbadarguments.com/

The print edition would make a good xmas present for junior minds, it's basically a cut-down version of the Wikipedia List of Fallacies. But with cute drawings!

1. The Boojum
                Thumb Up

Re: @dogged - @Mark Allen - Surely a simple answer

Brilliant. Thanks. Bought the book for my kids (and for me, if the truth be told).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely a simple answer

> That old thing called System Restore. Or whatever they call it now. The

> same method that lets you uninstall an update would allow them to find out

> your previous settings and put them back in place. No data would need

> transmitting to MS for that.

Except your passwords have already been uploaded to Microsoft, replicated across a bunch of disks in multiple data centres, found their way onto backup tapes, and probably downloaded by your friends:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

The only way to undo this is going to be to change your passwords absolutely everywhere.

1. dogged
          Stop

Re: Surely a simple answer

Yeah, no. That's not how wifi sense works at all.

You're reaching now.

3. frymaster

The update saves a backup of various things (c:\users and c:\program data to name two) in c:\windows.old in case people want to back out of the update. I imagine it'll get them from there

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

"Oopsie"

Fuck me, it didn't take the bastards long to start their games.

I was expecting a month or two after termination of W7 at the earliest.

Perhaps this really was a premature ejaculation.

3. hplasm
    Meh

Well-

They would say that, wouldn't they...

4. Joe Werner Silver badge

They spotted it, pulled it, and now communicate their d'oh moment. To me that is ok. No, it should not have happened, yes, it nevertheless did. But "oopsie" indeed...

(usually run some flavour of Linux, and we too had strange things happening, gotta admit this, folks! And as an admin I was close to some really stoopid blunders as well - don't ask...)

1. Known Hero

Im asking :)

and there is a place for that, Lets get honest people !!

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/04/09/Drewc_FAIL_the_most_incompetent_IT_pros/#c_2706315

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

yeah, but posting on forums (and reading... ok, mostly the reading) will eat up even more time... ;)

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Thumb Down

I think not...

"They spotted it, pulled it, and now communicate their d'oh moment. To me that is ok. No, it should not have happened, yes, it nevertheless did."

So, you catch sight of the bloke in the stripy jumper, wearing an eye mask and carrying a bag labelled "swag" outside of your house. He points to himself and says, "Look at me, what am I like?" and disappears into the bushes.

And that's OK.

I think not.

1. pewpie

Re: I think not...

I think MS have hired Dom Joly.

3. Arctic fox
      Windows

@Joe Werner "They spotted it, pulled it, and now communicate their d'oh moment"

The whole situation is rather strange. I updated two Pro 3s and our home office heavy-lifter and in all cases all the privacy defaults I had turned off during custom install were still turned off. This update appears to have had random effects which does suggest that on this occasion it was a F**kup rather than deliberate action.

4. captain veg Silver badge

really stoopid blunders

Today I inadvertently upgraded my work desktop to the experimental branch of my favoured distribution, promptly losing networking. This has not aided my productivity.

-A.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This:

""when the November update was installed, a few settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained for advertising ID, Background apps, SmartScreen Filter, and Sync with devices.""

""when the November update was installed, a few privacy settings preferences had purposefully been turned back off for advertising ID, Background apps, SmartScreen Filter, and Sync with devices."

TFTFY

1. Just Enough
      WTF?

Re: This:

So, according to your tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, Microsoft's master plan here was to do it on purpose and then embarrassingly tell everyone they did it by mistake, and then revert it all back?

What exactly would be the point of that, other than deliberately making themselves look stupid?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

> What exactly would be the point of that, other than deliberately making themselves look stupid?

In fairness, they've done stranger things.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This: @Just enough

Nothing tinfoil hatter about it...

MS's record over the past 3 months has shown us exactley what they are after and will do almost anything to acomplish their goal of assimilating every user and acruing every bit of data about them. If you thinks that's tin foil hattery, you crack on with your farce book and twatter accounts. At least I know i'm doing something to protect my last shreds of privacy...

3. oldcoder

First they got caught...

You missed the "cover up" from the lawyers...

