1. Clive Mitchell

Expanding ads

These expanding "content breaks", the EMC one in particular are about to drive me away from El-Reg. Article pages loads but as soon as I start to scroll (using wheel), the add expands. The ad then scrolls rather than the page until eventually I get to the rest of the article. With the EMC ad in particular, it's often longer than the article itself and you I completely lose any continuity.

Reading El-Reg is now an exercise in frustration and I don't need more of that in my life.

1. NormansLament

Re: Expanding ads

Jesus, those auto play adverts suck.

Sorry guys, had to ABP you now.

2. Somone Unimportant

Yep - the auto play ads are a pain in the arse!

And I'm on a 3g network link, so these ads are costing me $$$ to have on the screen.

Please don't make me switch an ad blocker back on!

3. MrDamage Silver badge

Sod off the autoplay. And the auto-expansion.

I understand El Reg needs the ads for revenue, but by having them as autoplay audio/visual, basically put El Reg in the same basket as all the other dodgy wannabee web-pages that were coded by inept sloths with brains of mouldy cheese.

El Reg staff should know by now, us visitors to your site have zero issues with text and banner ads, and will more than likely click on them to show your advertisers that they are getting value for money.

Autoplay video and audio, just ensures your readership switches on ad blockers.

4. Known Hero

I went to ABP when they filled all the clickable area when I wanted to bring it to focus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon