back to article Shocker: Net anarchist builds sneaky 220v USB stick that fries laptops

An internet mischief maker has built a USB stick that delivers dangerous 220-volt shocks to PCs, destroying them in the process. The USB Killer is the second iteration of a laptop-wrecking device crafted by a Linux and infosec techie nicknamed Dark Purple. The first version of the PC-zapping hardware emerged in March, and …

Page:

1. Charles Manning

Net anarchist?

Nope. He's just a criminal vandal.

1. Dadmin
      Facepalm

Re: Net anarchist?

It's slightly clever, using the host power to supply the damaging power, but really I have a cheaper solution involving an unused USB connector and a power pigtail. Also, I could run over the laptop using my car. Is that clever? Me thinks not.

Clever would be that he could do this from a remote location. Keep trying, Igor!

1. TreborG2

That will be the next step. Some form of gated switch that when triggered remotely will turn a useful usb stick into the destructive force it is now.

Imagine how it would go .. ID ten T user finds usb "storage" dongle in the parking lot, or middle of the grocery store isle.

ID10T picks up device, takes home or to work, plugs in, "hey.. its a USB storage device I picked up for free, awesome!"

Meanwhile, its attempting to install malware, some sort of call home remote via tor.

Later, after infection has made it inward, it destroys itself along with the PC that started the infection.

Next, you hear about company X (sony) going old school, pen and paper whilst they work to clean up.

A Dongle is just a Dongle, until it isn't.

Hide in plain site, at the first risk of detection, destroys itself and its initial attack vector / springboard into a network, just in case you (the hacker) left something that could trace to you. Of course you'd want to scrub drives first or encrypt parts etc, so that any data leaving is encrypted and the only location for the key is the USB that will destroy everything it can when activated.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Security researchers have shown that employees will pick up mysterious USBs they find in parking lots and offices and plug them into their work computers."

Igor doesnt even need to go into your office, just near it.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not necessarily. Inconspicuous reliable self-destruct for machines is something that is of interest for a lot of people. Anything from industrial secrets, to various hat colors, 3 letter agencies, you name it.

The fact that you and me do not need it, does not mean that this is not useful.

By the way - the choice of voltage is interesting. High minus is the only thing that really can blow up a motherboard via peripherals. High plus is nowhere near that effective.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

I'd be very reluctant to consider this in a security context without rigorously testing its thoroughness on several samples of the target equipment: I imagine a lot of persistent data would survive in most cases.

Perhaps it if the caps were charged to 22000V... but even then...

Difficult to imagine a situation where you wouldn't have better luck with a hatchet.

1. Ole Juul

Difficult to imagine a situation where you wouldn't have better luck with a hatchet.

But then you'd get caught.

1. Dick Palmer
            Facepalm

>But then you'd get caught.

Back 'round to criminal vandalism?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I think it would be much more interesting if it discharged its 220V through its metal casing.

1. Dr. Mouse

It would be interesting if you were a criminal. Leave one in the house, labelled as Accounts or similar. Cops raid your place, find the stick, plug it in and: ZAP!

All joking aside, this would mainly be useful for mischief. It's unlikely to do much more than kill a PC, and I could see a miscreant leaving a load lying around. I'm pretty sure there are some people who would pick it up and plug it in to see what was on it, and I'm sure more than one would try a second machine after it fried the first ("I wonder why my laptop isn't working, let'd try it in my desktop").

1. Robert Helpmann??
                  Childcatcher

The article mentions that it fries the motherboard and nothing about any effects on storage. My guess is that this might be useful offensively (in as much as destroying someone's machine is useful) but it is unlikely to prevent data from being extracted from a machine's drive except perhaps those attached to the same USB bus as the device.

2. E_Nigma
                  Trollface

"Leave one in the house, labelled as Accounts or similar."

Better yet: "Leave one in the house, or wherever, labelled 'do not plug in'!"

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
                    Pirate

"Leave one in the house, or wherever, labelled 'do not plug in'!"

Sounds like a good start to a lovely round of Office Hijinks.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"I think it would be much more interesting if it discharged its 220V through its metal casing."

Unless, of course, said casing is wired to the USB plug's outer shield that acts as a ground...

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
                FAIL

"discharged its 220V through its metal casing."

Is that the same metal casing that by law is connected directly to ground when plugged in in and powered up?

2. a_yank_lurker

I saw a demo video on Arstechnica. This looks like it could seriously damage a large number of machines. If this was combined with some other exploit you could have a one-time use attack device that could self destruct and take at least one device down.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You can damage the USB chipset, and possibly other motherboard components but I doubt that this would securely destroy the machine's hard drive.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Facepalm

Inconspicuous reliable self-destruct for machines is something that is of interest for a lot of people.

As it's got pretty nearly fuck-all chance of killing the data on disk (and it's the data that you want to destroy, not the machine) this is useless for that purpose.

He's just as clever and driven by the same motivation as the people who used to switch PSUs to 110v so they'd go <BANG> when switched on, scaring the living jesus out of the user.

Twat.

1. phuzz Silver badge

To be fair, designing and building this circuit, and fitting it into the dimensions of a standard USB stick is quite clever, certainly more clever than just flicking the switch on a power supply.

As for motives, what's wrong with "I wonder if...?"

1. Aitor 1

It isn't very clever.

It is a matter of googling the tech specs of dc-dc boosters, nothing else.

2. jelabarre59

> He's just as clever and driven by the same motivation as the people who used to switch PSUs to 110v so they'd go <BANG> when switched on...

Funny, all mine are set to 110V.....

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

With respect, there is no guarantee that this device will do anything other than deliver 220V which may or may not kill the machine but cannot be guaranteed to destroy the data..

