back to article eBay scammer steals identity of special agent investigating him

A cybercriminal who ran a mere eBay scam became a more significant collar for the US Department of Justice after he successfully stole the identity of the special agent investigating him. Rohit Jawa, 25, has pleaded guilty to eight counts of wire fraud, and one count of stealing a special agent's identity which he then used to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The line between chutzpah and reckless

is often the same fine line between spectacular success and laughable fiasco

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: The line between chutzpah and reckless

Absolutely. This is the case of a bottom feeder to whome Fate appears to deliver an opportunity, but it was actually a test of character.

He'll have a few years to rethink his life now.

2. Graham Marsden
      Facepalm

Ok, so 10/10 for style...

... but minus several million for good thinking!

2. chivo243 Silver badge

you can't make this up

did JAWA know this cop was on his butt? Or is this some crazy coincidence?

See title.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It's not unusual to find criminals who think they're brighter than they are but this seems to be an outstanding example.

OTOH am I alone in being worried by the idea of "a web portal which provides access to criminal intelligence and other highly privileged information for law enforcement officials" which can be accessed by a bit of social engineering?

4. Richard 1

His balls were WAY bigger than his brain. Full credit to him for turning minor criminality into potentially a lengthy prison term.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be followed by deportation back to India and banning from ever visiting the USA again.

He really didn't think that through, did he?

5. JacobZ
    Coat

Should have talked to Uncle Owen

He'd have told them never to trust a Jawa

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Should have talked to Uncle Owen

Ouch! That's cruel, but funny.

2. Joe User

C-3PO put it best: "I can't abide these Jawas. Disgusting creatures."

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
        Coat

> I can't abide these Jawas

Quite right - terrible Eastern European motorbikes. Engines made of Swiss cheese, frames made of partially-vulcanised rubber. One step up from CZ motorbikes though.

Mines the one with the Honda C70 manual in the pocket. That's what I was riding when my brothers had Jawas and CZs..

3. Kane
      Happy

He'd have told them never to trust a Jawa

Utinni!

6. Alister

one count of stealing a special agent's identity

Is that really a specific offence on the statute books? Wow, they do think ahead, don't they!

1. Charles 9

I think it's more a case of "Impersonating a Federal Officer" which, yes, is a federal offense (18 US Code § 912).

1. Kyorin

Just this week I had an Ebay scammer send me an empty, but "signed-for" envelope containing nothing but a flyer, just so he could then provide "proof of delivery" to Ebay. Nasty and deceitful fellow who I suspect will shortly get his just deserts. Have raised this with Ebay who are now investigating, as it's clear he's done this to others, but am also considering calling in the police as well, but with all the cutbacks, it's doubtful they will do anything about it...

1. MrRimmerSIR!

@Kyorin

DEFINITELY get a crime number from the police. Even if they don't do anything, it will help your case with eBay. I had similar - was sent a (tracked, signed-for) postcard from China instead of the electronic item that I ordered. eBay/Paypal sorted the problem out without hassle.

eBay will send you instructions about what to do, just follow them and let the process do its stuff.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: @Kyorin

You are more likely to get an investigation if you report it to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Unlike you local force they have the time, skill and budget to do something.

2. OmniCitadel

@Kyorin

Ahhh mail fraud, one of the more fun ways to get the feds after you....

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

18 US Code § 912

Jack Walsh: I know my rights. You owe me phone calls.

Alonzo Mosely: What should be of paramount importance to you right now is not the phone calls, it's the fact that you're gonna spend ten years for impersonating a federal agent.

Jack Walsh: 10 years for impersonating a fed, uh?

Alonzo Mosely: 10 years.

Jack Walsh: How comes no one's after you?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pretty impressive

He kind of made FBI a laughing stock, first, he broke their "security" by social engineering (" purporting to be the special agent phoned FBI tech support and successfully obtained a temporary username and password) and then he set up fake FBI ebay and other accounts impersonating NINE FBI staff, including the agent who'd been investingating him. You couldn't make this up...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: pretty impressive

And when will the follow story on the termination of the fbi employee to granted him that access?

2. elDog

I'm thinking impressive enough that he'll be quickly hired by some unnamed agency of some english-speaking country - they're all in need of such obvious talent. And the consequences be damned.

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Thumb Up

After he gets out, he'll be calling you to inform you that he has detected that your Windows computer has a virus.

1. The Boojum

Sounds waaaay below his level of ability.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Sounds waaaay below his level of ability."

Sort of. Considering the amount of work he put into this I can't help thinking he could just as well tried to pull off something really big and lucrative - or do something legit and lucrative.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To Whom It Mey Concern

The story not UNTRUE.

Respectfully your,

Directa of Faderal Buroau of Investigashions

9. cantankerous swineherd

made absolute fools of the g-men. give him a medal. lock the little twat up for fraud as well though.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not all that funny

This will happen to GCHQ eventually...

1. Stumpy

Re: Not all that funny

How do you know it hasn't already?....

11. FredBloggs61

Let's just hope he doesn't team up with someone like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32095189

12. Ben Tasker

1&!1 Mail and Media

True&False Mail and Media?

Or did someone accidentally hold shift and then fail to press backspace?

1. Cuddles

@Ben Tasker

Maybe they've been bought by Yahoo?!?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

true && false would be false so it may be intended as an elaborate pseudonym for "false" -- as in "false email addresses".

Of course & is a bitwise operator so 1&!1 is actually 0.

13. Nightkiller

Your H1B visa program in action.

14. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

when collared, Jawa was quoted as saying

"Ootini!"

15. Spaceman Spiff

Poetic justice?

The agent should be fired for being an idiot, and the criminal pardoned for showing how stupid our "protectors" are!

1. ShadowDragon8685

Re: Poetic justice?

Why, exactly, should the OIG investigator be fired?

He suspected theft of a parcel by a postal employee, not mail fraud. He corresponded with the seller under that premise, and law enforcement officers and investigators are generally required to provide identification when asked, and for good reason.

Really, who's ballsy enough to attempt to steal the identity of a LEO? Well, this utinni, apparently, but seriously, you DO NOT want to go down a road that has law enforcement refusing to provide their credentials. Down that road leads to far greater impersonation of law enforcement, since anyone loud and burly can just start shouting "Police! On the ground! I don't gotta show shit!" and people will comply for fear of legal problems if they don't and oh look, now they're being robbed/kidnapped/raped/murdered/assaulted with a bannana-cream pie.

2. Stevie

Re: Poetic justice?

No, all the officer did was provide his credentials, which he is obliged to do by law.

I suspect the rest is the result of lax procedures that don't have a second party authentication requirement, or not following those procedures that do.

None of which was done by the officer whose creds had been stolen.

If there is an idiot in the room, it ain't the agent.

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Jawa

On ya (motor) bike son!

1. fedoraman
      Happy

Re: Jawa

I CZ what you did there!

17. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

[at a party]

Girl: So, what do you do?

Guy: I'm a special agent."

Girl: Wow, really? FBI?

Guy: No, um, post office...

1. Florida1920

Fourteen US Postal Inspectors and Postal Police Officers have died in the line of duty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Inspection_Service#Fallen_Officers

18. Florida1920
    Facepalm

You can't fix stupid

Guy finds out Feds are investigating him so he starts hacking the Feds. Throw away the key, there's no intelligent life there.

1. Pookietoo
      Facepalm

Re: Feds are investigating him

At that point he was just a witness.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This guy should be recruited to social-engineer his way into ISIL, where he could cause some problems..

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watched Brazil again last night, and saw this now.

I don't piss and moan often, but when I do, I use the idea that asshats like him are going to force us into that nightmare.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like