back to article NASA's Cassini probe skims icy moon Enceladus

NASA's Cassini spacecraft yesterday made it closest approach yet to Saturn's moon Enceladus, swooping to within 49km (30 miles) of the icy body's south polar region. In the process, it passed through the liquid plumes which spew from Enceladus, originating in its sub-surface ocean. Scientists hope a small sample of plume …

1. Little Mouse

At that height and speed...

I'm hoping for a few bugs on the windscreen.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Against the wind

Cassini needs to make close passes of Titan in order to modify its orbit much. So every single influence on that wandering spacecraft's orbit has implications for the next Titan pass.

But, this time the perturbations are not easily crunched orbital parameters, they are variable and unknown braking effects caused by diffuse vapour coming off a moon of Saturn.

So today's total change on Cassini's orbit isn't definitely quantifiable and constiutes a calculated risk, probably small, that the next Titan pass could be missed, leading to huge difficulties in planning future orbital changes.

NASA seems unconcerned tho, so maybe it's not a significant issue.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Against the wind

"NASA seems unconcerned tho, so maybe it's not a significant issue."

Well, Cassini is near EOL, so NASA's ready to take liberties with it's final days. It's next mission will dive it between the innermost ring and the planet 22 times.

If it survives that, it's straight into the heart of Saturn so Cassini'll avoid colliding with Titan or Enceladus.

In case they may be harboring life, they don't want to contaminate them.

http://news.discovery.com/space/cassini-grand-finale-nasas-saturn-missions-daring-end-140707.htm

3. Gannettt

All that ice, and not a gin and tonic in sight!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Maybe Enceladus' internal ocean is made of G&T?

(God: Damn!!--I leave a drink out for a few of (my) minutes, and flys start gathering around it!)

1. Woofy

Have a Bug & Tonic!

4. JaffaMan

Park it in the rings?

Could NASA not park it in and among the rings? As far as i'm aware, we've still never had a decent close up view of the material in the rings. Or is the material surprisingly spread out so there's not much to see close up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Park it in the rings?

I think if they try that, a surprising number of icy clods will be striking the spacecraft with enough force to batter it somewhat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like