I suggest you go and read the steps Guardian journalists were made to take when the UK security services had them destroy the laptops containing the Snowden documents to find out just how thorough you need to be to guarantee data destruction.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Exactly what immediately occurred to me. Another scenario is to have one tethered to your laptop for when the Feebies jump you for your powered up laptop. The ultimate "Forced Dismount" so having the powered up drives means nothing. The Dread Pirate Roberts scenario.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: laptops containing the Snowden documents

"the steps Guardian journalists were made to take when the UK security services had them destroy the laptops containing the Snowden documents to find out just how thorough you need to be to guarantee data destruction."

That exercise wasn't about data destruction (e.g. there was already another copy of the data somewhere else, so the whole exercise was pointless from a confidentiality point of view).

That was a PR exercise about showing who's in charge here.

4. Aitor 1

Won't work.

There is a re-settable polymer fuse in the USB, and several capacitors plus a voltage divider for voltage sensing, and that will mean s short to ground.

You will kind of fry the computer, but no data will be lost.

So I think this is just a nuissance, with no practical use.

The "lost" usb with the trojan, that one is a good one..

3. Bob Vistakin
      Mushroom

Why bother with the USB stick?

If you want to trash a laptop just run Windows 10.

4. PleebSmash
      Trollface

He's no criminal vandal. Don't plug in strange USB sticks and you'll be just fine.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Anarchism is a political philosophy that advocates stateless societies, often defined as self-governed voluntary institutions. So I guess a Net anarchist would be someone who advocates an Internet which is not controlled by any political hierarchy, so probably running some sort of loose assortment of zero configuration protocols everywhere.

How does this have anything to do with vandalizing computers?

6. fruitoftheloon
      FAIL

@Charles Manning: Re: Net anarchist?

Charles,

Have you had ALL of your meds today?

In my shed I have:

- an oscilloscope (lovely old Tek...)

- cans of petrol

- gas canisters (butane etc)

- LOTS of powertools

- white spirit/meths/cellulose thinners

Just think of the havoc I could create with that lot eh?

Pls engage your brain in future before commentarding...

Kind regards,

Jay

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @ fruitoftheloon @Charles Manning: Net anarchist?

Just think of the havoc I could create with that lot eh?

True, but presumably you don't put your white spirit/meths/cellulose thinners into coke bottles and leave then in school playgrounds to see what happens? That would be the equivalent to distributing these USB sticks.

1. fruitoftheloon
          Happy

@ac re: @ fruitoftheloon @Charles Manning: Net anarchist?

Ac,

Indeed, did I miss the bit where it was mentioned that folk are arbitrarily leaving these devices out in the wild?

Regards,

Jay

2. PleebSmash

True, but presumably you don't put your white spirit/meths/cellulose thinners into coke bottles and leave then in school playgrounds to see what happens?

Maybe he should be doing that, but that would be littering.

So is leaving only USB sticks around, only something that could get lost in the laundry is more innocuous than bottles.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Paris Hilton

Self destruct potential?

What about having it set to auto-run a process that overwrites the hdd, fill memory with random rubbish and THEN fry the computer?

3. athame

"...presumably you don't put your white spirit/meths/cellulose thinners into coke bottles and leave then in school playgrounds to see what happens? That would be the equivalent to distributing these USB sticks."

What a great idea!

Why don't we go the whole hog and create child maiming landmines disguised as toys?

But wait! It's already been done. Also Russian I believe...

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We just need an Apple Lightning port version....

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> He's just a criminal vandal.

Why? He's just building the things, which is quite an interesting exercise, I find. Are weapons manufacturers criminal vandals too, in your opinion?

I am in fact considering buying one of those, to teach my computer a lesson now and then. >:-}

2. .@.

USB Opto-Isolators

Hah! Finally, my chance to make MEEEELIONS selling USB opto-isolators as security devices! :D

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: USB Opto-Isolators

I had been wondering if this guy was planning to sell a USB Tester device.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: USB Opto-Isolators

There are commercial USB isolators. You can even isolate the +5V and 0V too!

This would destroy the isolator, but the original USB host port might be fine.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Andy Tunnah

Re: Hmmm...

The article not only says this is an upgrade, but links to the original article from March. You basically offered up a link that is present in the article as some sort of proof of El Reg screwing up. By trying to look smart you came off looking like a tit

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm...

By trying to look smart you came off looking like a tit

Unless, of course, *that* was the aim. You never quite know here :).

4. Mark 85

WTF?

Why would anyone pick a USB stick and put it in their PC/laptop/whatever? It many ways, that's like picking up a floppy disc (remember them?) and putting it in the PC to "see what's on it". Ok.. maybe I'm paranoid, but I've seen viruses get passed around this way in the distant (a: b: drive era) past.

1. Kevin 6

Re: WTF?

I've done it in the past, but then again I keep a machine I don't care what happens to it(as I would throw it away otherwise), and use for experimentation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Never underestimate the dominance of casual voyeurism over "common" sense.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

>You can't catch malware simply by examining the contents of the drive, unless you've set your PC up in an incredibly foolish way...

Bollocks

>and of course you're going to scan the drive first thing.

Why?

Not sure what's more depressing: Your post, or the (3 up, 0 down) votes it's received.

Google "bad USB" (include the quotes) & grow up.

1. Dick Palmer
          WTF?

>"Not sure what's more depressing: Your post, or the (3 up, 0 down) votes it's received."

Both pale into insignificance next to the downvotes you're getting, without explanation, for pointing out the obvious. Perhaps their Google's broken at the ostrich farm?

https://srlabs.de/badusb/

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Roland6 Silver badge

"Disable automatic installation of USB keyboards and NICs by group policy and you're set."

Won't protect you against this little device, whereas epoxy glue in the USB port would...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like