back to article Rise of the handy machines: UK gears up for first Robotics Week

The UK Robotics and Autonomous Systems Network (UK-RAS Network) tentacle of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is inviting humans to get involved in the first UK Robotics Week, scheduled to run from 25 June - 1 July 2016. The event - supported by the Royal Academy of Engineering, the Institution of …

1. Yugguy

Ethical UAV?

| doubt it could be implemented but some way of declaring an area a no-fly zone and enforcing it would be a good idea. It would make drones pricy tho as they'd have to have maps and gps preloaded.

Maybe not then.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Ethical UAV?

I think by "ethical" they mean drones that don't intentionally kill people; so basically civilian applications like agricultural monitoring and building surveys.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No imagination!

All that guff about surgical robots, and outdoor and hazardous environments - we've got doctors for that, and the SAS. Why would they want robots? I can't see the special forces having much prestige if it's just driving a mechwarrior from an office in Hereford, with privation counting as not having a mug of coffee next to your mouse pad.

Oi! UK-RAS! Where's my robot home assistant, able to strip the beds, wash it, dry it, iron it, air it and put clean sheets back on the bed? And hoover the house, empty the bins, clear the kids junk away? Bringing me a cup of tea in the morning to wake me up. Cleaning shoes. Feeding the fleet of cats or walking dogs and carrying the regulation sandwich bag. Basic cooking stuff (I'll do the ambitious and fun stuff). And the robotic blighter can also do lawnmowing, leaf sweeping, car cleaning, toilet de-skidding, window cleaning. And rather than making cars intelligent but useless for all other purposes, my non-Terminator would be a capable chauffeur. Now, Dame Dowling, that would transform the quality of our lives, and be a poke in the eye for all the twerps who think that putting the intelligence into a car is a good idea.

And talking of jobs I'd rather not do, they could add bottom-wiping to the list of desired functionality.

3. Alister
    Boffin

Bring Back Robot Wars!

That is all

1. VinceH

Re: Bring Back Robot Wars!

But give the robots more powerful weapons!

And make them autonomous!

(What could possibly go wrong?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bring Back Robot Wars!

They allowed for autonomous robots from the start.

There was even extra weight allowed for non-romote controlled machines.

4. The entire Radio 1 playlist commitee

I notice that "Universities and Science minister Jo Johnson" doesn't know what engineers do.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloggs

Historically, automation has improved and even saved lives. It has made lives easier, more efficient, more enjoyable and extended our lifespans.

And yet every time there is another step forward there are screams and gnashing of teeth, people proclaiming "What will become of us!".

Would anyone want to give up their clothes washing machine, vacuum or central heating?

Aren't we all (commutards of El Reg) employed to automate a wide range tasks?

The best way forward, in my opinion, is to plan the help and support in re-skiling of those that the latest round of automation has made redundant rather than running around declaring "We're all doomed! DOOMED I tell ye!!".

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Cloggs

We're all doomed! DOOMED I tell ye!!

(please also read the mouse-over text for my chosen icon)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like