back to article China's glorious five year plan will see 'online environment cleaned up'

China has finished talking about its 13th five-year plan, and while the full text and tactics won't be revealed until next year, broad brush-strokes have been supplied that offer lots of insights into matters technological. Internet of Things advocates might be the happiest of all who consider the plan: China pledges to create …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Online environment clean up?

I think China (Beijing) has a much more pressing issue with their actual environment.

Like breathing.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark 85

Re: Online environment clean up?

Well, part of the plan is to monitor industrial stationary pollution... nothing about things like cars, buses, etc. or about the use of coal for cooking and heating. I'm curious if they'll try cleaning up the rivers and keeping the industrial pollution out of the water supply.

Reading between the lines here and on a couple of other places reporting on the plan, it seems they're tightening some things up in relation to the populace and production. So maybe the Great Firewall will also include a physical one of sorts as well. The restraints on the flow of information seem to be behind a couple of points. Historically, their Plan is prioritized... the lower on the list, the less it gets looked at.

But, the placement on the list (priorities) could change between now and when it gets published.

Not much on anything like the widespread stealing of IP (and not just IT tech) which might make some problems with any kind of trade agreement.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Online environment clean up?

Ah, so, hopefully this new focus on the environment will extend to companies storing explosive and flammable materials "casually", so no more port facilities will vanish in a blaze of glory?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33924501

Somehow, I'm not expecting great progress on this front. Agree, though, that those who have negative comments to make will not be feeling the love of the Ministry of Truth.

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Just a SWAG

Whether that plan will be good for anyone expressing dissenting opinions online is anyone's guess.

I'm going to go with "No" on a hunch especially as those individuals are among what the Chinese government is apt to clean up.

3. Nick Kew

We could do with that ...

If pollution levels in our homes feed into a GIS, we could have a map showing serious pollution, and perhaps catch some of those nasty fads like the wood-burning fires that are our generation's big carcinogens.

1. Mark 85

Re: We could do with that ...

like the wood-burning fires that are our generation's big carcinogens.

When you figure out how not to have the massive forest fires (not just in the US, mind you), then get back to us about the fires in a fireplace or woodstove. Ok?

2. Fungus Bob
      Boffin

Re: We could do with that ...

" we could have a map showing serious pollution"

Be careful what you wish for. Accurate measurement of the brain-fart you released could end up having your head declared a Superfund* Site.

*For our Yurpeen friends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfund

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Do they realise the internet would speed up if everything didn't go through the Great FIrewall which is just a 33k modem?

5. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

Meanwhile...

... the Tories are launching (or should that be "laundering"?) their latest attempt to get a version of their Snoopers Charter through Parliament...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like