back to article The only GOOD DRONE is a DEAD DRONE. Y'hear me, scumbags?!

There’s nothing worse in journalism than a big-mouthed writer who can’t take what he gives. So I would like to thank all those readers who emailed me personally to offer their opinions on last week’s column in which I cast doubt on Hollywood’s portrayal of computer hackers as sharp-witted and articulate with washboard abs rather …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Lols again.

Almost certainly a slow news day. As it's now something like the 5th time I've seen both a Windows 10 article and a "shoot everything" article are posted at the same time.

Still a laugh though!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/31/windows_10_recommended_upgrade/

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Lols again.

Whose side are you on, friend?

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hey, why the down votes? I'm only pointing out the two things have a correlation. Shooting things, and Windows 10.

Oh, the "Slow News Day" was not serious. I look forwards to the weekend articles and commentary.

1. BillG
          Trollface

I have heard that in many locations around the US, you can shoot whomever you like just as long as they’re on your property.

Not to my knowledge. They must in inside your house, and uninvited, before you can open fire. If they are outside your house but on your property they must both be armed with a weapon and also an imminent threat.

On the opposite extreme, there are areas of California where in the same situation you are required to give ground, even if a loved one is in danger. In this situation if you assault the intruder, the intruder can actually prosecute you for assault!!! There was a case in the 1970's where a burglar was assaulted by the homeowner and the homeowner was prosecuted. The burglar famously said on the stand, "I didn't want to hurt anyone Your Honor, I just wanted to rob his house".

2. Fungus Bob

"why the down votes?"

Two people here actually like Windows 10.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

You're a very brave man posting that after reading this article. I'd keep an eye out for lurking IT journalists from now on.

1. LucreLout
        Joke

I'd keep an eye out for lurking IT journalists from now on.

Don't be soft. Dabbs would first have to stop knitting his yoghurt lentils and go grab his shotgun. A gun he will almost certainly be too weak to lift from the skim soy lattes and other right on food stuffs.

I like drones - racing them looks like a whole lot of fun! You will, however, not be racing them in my garden because my home is not your playground Dabbs.

If your flight of icarus is low enough and slow enough to be hit by anything I have at my disposal, well, you had it coming so don't complain. Run to the hills, or as todays yoot would say, jog on.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Maybe there's some kind of correlation between Windows 10 installs and reaching for the elephant gun?

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

And who is this Mr Lumpkins? I'm of an age where children's programs ended with the Magic Roundabout.

You also seem to miss the point. Personal space isn't the same as your home. So please refrain from going all 'highschool' on us (going postal is so last century).

3. BrazzaB

Give me that gun!

Babsy - You forgot your own land line phone when that nice man with the Asian accent calls you to tell you that you have a computer virus and can he connect to it!

1. Zimmer
      Happy

Re: Give me that gun!

I've got 'em on the list, I've got 'em on the list...

And there's none of 'em be missed, there's none of them be missed....

Defer to Dabbsy, the 'Lord High Executioner'

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Time for your medication

- and a bit of a holiday for you, methinks, Dabbsy! Now, please hand that weapon to the nice bomb-disposal drone I'm talking to you from. No don't do tha...t! sigh. Sorry, REME chaps, he's done it again. I think we'll have to go with the sleepy-gas, strap him to a stretcher and fly him to his favourite holiday destination whilst he's out.

5. Detective Emil
    1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Alternative soundtrack

Or The Hunting Song as another alternative.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the days when gentlemen wore swords...

...they were exceptionally polite to each other...

Its only the rise of the nanny state which allows us all to be rude to each other with no fear of comeback. Oh.. unless its to someone of a darker skin color, or a sexual minority of course.

1. Rich 11

Re: In the days when gentlemen wore swords...

What a happy little world you must live in.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Not sure about 'happy' - but definitely 'special'...

2. Grikath

Ummm.. no they weren't. Stop watching Hollywood and consuming Victorian myffology. It rots your brain, y'know.

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Down

"In the days when gentlemen wore swords..."

..everyone who wasn't lucky enough to be a gentleman had to worry about being stabbed.

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    IT Angle

Quick

revoke his passport before he can get to the US and cause more gun crime than they've already got

I fear Mr Dabbs maybe slipping into the same trap we all fall in eventually..." the yelling "git orf ma grass" out the window" stage of aging

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Quick

"git orf ma grass" you forgot to add: you goddamned hippies!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Windows

Is yelling "git orf ma grass" out the window the stage before or after driving like Mr Magoo?

Maybe Logan's Run had it right. Finish you off while you're still compos mentis none of this faffing about trying to revoke passports, guns, driving licences, or opening window privileges.

1. DropBear

"Maybe Logan's Run had it right."

As long as you don't mind that Logan himself seemed to have an issue with that, sure...

