1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Bank card fraud

Anyone aware of a possible plague of chip'n'pin debit card fraud?

In the last fortnight, I've had not one but two frauds on two different cards, one of which is *never* used on t'internet (and the other only rarely; I prefer to go through Paypal where possible). Some kind soul, or group of souls, is buying the oddest things with my cards: propane, video games, insurance, food... meh.

I am on the strong side of paranoid when it comes to using my cards, and from talking to the bank (who have now issued new cards twice in a month) it sounds like it may be a random number attack. At least they're not doing the 'our systems are secure, it must be you that's given all your numbers away' thing.

The bank have been extremely helpful and tell me I won't lose the cash (though it's in holding at the moment) but it's a but bloody annoying.

Any thoughts?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bank card fraud

Not aware of this. Forwarding to newsdesk for perusal.

2. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Have you absolutely ruled out ATM skimmers?

Correlation of the ATMs or other uses of both cards will likely reveal something useful if you only use one rarely.

Random number attacks are incredibly unlikely unless someone has figured out the algorithm for your card providers' generation process. (Are they the same brand/bank?)

Could be interesting, this.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Short answer: two debit cards from Barclays.

One used only twice on the internet in the last three months and both times to places I've used before. The other not used on the internet at all.

Both with contactless; neither used with it.

ATM use generally restricted to two or three known locations, banks and a supermarket. POS is (the same) supermarket or garages, though there was one purchase at a garage which I rarely use and which has had a reputation years ago for skimming.

Fraudulent payments attempted in the UK, US, and Italy.

1. Eion MacDonald

Foreign

If you only use your card(s) in UK, register with your bank you will advise if you ever travel outside UK before you travel. this allows them to block any foreign attempts. PS do not allow anyone to take card to a POS (in restaurant etc.). When in county with a new card a colleague had his card read in restaurant to pay our meal and within 6 hours it was used to buy silver in USA (about 7000 miles away!), as no history of use, it got through.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon