back to article Hurd clings to Oracle’s cloud growth as overall revenue declines

Mark Hurd, joint chief exec at Oracle, has come out as predictably bullish on the company's cloud prospects, stating in an interview that customers can't get enough of its fluffy white stuff. Speaking to The Telegraph, Hurd said compared with 12 or 15 months ago "the customer is more excited about and open to the cloud". He …

1. Julz

A marvellous company. No really, it is, legally speaking, I can't say anything bad about it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"stating in an interview that customers can't get enough of its fluffy white stuff"

From Oracle?! I call bs.

Meanwhile Microsoft are the largest vendor for cloud by revenue, and market share for SQL Server continue to grow. Not looking good for Oracle imo - they are the next DEC / IBM.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: AC

".....Microsoft....." Having discussed this over more than a few beers I'm still a bit unsure of the real market movement, but I think the majority of Oracle's problem can be assigned to the walled-garden nature of their offering. In the old days they had Oracle software users over a barrel - if you had Oracle DB you really were too scared to move off it and suffered the steep costs - but that no longer applies. Other vendors will let you run what you like on their cloud, they don't punish you for it as Oracle are perceived to. Microsoft, for example, will actually help you run MariaDB on Azure (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-mariadb-cluster/). When our Oracle cloud rep came round earlier this year I did propose the idea of running MariaDB (the FOSS fork of Oracle's MySQL) on Oracle's cloud just to see the colour the rep turned - most amusing!

1. DainB Bronze badge

Re: AC

Here we go again, someone comparing Oracle DB to Maria DB, what a surprise.

It's like comparing cargo 747 to wheelbarrow, both will be able to move 50 kilos of manure, but only one can do 5 tonnes at once.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: DuhB Re: AC

"....cargo 747.... wheelbarrow...." Which begs the obvious question - if Larry thought everyone wanted to pay 747 prices for a database, why did he buy MySQL? ROFL!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is Steve Carrell from 40 Year Old Virgin running Oracle?

Just asking....

1. Daz555

Re: Why is Steve Carrell from 40 Year Old Virgin running Oracle?

At least it's not David Brent.

4. ducatis'r us
    Happy

The stark truth

with customers like these, the only way is up!

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/issue-archive/2013/13-may/o33ironman-1935564.html

5. Yugguy

Existentialism

We can't hear it.

But they are thinking:

"He's shagging the housemaid."

"She's shagging the gardener"

"Our kids are gone and we don't even know who they are anymore."

"We used to be so in love."

"HOW DID IT GET LIKE THIS????"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Worries

Hollis will sell you "an optimized" system to run Oracle and all your problems will be solved...

7. Smoking Gun

That picture made me laugh. Looks like Hurd followed through and the lady on the right has caught the whiff. Sums up Oracle nicely. Was this intended?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The lady on the right is the other half of the Hurd'n'Catz double act.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like