3. Fungus Bob
      Devil

"revoke his passport before he can get to the US and cause more gun crime than they've already got"

No, no, no, its alright. We enjoy gun crime. That's why we have so much of it. Yes, it is a national insanity; maybe its caused by groundwater contamination or the 60Hz powerlines messin' with our brainz. But whatever the cause its our national insanity so you Yurpeans can just keep drinking your soy lattes and driving your wee, little scooters* and stay on your side of the Atlantic. At least we have the good sense not to wear speedos.

*We are also torque-crazed. Each and every last one of us. Even little girls with Hello Kitty dolls. We don't know why, we just go with it.

8. KBeee
    Joke

Lynx

Spelling of Lynx? Maybe missmelled that.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Lynx

Oh the irony of misspelling a word as "spelling".

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Presentation / Ronnie

Oh dear, seems like that presentation went rather badly...

Re the picture in the article - was that on the day The Gipper was off his meds and thought Nancy was Tip O'Neill?

1. Marshalltown
      Headmaster

Re: Presentation / Ronnie

Not to mention that Ronny baby is hold a hunting rifle in an airplane and that at least some present think it is or could be loaded.

1. Eddy Ito

It's ok, Ronny shot left handed and that's clearly a right handed rifle so it's going to slow his follow up shot.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

He obviously (from the photo) knew how to shoot.

Would there even have been a second shot or would they all by then have been floating down to earth at 32 feet p.s.p.s?

(Necessary Sean Connery quote: "That's a Smith and Wesson.... " blah blah blah)

1. Stoneshop
            Boffin

Would there even have been a second shot or would they all by then have been floating down to earth at 32 feet p.s.p.s?

Mythbusters tested such a scenario, and firing a (hand)gun inside a plane at altitude turned out as, although undesirable, nowhere near problematic. Apart from maybe hitting a vital piece of electronics or hydraulics (which tends to disable just one of multiple redundant controls, but see United 232 for a case where redundancy just didn't cut it), you're left with a rather small hole, through which the inside pressure will want to equalise with the outside pressure. Given the pressure difference and the area of the hole, that's going to take some time.

Bringing a plane down through decompression can happen, but there are usually words like "explosive" or "extremely sudden" in the accident investigator's reports. And even getting the airplane converted, in flight, to a cabrio (Aloha Airlines Flight 243) isn't necessarily fatal.

1. DropBear

Hey, everyone knows that in the original version the airplane door shot first so it's all ok...

10. Chronos

Guns and Merkins

Sod 'em, I'm more interested in the sarcastic ammunition that is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I can think of a few Usenetizens upon whom to use that particular put-down at this very moment. Powerful stuff when used correctly.

That said, following your lurid description of the average geek, Peppa Pig's dad would have probably been a wiser choice - with added Lynx, natch.

11. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Paint balls vs CCTV

A nice example of taking out CCTV cameras with paintballs is found here.

----------

Re "I have heard that in many locations around the US, you can shoot whomever you like just as long as they’re on your property.

Well, looks like in Texas you can shoot British tourists.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Paint balls vs CCTV

Strictly speaking, in the US you can only shoot another legally if that person is endangering your life or the life of another person. Generally, the rule is in the US an intruder inside someone's house is fair game because the residents do not know if the person is armed or not. But you can not legally shoot someone who is fleeing or leaving aka in the back. Occasionally there have been situations were an armed third party intervened and shot the perpetrator in the act. This is considered legal because the intervention protected someone else's life.

If you are in the metro Atlanta, GA area do not try to break into house in Kennesaw. Kennesaw has a law (unenforced I believe) requiring residents who can legally own a gun to have one in their home. US gun law generally forbids convicted felons and violent mentally ill people from owning guns.

1. Fibbles

US gun law generally forbids convicted felons and violent mentally ill people from owning guns.

How's that working out for you?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"US gun law generally forbids convicted felons and violent mentally ill people from owning guns.

How's that working out for you?"

Pretty well for all of those convicted felons and violently mentally ill people who obey those laws.

Of course, convicted felons be definition have shown a problem with obeying the law.

There should be a law about that.

1. a_yank_lurker

Felons are not likely to obey the law so the point is moot. The mentally ill are often not listed in the database.

In the US, to buy a gun you have to fill paperwork for a background check before the dealer can even consider a sale. The background check is then run throw a FBI database which has the names of those who can buy or possess a gun. This takes a couple of minutes. Assuming you pass the background check you can then buy the gun. Some states have stricter rules such as a waiting period before the final sale.

1. skeptical i

re: "fill paperwork for a background check before the dealer can even consider a sale" -- This is true if the individual buys from a dealer. In some states, if the background check results do not come back within $num_hours (varies by state) the dealer shall sell the firearm. In some states, background checks are not required for private (person-to-person) sales or sales at gun shows. Then there's the issue of when states with VERY different approaches to firearms share a border and visitors don't know the differences, or where exactly the border is in the rural areas.

