back to article US Treasury: How did ISIS get your trucks? Toyota: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The US Treasury's terrorism financing department has launched an enquiry into the fleet of Toyota trucks which feature prominently in ISIS propaganda videos. Counter-terrorism investigators are collaborating with the Japanese automotive manufacturer to figure out how Toyota's Hilux trucks and Land Cruisers have been obtained …

Page:

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Holmes

Not really sure it takes Sherlock Holmes.

They were bought by one of the countries that would like ISIS to triumph.

Saudi Arabia ?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. asdf

Re: Not really sure it takes Sherlock Holmes.

Saudi sucks and may well have paid for it but Turkey is the big country who (not so) secretly has a man crush on ISIS and whose borders those trucks probably crossed at one point or another.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

but but Turkey is the big country who

Turkey, due to its various Eu related aspirations imports (and assembles) Eu spec vehicles.

The Toyotas on the ISIS videos are not the Eu spec. The Eu spec has the extra diesel turbo intercooler input on top of the bonnet.

What you see has not gone through the normal import channels in Turkey. It has gone through somewhere else. The same goes for the "truck" version of the Landcruiser. You cannot buy that normally in Eu (and Turkey) at all. Even if you manage to get your mitts on one it will be diesel with the intercooler input, not with a smooth bonnet.

It is the middle-Eastern spec so it was bought for them by Saudi, Qatar or some other usual suspect. All we need is one captured and to read the VIN. Then it will become clear who supplies them (with evidence).

3. John Lilburne

Have they checked the whereabouts of Mark Thatcher these days?

4. Breen Whitman

Perhaps FSA / al Nusra Terrorists bought them, financed by selling the equipment/weapons the US gave them.

They then sold them to ISIS.

The original Source would be Turkey or Saudia Arabia.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Not really sure it takes Sherlock Holmes...Occams Razor?

...or alternatively, some of the towns and cities in the area now under ISIS control might just have had the odd vehicle dealership or two not to mention that the locals may have been "persuaded to donate" their privately owned vehicles.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Sounds to me like the US is trying to talk itself into a second round of extortion from the world's most successful carmaker.

Can't blame them. They have to pay the Chinese with sommat.

6. Tom_

Either that or VW is supplying them to try and divert attention from their emissions scandal.

1. macjules

Steady on old chap. Even delusional. psychotic, mass-murderering thugs should have SOME standards. If you're going to detonate a Toyota ISIS somewhere in downtown Damascus, at least check the emissions levels first.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Daily Torygraph alleges, allegedly. . .

quote: The US military has also supplied brand new Toyota vehicles as part of the country's assistance to the Syrian rebel opposition as it fights to oust Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president.

The treasury department could not be reached for comment on Wednesday, either for details on its interaction with Toyota, or on the question of whether some of [Dae'sh/ISIS/etc] Isil's vehicles may have come from US military efforts.

at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/11917994/US-government-asks-Toyota-Why-does-Isil-have-so-many-of-the-companys-vehicles.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The Daily Torygraph alleges, allegedly. . .

Which means that regardless how much I dislike our current villain of the day he has a point. Bomb 'em all. There is f*** all difference they are all joined at the him and transferring equipment, money and fighters between themselves.

FSA opposition? Yeah, more like ISIS purchasing.

8. Bleu

This kind of bullshit propaganda really has no place on the reg.

Since it is here, I will add:

Where did they get their huge supply of armoured Hummers?

Where did they obtain their supplies of US tanks, artillery, and anti-tank weapons?

Most telling of all ...

Why, in so many photos, do so many of them sport standard-issue US Army desert-combat boots? Usually, it is most.

Only exception is photos of their trainees, who do tend to wear sports shoes.

Sure, some of it is from Iraqi deserters, but that does *not* explain the appearance of US-made anti-tank weapons and the near-ubiquity of US-supplied boots.

Also does not explain the frequency of bits and pieces of US desert camouflage, US army trousers, in particular, appear to be very much in fashion, although not on quite the same scale as the US army standard-issue boots.

1. Joe Cooper

"Bullshit propaganda" indeed. Why the scare quotes on "supporting" the investigation? Is our Register writer trying to imply Toyota knowingly sold trucks to _ISIS_? As if that's the only rational explanation? Come on.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Go

Advertising potential?

If you need bomb-proof reliability in the most challenging conditions Toyota is your only option.

100% of jihadi terrorists trust their lives to Toyota.

2. Saigua

Who told your sharia guy how to dress?

Nuts, so much for sending dodgy lock codes to the boots. Or do they lock now?

I'd definitely want to have a good look over the infotainment system options. A/B test the New Humblest State.

3. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Mushroom

You're missing the point, the US Government wants to know why they didn't buy American.

1. Bleu

butthey do!

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Where did they obtain their supplies of US tanks, artillery, and anti-tank weapons?"

I had assumed that this was looted kit they'd acquired from overrun Iraqi bases - remember the Merkins withdrew from Iraq not long ago, and left the fledgling Iraqi military well supplied with a bunch of hardware to help them look after themselves ... unfortunately the soldiers of the fledgling Iraqi military were dead scared of the ravaging ISIS hordes and ran away from a number of encounters leaving their kit behind(*).

ISIS got their hands on quite a number of Iraqi weapons dumps as they overran positions and bases early on in their offensive. The Merkins sat on their hands and watched it happen, having abandoned their newly "liberated" friends to their fate.

(* Recognising of course that a number did stand and fought bravely, some of whom unfortunately were captured, and were later tortured and beheaded)

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

I wonder if ISIS have ever tried to claim under the warranty?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I wonder if ISIS have ever tried to claim under the warranty?"

