back to article TalkTalk Business email servers titsup for days after DNS config snafu

An unknown number of TalkTalk Business customers have been unable to access their email messages for days, after the budget telco's servers went down on Friday. One customer told The Register that he had been advised by the ISP to use a webmail service to retrieve the messages in the meantime while TalkTalk attempted to bring …

1. Teiwaz

'only a handful'

I'm sure it's more than five...

TalkTalk will probably try to downplay it to even smaller numbers in the next few days.

1. Chris Miller

I'm not sure how many TalkTalk Business customers will use their email service. I certainly don't (nor their DNS for that matter) and so hadn't noticed this out(r)age.

1. Dr Paul Taylor

Freedom2Surf

Joined them back in 2005. Remained good when they joined Pipex. Under Tiscali their mail system became awful and I left for ICUK. Very glad never to have had dealings with TalkTalk.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

I'm sure it's more than five...

I don't know 5 hard drives can hold a fair amount.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Unhappy

only a handful

Would that be the number of customers theyhave left by any chance?

4. Ye Gads

Ha

I recently got a letter from TalkTalk about the data that'd been nicked when they were hacked. Their letter stated that the data theft had included:

•Less than 21,000 unique bank account numbers and sort codes

•Less than 28,000 obscured credit and debit card details (the middle 6 digits had been removed)

•Less than 15,000 customer dates of birth

•Less than 1.2 million customer email addresses, names and phone numbers

Their own words: Less than 1.2 million customer email addresses, names and phone numbers.

So, when they say "just a handful", I suggest people take that with the appropriate levels of salt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha

(less/fewer aside) in my case they wrote to me - to an address they had been told twice that I had left, threatening serious action if I didn't pay the bill outstanding on a contract that they themselves terminated

The levels of salt need to measured in tonnes. [Is that a new unit, a TalkTalk's worth of salt?]

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" in my case they wrote to me - to an address they had been told twice that I had left, threatening serious action if I didn't pay the bill outstanding on a contract that they themselves terminated"

Isn't it high time we started throwing them in jail for that?

I'm speaking as an ex-Tiscali customer who suffered the same threatening behaviour after *they* cut me off.

2. PeterM42
          FAIL

"The levels of salt need to measured in tonnes. [Is that a new unit, a TalkTalk's worth of salt?]"

No - TalkTalk's bullshit is measured in CrapCraps.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    FAIL

TalkTalk & Business?

Surely some mistake? Would any business trust anything critical with these clowns?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TalkTalk & Business?

We were with F2S so have ended up with TT:-(

Though Talk Talk business support is massively better than private buyers get with their automated nightmare.

When I phoned on Saturday morning they immediately admitted the problem and gave us the work around, so more than a few I think.

For legacy reasons we need an ISP that does not need authenticated SMTP.

Any suggestions for an ISP that don't insist upon authenticated SMTP.

(As we only ever use SMTP from the ADSL they provide the extra security is not necessary)

3. chivo243 Silver badge

Only correct answer

Monkey Business? Does TalkTalk use their own services?

4. Chris King

Nildram

gotadsl.co.uk was the domain name used for Nildram's ADSL services, prior to the Pipex take-over - it was used for static IP's, personal websites and mailboxes.

I'm amazed that's still in use, given how long it is since Nildram imploded and became nothing more than a brand name for TalkTalk Business...

2004 Pipex takes over Nildram

2007 Tiscali buys Pipex

2009 Carphone Warehouse buys Tiscali UK

2010 CPW launches TalkTalk

I bailed out from Nildram to AAISP before the Tiscali buyout, but things were already falling apart even then. Are they still running that bit of the empire on the original kit ?

5. x 7

"just a handful....."

thats because most Nildram and Pipex customers were too intelligent to remain after TalkTalk took them over

from my experience my Pipex ADSL dropped from 5mb/s to 500kb/s a week after the takeover of Tiscali, and TalkTalks response was to redefine my phone line as a "slow line" and claimed it was within specification......

I notified them that they were in breach of contract, requested a MAC code and immediately terminated payment. They squealed like stuck pigs, but never tried to reclaim any outstanding payments. Took them three months to actually cease the line

1. Chris King

From what I remember, lots of Nildram customers jumped ship well before the Tiscali take-over of Pipex, most of the ones I knew escaped to AAISP.

Within weeks of Pipex taking over Nildram, my line's performance went down the toilet, DNS kept breaking, and the 24x7 support was mysteriously silent in the evenings and at weekends. That was my cue to leave.

A far cry from the early days, when my line went wonky one weekend. They managed to wring a verbal apology out of a manager from BT Wholesale on a Sunday afternoon, and got the problem fixed a couple of hours later.

6. Leeroy

Don't make them like they used to

Pipex and Nildram were fine and their customer support was great. The same obviously can't be said for the new owners :/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They killed Static Nildram IP Address Blocks too

A week ago talk talk business took out the static IP address blocks of "some" business customers for 4 days. No explanation was given, my affected range was an old Nildram IP address block. Interesting that this issue is also an ex-nildram service problem.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"TalkTalk Business customers"

That's a good one! Reminds me of the "businesses" who were whinging about FastHosts being down (as reported a while back on El Reg).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

gotadsl?

Gotadsl.co.uk was the domain used by Nildram, purchased by tiscali and then killed off.

I was migrated over, had my static IP addresses replaced with DHCP leases and the SMTP feed to my messaging server obviously failed. When support were contacted they said I never had static IP addresses, then realised I did, then couldn't give them back as they'd been re issued. I had, and was paying for 6 IP's I got a single one and the cost went up!

Shortly after this there was a dramatic DNS failure for a couple of days and I gave in and moved to Zen.

Never looked back...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like