1. a_yank_lurker

Private gun sales are not regulated and they would be very difficult to regulate. However, it is a felony to engage in a straw purchase - buying a gun for someone (usually a felon) who is not legally allowed to possess one. Unless all the serial numbers are removed, a gun is traceable to the first dealer sale. So if your gun was found in the possession of felon you better have a very tight (true) story of how that happened.

The nuances of US gun law are somewhat confusing because most, even in the US, get very inaccurate information about gun rights. Also, most gun violence is concentrated in gang infested areas of the US with most people rarely carrying a weapon.

This story is the only one I have heard of where someone actually shot down a drone. The more details I have heard - shot gun, long loitering times, previous incidents, etc. - leads me to believe it was reasonable to believe his teenage daughters were being stalked with the possible intention of rape of his daughters. Also, what was overlooked in the hype, the shooter did have to appear before a judge to defend his actions. There was the real possibility of a conviction. I happen to agree the judge got the decision right in this particular case but another vaguely similar case may have a different outcome even in Kentucky.

1. Charles 9

"However, it is a felony to engage in a straw purchase - buying a gun for someone (usually a felon) who is not legally allowed to possess one."

But it's kind of hard to prove the gun was straw-purchased and not stolen as the former owner claims, and under the Sixth Amendment, it falls to the government to prove the straw buyer's lying.

2. Eddy Ito

In some states, if the background check results do not come back within $num_hours (varies by state) the dealer shall sell the firearm.

The federal law for $num_hours is 3 days so that makes it at least 72 hours. I'd say that the FBI should be able to pull their finger out in three days but given that whole Boston Marathon thing where they had a much longer heads up it certainly gives one pause.

Regarding private sales, the point is largely moot since "gang banger" is unlikely to ask "drug dealer" to undergo a background check even if required by law to do so. More likely it's going to be a simple exchange of a paper bag for a newspaper through an open car window where the bag holds meth and the newspaper is folded around a pistol.

2. JEDIDIAH
          Devil

>> US gun law generally forbids convicted felons and violent mentally ill people from owning guns.

>

> How's that working out for you?

...about as well as the war on drugs.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Strictly speaking, in the US you can only shoot another legally....."

There is no US law on the matter. This is covered under the laws of whichever of the 50 states you are in at the time.

1. a_yank_lurker

The primary difference in the US is whether the state has a "Stand your ground" provision or a requirement avoid shooting if there is a possibility of deescalating the confrontation. In any case, a shooting will almost certainly result in an investigation as to whether it was justified. Contrary to Hollyweird and the US media, no one in the US has the right to shot anyone except certain narrowly defined situations.

3. Marshalltown

Technically, federal laws make it illegal to violate local (state) laws regarding selling or purchasing guns, e.g.:

THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968

TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44

TITLE I : STATE FIREARMS

CONTROL ASSISTANCE

So, it is the local standards that actually trump decisions.

Some other points to consider are shotgun range, the drone operator says his drone was above 200 feet but eye witnesses contradicted that. The judge went with the witnesses. It is possible that both testimonies are accurate. The drone uses GPS to estimate altitude not radar or anything more accurate, so the "altitude" in the data record would be above the geoid surface, not necessarily above the ground. The shotgun owner apparently took the drone down with one shot. I can't find any mention of shot guage, but a 200-foot plus shot, which is what the drone operator is arguing the shooter made would be impressive skill or remarkable luck.

Also, more extensive accounts indicate that the drone had hovered over the same yard six times during the preceding year and that a sixteen-year-old woman was sunbathing in the yard. So, unless there is some remarkably interesting arhcitecture, why was Boggsie running his drone there repeatedly? The shooter says that the drone was harassing the yard. Maybe it was.

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Also, more extensive accounts indicate that the drone had hovered over the same yard six times during the preceding year and that a sixteen-year-old woman was sunbathing in the yard. So, unless there is some remarkably interesting arhcitecture, why was Boggsie running his drone there repeatedly? The shooter says that the drone was harassing the yard. Maybe it was."

The drone owner then came round with three mates and were apparently pushy / aggressive enough that the guy felt they were being threatening to him causing him to warn them off his property. Honestly, from all the interviews and coverage I have read on this, the guy who shot has seemed reasonable and calm and the drone owner an anti-social and entitled git.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Texas "He needed killing" falls under the Justifiable Homicide defense.

As well, it should.

It's all perfectly legal if you think of it as a post-trimester abortion.

Just please refer to my Enemies List - and my list only - to find out who those people are.

(There are just too many unauthorized Enemies Lists there that may mistakenly have my name on them.)

12. Martin Summers Silver badge

I hope for all our sakes he remembers the old mantra 'The Keyboard is mightier than the gun'. I don't like the sound of Dabbs: Armed and dangerous.

13. Dr_N

You're too easy on French hunters, Mr Dabbs.

They are a drunken menace who think they have a god given right to fire on people.

My solution? Allow walkers/ramblers/mountain bikers to carry side arms:

French hunters would be more careful where/how they discharge their weapons if they thought they'd get a few 9mm rounds back in return.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like