back to article Think your mobile calls and texts are private? It ain't necessarily so

Mobile networks around the world have been penetrated by criminals and governments via bugs in signalling code. Security holes have been found in a technology known as Signalling System 7 (SS7), which helps to interconnect international mobile networks across the globe. AdaptiveMobile has uncovered evidence of global SS7 …

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Coat

Sir

Phreaking hell!

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

“From the Americas to MENA, Europe to APAC" - so they're American then? EMEA, not MENA, Middle Earth not APAC.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Yeah, never heard of MENA before, figured that its probably "Middle East and North Africa".

3. hatti

Pre Levison

standard issue press tool

4. ACx

"Think your mobile calls and texts are private?"

Are you kidding? Surely no one is under that illusion any more? Come on......

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

My thought exactly. What knowledgeable person was ever under that misapprehension?

Even if you're not familiar with the technical details, a basic capability for critical thought should lead you to suspect that long-distance communications do not come with any guarantee of privacy.

And, of course, if you understand security, you know the question is not well-formed, since "private" used as an absolute without further qualification doesn't mean much. (Private to whom? To what extent? For how long? Including metadata and traffic analysis? Under what sorts of attacks? It's a largely meaningless term.)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Knoydart
    FAIL

Greenland goes red

My guess about Greenland being red on the SS7 map is that they have one Telco and therefore if they have SS7 issues, the whole of Greenland has an issue (in SS7 terms). It's a scary situation but one that likely won't change quickly.

7. Dr_N

Isn't all the encryption turned off in some countries anyway?

I seem to remember you get a warning to that effect when logging onto mobile networks in Turkey.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like