back to article Don't flip your lid: The Internet of Helmets has arrived

Microsoft has shown off an internet helmet built by a customer. The hard-wired headwear is the brainchild of construction outfit Laing O’Rourke, which is rightly concerned with the welfare of workers it sends out to build stuff in the sweltering heat of places like Australia and the Middle East. Folks toiling in the hot sun …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Techno trilby?

Hardly… trilbys are full-brim.

2. Fraggle850

Techno titfer then?

Obligatory translation for left-pondians:

Cockney rhyming slang: 'tit for tat' = 'hat'

3. tfewster
    Trollface

Not just heatstroke..

... could also be used to detect other undesirable situations, e.g. rapid cooling=death, unauthorised tea break or POETS day

Common result of not wearing your hard hat --->

4. The Axe

Aerial

Not sure about the aerial sticking up lasting long in a real building environment.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Aerial

Yes, this needs some 'streamlining'. It also looks (hard to tell from just one photo) like the weight of the components isn't distributed evenly - if this makes the hat somewhat lopsided it would be uncomfortable to wear it all day. But I guess that's due to using off-the-shelf components for a first run.

All in all very impressive - a working solution for a real problem without re-inventing the wheel. But then that's what civil engineering is all about...

There are also helmets with augmented reality systems now.

http://de.engadget.com/2014/09/08/baustelle-wird-stylish-smarter-schutzhelm-mit-augmented-reality/?ncid=rss_truncated

(Links to a german text, but contains video in english.)

How would the helmet do in this test? (wait for it...)

1. Known Hero

It would probably do as well as the one they attached it to.

From what i can see, they have taken an existing helmet and screwed on the components.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All in all very impressive - a working solution for a real problem without re-inventing the wheel.

I can't help thinking that a better approach would have been to re-invent the helmet with the same protection, but far better passive ventilation for use in hot locations. Look at most hard hats, and its quite obvious they were designed for temperate climates. In the photo, the token ventilation on the crown of the helmet might be OK for a warmish day in Europe, I wouldn't want to wear that in Dubai if there were a better designed alternative.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've worn a few different varieties of hats, including hard hats, and almost none of the common ones do any good in the sub-tropics.

The only one that's been any good in heat has been the Vietnamese coolie hat, and only if there's only light wind. It does get some odd looks though, people either love it or hate it. That said, it beats having the sun in your eyes and coming home looking like a bad impersonation of Rudolph. I've gotten that used to it now that I feel undressed if my head is bare.

As for hard hats… I'm kinda surprised they didn't go the full-brim variety: they could have mounted the unit more centrally just behind the head, either above or below the brim. The only reason I can think of is that the full-brim hard hats are scarce in Australia, the "cap" style ones (like the one pictured) dominate. Look on any building site, and the "cap"-style hard hats out-number the full-brim hats by about 30:1. Odd, as they lend themselves very well to the sunny climate we have here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RF

Does it measure exposure to microwave radiation next to your brain for your full working day too?

1. Triggerfish

Re: RF

No they line it with tinfoil.

6. Sgt_Oddball

Makes you wonder what other uses you could get out of this. Firemen safety for tracking/monitoring as a thought. Especially if you could just drop a few repeaters as they go.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since the helmet is meant to be used in bright sunlight situations, perhaps the addition of a few small solar cells to help augment the batteries?

1. Mark 85

If it's building construction, once the outside walls and roof are up, no sun on the inside of the building. If you've ever worn a hardhat, you tend to like them as light as possible, so keeping the weight down is high on the list.

2. Kanhef

Might work well in welding helmets; the autodarkening ones are already powered by photoelectric cells.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Makes you wonder what other uses you could get out of this."

Spam bot, DDOS etc. when it gets cracked.

Oh, wait... it's a white hat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They have black ones too.

9. Bucky 2
    Coat

It's been a long time since anyone offered to give me helmet in the workplace.

10. southen bastard

I work in the hottest of environments, North Queensland and the NT, and often out in the sun 40-55c

This is another case of some bas@#$d sitting in an air conditined office cost cutting,

letting the company get you off site so you don't cost them money.

A better solution would be to redesign the helmet with better air flow , may be a fan.

Lighter and cooler is better and keep people working

11. Pseudonymous Diehard

Internet of Helmets?

Thats been around for ages. Just take a look at Chatroulette / Omegle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like