back to article Hackers can steal your BRAIN WAVES

BruCon: Behold the future: attackers can already get between brain-waves and hospital kit, and it's just going to get worse according to IOActive senior consultant Alejandro Hernández. Hernández says the ability to steal, manipulate, and replay brain waves used in electroencephalography (EEG) is already emerging, with consumer …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dynamo Humm

Might be wrong about this, but isn't brain analysis via EEG a bit like figuring out what goes on in a big factory by listening to the hum coming thru the factory wall?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Dynamo Humm

Yep, less in need for encryption than my browsing history, which will out me as someone who is about to go postal on politicians with ranged weapons if the current trend continues.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

what happens when your thumbs get numb?

Nice Zappa reference.

I remember my office was next to the server room, and one day I could tell we had a disk about to go. Sure enough, that afternoon I was swapping out a disk. I miss that old office...

So, maybe it's possible?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, but you had previous direct experience with bad disks. The main difficulty is we can't enter the 'factory' witout causing some harm, and we don't know what does what or where, and the lights are out. The place is also filled with a thick fog, so we can't see very far even with a good light, which can also cause harm.

Hey, maybe the hum really IS the best option!

2. frank ly

New?

A device monitors and records some kind of signal. The recording is stored on a computer. The computer is 'hacked' and the hacker can read the data. ..... Is this a surprise to anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New?

if that computer was hacked - a hospital user data storage server , there would be a lot more useful data than the "hum from the factory wall" of Brain ( or heart) monitoring data .

I guess the author is pointing out that the (incredibly useless) brain data can be lifted direct from the monitoring device . big whoop.

[edit] , oh , unless of course the hacker can repurpose the device , alter your brain waves , and take control of your brain, in which case the whoop is indeed , big.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

oh , unless of course the hacker can repurpose the device , alter your brain waves , and take control of your brain, in which case the whoop is indeed , big

"Mounting a scratch monkey", adapted to 21st century?

2. Paul Kinsler

Re: alter your brain waves , and take control

well, I suppose they could tweak your brainwave recording, either in transit or after storage, so that the EEG now matches both you and the criteria for being a bit murdery (or whatever worse thing can be thought up) ... now /that/ could cause you a few problems.

"Just /look/ at the EEG response we have on file when we show the accused this type of picture instead of all these other ordinary pictures. Clearly, etc etc"

3. Doctor_Wibble
        Black Helicopters

Ipcress v2.0 ...Re: New?

> [edit] , oh , unless of course the hacker can repurpose the device , alter your brain waves , and take control of your brain, in which case the whoop is indeed , big.

Taking control of a brain is not the right way to look at this - you don't have to understand the squishy equivalent of 1s and 0s, just use the monitoring to fine-tune and enhance the process, drastically reducing the length of time required.

The patient is already in position, easily medicated and restrained, and with modern technology you just need to put some lcd-screen glasses and earphones on them. You can be done before anybody notices. No empty warehouses required.

Traditional method: see wikipedia: The Ipcress File and some may remember Mr Caine in the accompanying documentary which demonstrates a modern caring approach to the principles of applied retrophrenology.

1. Little Mouse

Re: Ipcress v2.0 ...New?

Your brain and neural pathways are a dynamic system, capable of reconfiguring themselves based on the input they receive.

Stephen King wrote a couple of stories around the premise that just the right sensory "nudge" - ie a specific sight or sound - could be enough to cause someone's brain to do so in an uncontrollable downward spiral into suicide, or even to a full hard reset & wipe of the entire brain.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"oh , unless of course the hacker can repurpose the device , alter your brain waves , and take control of your brain, in which case the whoop is indeed , big."

All they would need to do is feed your brainwaves into some impressionable mind, say a 9 year old boy, through some Google Glasses and he would know everything you do. It would not surprise me if some TLA had not already done this.

For the WIN!

3. PleebSmash

the only way to win

Naughty or Nice? One Brain Scan Is Now All It Takes to Find Out

Soon, participating in medical care will be like gambling on the state of security systems. Lose just once and you are an open book.

4. Yugguy

Dollhouse

Now that was a good scifi series.

Rushed ending though.

5. Michael Habel

But, are the hackers smart enough to read the imprinted Umtimate Question to: Life, the Universe, and Everything? Or do they still need Marvin to do that?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Number 34,590

Where "my brainwaves" are on the list of "my stuff I don't want falling into the hands of hackers".

7. Someone_Somewhere

Jackin'

In 1990, when Gibson was the godfather of the future, I pondered the wisdom of jacking in to a publicly accessable system via direct neural interface - it'd certainly add a certain frisson of excitement to the whole process of accessing your email if you knew there was a chance that your brain might become infected as a result.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like