back to article Google-chaired think tank says Google's No.1 for digital rights

Just fancy that! A Washington think tank chaired by Eric Schmidt, Alphabet Inc’s executive chairman, has given Alphabet Inc. an award for "protecting your digital rights”. Schmidt became executive chairman of the New America Foundation, which had built a strong reputation as a non-partisan and imaginative policy think tank, in …

1. Jagged

Arseholes

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Semantic Triple

Assholes (xml:lang="en-US")

Awaiting Asians.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes a change from being chaired by the RIAA and MPAA.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

What makes you think that there is a difference?

3. inmypjs Silver badge

"merely performed a textual analysis of their mission statements"

So in reality the ranking is not in order of respect for digital rights but in order of how much they are prepared to lie about it.

And google comes top - well I never.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If your german is up to it, find the (very) short story 'Antipellin' by Alexander Roda Roda.

5. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

Well Andrew you may very well not like the way I respond to this and...........

...........your minders may ensure that I get modded for expressing myself in this way. However, never mind. Here you are at last tackling this very important issue (and no, I am not being sarcastic) in a way that does not encourage the "tribalists" amongst us to howl their usual song. It is of crucial importance that we tackle "BigCorp" (regardless of which company it might be) over their lackadaisical attitude to privacy. It is highly ironic that a number of those companies who are absolutely determined to own their customers collective arses are (MS being an example amongst others) protesting against the involvement of the "State". I am very pleased to see that you are now looking beyond just MS and Win 10 (although we must of course continue to watch the buggers closely) - they are only one part of the problem.

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Well Andrew you may very well not like the way I respond to this and...........

I've been writing about privacy since CCTV came into the UK 21 years ago. But thanks :-)

You won't get privacy unless you can assert ownership rights. There won't be a functioning "digital economy" without ownership. And Silicon Valley doesn't want anyone but itself to assert ownership. So the greatest con trick ever pulled is persuading people to give up their rights voluntarily.

Most people get this, but on tech forums (I already see a reference to the RIAA/MPAA) the propaganda is still effective.

6. Trollslayer
    Flame

Books?

You know, that ones Google have decided they have the right to scan and make freely available on line.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Books?

Yeah, it's called fair use. And it's legal.

Your point?

7. Mark 85

So basically, this whole "organization" and it's rankings are BS and pointless. I'm sure they'll get some mainstream media time with said media fawning all over them for being "upfront".

Is it beer o'clock yet? Stuff like this and the security theater going on, make wonder why I don't drink more.

1. HAL-9000
      Pint

That time already

Cheers big ears, 'tis beer O'clock indeed

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This reminds me of John McEnroe..

More, specifically, this.

I would normally laugh, but these self-awarding idiots have an ugly habit of believing their own delusions whilst screwing over the rest of the world. Well, f*ck them.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: This reminds me of John McEnroe..

mee too, but I saw it here

9. Stoneshop
    Holmes

Wij van WC-eend adviseren WC-eend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsvHeLUOoxs

(but these guys do it for laughs)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wij van WC-eend adviseren WC-eend

For the vast majority of the planet not speaking Dutch (even without the accent in the ad), it's an ad demonstrating that no other bird than a toilet duck works as a toilet duck.

1. Stoneshop

Re: Wij van WC-eend adviseren WC-eend

Not just that, it's the manufacturer demonstrating that their own product is best.

10. Stretch

/facepalm americans

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like