back to article End in sight for wireless power standards war as field shrinks to two

The battle for wireless power supremacy is now a straight fight between two groups following the merger of the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) and the Power Matters Alliance (PMA) into the Airfuel Alliance. "AirFuel technology is the next step in fast-tracking the commercialization of wirelessly charged products," said Ron …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Foot - gun

"Even Apple went for Qi charging with its smartwatch, although it did bugger about with the software to ensure that most WPC chargers won’t work with the device [...]"

Which rather defeats the idea of universal charging points in hotels etc so you don't have to carry a charger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Foot - gun

This wireless charging wet dream of having something built into the bedside stand in every hotel will NEVER happen until there is a single standard, so worry about Apple's support or lack of when that happens. Until then no hotel chain is going to waste money implementing this, and the wireless charger weenies will still have to carry the bulky charging pad around with them, which is less convenient than simply carrying a charger.

2. Steven Raith

Power Matters Alliance

S'funny how they're called power matters, but they're pushing tech that fritters away 30% of the power at the DC adapter, and then another 40% at the wireless charging bridge.

Or is it just me?

Steven R

3. Cuddles

Field shrinks to two

Or more accurately, field remains at one. Most of the Airfuel Alliance's "compatible devices" are Samsung products which are compatible with both. Qi remains the only standard that any significant number of consumers have actually used deliberately. Which is a bit of a shame really, since long ranged simultaneous charging of multiple devices would be really nice, but while A4WP and PMA have spent most of their time fucking around with working groups and arguing about what to call themselves, WPC have put actual useful working products in the hands of consumers. Maybe in a few years we'll see some actual competition, but by then it may well be too late.

4. Sykobee

So we need wireless charging in our desks to power our Intel laptops that advertise "all day" battery life anyway?

I don't carry cables with me anyway. I have enough spare micro-usb cables to leave some at work, and the phone lasts a day or two without charging anyway. If I had a laptop I used at work, I'd get work to buy me a home charger as well as the work charger (and ultimately this will be solved with USB Type C charging too).

So unless you need a 100% sealed device or a device that can't accomodate a charger socket (Smartwatches), wireless charging is still a gimmick in my mind. On the other hand, at least they might get to the point of having a single standard for power delivery, even if it throws away a lot of power just to do its thing.

1. John Robson Silver badge

I sometimes carry a pair of laptops, pair of phones and my tablet between home and work - I consider that to be massively excessive, but it's useful occasionally

Carried cable count: 0

I have a docking station and charger for the laptops at work, and a pair of chargers at home.

The phones both take MicroUSB, one lasts 10 days, the other 2 - so they very rarely need charging at the same time, but there is a cable on my desk and by the sofa.

The tablet takes a proprietary connection - and there is a cable for it at work and at home.

When I go on holiday I'll normally take a USB charger and one of each cable type... Maybe take two (one for me, one for the wife)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like