Then the misdirection that it was "inadvertent"...

What may have been inadvertent was the actual release - as the users hadn't YET been conditions to accept everything MS poops out - and the information that they can rummage through your restore to get things they shouldn't have.

4. DrBobMatthews

What exactly would be the point of that, other than deliberately making themselves look stupid?

They don't have to deliberately make themselves look stupid, thy are past masters at stupidity and arrogance, Internet Explore bears witness to both corporate stupidity and arrogance.

6. J__M__M

So did this happen before or after the update turned all notification settings along with firewall back on?

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The Shape of things to come

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Things_to_Come (1933)

H.G. Wells was not far off the mark with his pronouncement of a 'Benevolent Dictatorship'.

Nanny Microsoft knows best chaps. Keep in step now there's a good fellow and let Satnad rule your IT.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: The Shape of things to come

Lovely. But what's that got to do with the article?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

along with a number of commentards, I think that this was deliberate. They (MS) put all this crap in thei OS and we go and disable it. so why wouldn't they want to enable it again?

This is nothing more than

The Shape of things to come.

or

seconds out, round 2.

This is not over yet, not by a long chalk.

1. dogged

> along with a number of commentards, I think that this was deliberate.

Of course you do. This surprises absolutely nobody.

Should anyone be surprised that you specifically are dumb or obsessed enough to think a company (any company at all) would deliberately set out to alter settings so that at some point in the future they might possibly be able to steal data from an apparently completely random and quite small subset of upgraders, then withdraw the update that could (in a handful of cases) cause the settings changes (that might or might not allow data to be stolen depending on applications used, presence of firewalls, whether the machine was even used or not), admit that they did it (claiming incompetence) and turn all the settings back again?

Given your posting history, I think not.

Seriously, you need to get out more. You're making David Icke look rational.

1. shovelDriver

"so that at some point in the future they would be able to" capture the passwords, preferences, and viewing habits of the hundreds of millions of users who failed to realize the settings had been changed.

As everyone should know by now, data is money. Money is power. Information is power. Q.E.F.D., the more info you have, the more power you can grab.

How could anyone not understand this?

1. Seajay#

Of course but if that is your evil plan, you do it secretly. You don't do it, revert it, and then tell people that you did it.

Microsoft may be evil but this incident is not an example of their evilness, this is an example of incompetence.

1. oldcoder

The only reason this became an "incident" is because they GOT CAUGHT.

1. dogged

> The only reason this became an "incident" is because they GOT CAUGHT.

Except that they didn't. They pulled the patch themselves when there were no reports of it doing anything weird and when asked why, told people why.

If they'd "GOT CAUGHT" then the usual Win10 Hate Brigade would have been trumpeting this for the last week. They weren't.

You're wrong.

8. Chemist

people's unique advertising ID numbers

As someone with no interest otherwise in MS software my interest was still raised by the above ID business.

What is it ?

1. frank ly

Re: people's unique advertising ID numbers

It's a product ID number. The user is the product.

1. sabroni Silver badge

So just like the id that gets passed to Google Analytics by pretty much every website you go to then.

1. Richard Plinston

> So just like the id that gets passed to Google Analytics by pretty much every website you go to then.

Technically it is not the website that passes stuff to Google Analytics, it is done directly from your machine by Javascript that is loaded from the web site. That JS does not run on _my_ machine because it gets blocked by NoScript and Ghostery.

2. F0rdPrefect

You mean you don't block Google Analytics?

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

It's an ID number unique to you, the user, out of all Windows 10 users. It allows apps to track, identify and analyze you based on your behavior online and on your desktop.

Do. Not. Want.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

I think Chemist was asking how NSAFT's tracking numbers are derived. What are they?

If he wasn't I am...

Anyone?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

So what's the format of this unique ID, and how much effort would be to develop a small background program that randomly changes it every 20 minutes?

2. Timmy B

You think that you're never tracked on the net? mmmm, interesting.

1. Chika

You think that you're never tracked on the net? mmmm, interesting.

Everyone has been tracked in some way, but why make it easy to do?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like