A quick check on the options list suggests that machine guns are non-manufacturer-approved accessories that probably invalidate the warranty.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "I wonder if ISIS have ever tried to claim under the warranty?"

A quick check on the options list suggests that machine guns are non-manufacturer-approved accessories that probably invalidate the warranty.

I think the warranty on its paintwork is also void when we're talking about getting hit by lead slugs rather than water and dust. That must play havoc with insurance premiums :)

2. macjules

I am pretty certain that trying to claim 'accidental damage' warranty repairs after the car has been used by a martyrdom-seeking daesh doesn't work either.

3. enormous c word

No I think the ISIS model Landcruiser has the machine gun mounted as part of the standard issue for Saudi supplied trucks... ...well they pretty much all seem to have one

3. John 104

Direct Sales

Pretty sure it's the Japs selling direct to ISIS from the factory. At a huge discount of course. Probably a fleet vehicle arrangement.

Sometimes my government amazes me with their stupidity. (Actually, its most of the time)

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: Direct Sales

When you go to poor countries, you start realising that car manufacturers must have very flexible price lists. When I was in Cambodia 10 years ago, I did wonder how taxi drivers, in a near bankrupt country , managed to buy Toyota Camrys. SImilarly how do taxi drivers in poor African countries buy Mercedes? Aside from those single cyclider Chinese three wheelers, are there any cheap cars in poor countries?

1. F111F
        Boffin

Tip o'the day...those aren't the same Camrys and Mercedes sold in Europe or the US...amazing how much cheaper they are when substandard parts are used and safety equipment isn't installed...

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Can you cite anything to substantiate this rubbish?!

Esp. as the Camry has not been sold in Europe for well over a decade, and most Mercedes are premium priced cars, often bought by arse-hats ... all the way from the A-Class upwards.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's a lot of money you can save when you use local labour and are not too bothered about quality standards..

1. Valerion

You can save even more when the cars are nicked from Europe and shipped over...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In Japan there are very expensive MOT type tests for vehicles more than a handful of years old which 'encourages' people to buy a new vehicle more often than would probably otherwise be the case. We all know the reliability and longevity of today's Japanese cars and there is a HUGE export market to the rest of the world in these second hand cars which are usually fairly low mileage meaning that Toyotas are perhaps the most popular car in a lot of African countries. I know a guy who buys Toyotas from Japan and has them shipped direct to Pakistan for sale there, because they're much sought after.

4. TimR

"The US Treasury's terrorism financing department..."

Whose side are they on?

1. Midnight

The side of freedom, liberty and democracy, of course. Now please step into this room and we will have a quick chat about it, citizen.

2. fruitoftheloon
      Happy

@TimR

TimR,

their own...

/irony

1. schm0e

Re: @TimR

Don't confuse the crew with the ship, Dr. Kissinger.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Mushroom

Maybe, just maybe

these heavily armed people used coercion to obtain these vehicles

"Nice showroom you have there, would be such a shame if someone blew it up" (hence icon)

certainly an option worth considering

1. cantankerous swineherd

Re: Maybe, just maybe

good lord. that's really rather unsporting.

2. Phil W

Re: Maybe, just maybe

I think it's possibly more a case of

"would be such a shame if you were still in it with your feet nailed to the floor when someone blows it up, instead of outside handing over the keys"

I don't think their tactics include "give us what we want and we'll leave you alone", but they might include "give us what we want and maybe we won't be quite as nasty to you".

6. Grimsterise

Where did they get all those weapons and Humvees?

1. Calleb III

The US Treasury's terrorism financing department paid for them...

1. thenim

otherwise known as the

Clueless Interloping Agency...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Capitalism.. isn't that the whole point? So now they aren't supposed to buy stuff?

7. Paul Smith

Hmmm

They want to know where the trucks came from, but don't ask about the guns or the ammo in the backs of those trucks.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Naselus

Re: Hmmm

"They want to know where the trucks came from, but don't ask about the guns or the ammo in the backs of those trucks."

They already knew were those came from; they still have the receipts.

3. Eddy Ito

I think their M198 Howitzers marked "Property of the U.S. Armed Forces" have to be towed.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
      Unhappy

Oh, the usual culprits probably.

5. DButch

The trucks and weaponry are probably all paid for by the US' Security Assistance Program, and the Treasury department feigns dismay when they wind up being immediately transferred to the "bad guys" (who might well have been the good guys just the other day).

1. James Micallef Silver badge

Big problem is that middle east and gulf have lots of oil, so they have lots of cash to splash on weapons. Inevitably these trickle down into conflict zones (not to mention the weaponry that US deliberately introduced to the region). If NATO stops selling them weapons, they will buy from Russia and China. Even if no legitimate supplier would sell them any weapons, there are enough dodgy middlemen to supply them. they got the money, they will get weapons. And trucks etc.

The only way to solve the bloody middle east massacres is a massive switch to nuclear power and renewables (and hopefully eventually fission), then they won't have any money to buy weapons*. Then they can carry on fighting with sticks and stones while the rest of the world can ignore them.

*As far as I know there is no major weapons production in middle east / gulf, except maybe Iran?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Big problem is that middle east and gulf have lots of oil, so they have lots of cash to splash on weapons.

There's certainly no shortage of dodgy money, but the reality on the ground is that weaponry is cheap. IS may have captured a lot of US kit (in addiiton to stuff the Yanks supplied to groups that then joined IS), but the bulk of their strength is beaten up pickups, cheap-as-chips AK47s, and suicide bombers.

If the market for oil vanished overnight, and the sovereign wealth funds of oil exporters mysteriously shrivelled, the middle east would still be an uncivilised, smelly, seething, fighting mass.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon