back to article Microsoft previews less buggy OneDrive for Business client

Microsoft is previewing a new client for OneDrive for Business cloud storage, following many complaints about sync reliability in the existing client, which was based on Office Groove. OneDrive for Business is part of Office 365, where it is also known as SharePoint online. It uses different technology than the consumer …

1. CrosscutSaw

Yes

OneDrive sync is awful... it just sits and spins.

I inherited that POS through an acquisition; can't wait to wipe all those machines.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Wow, charging for such a sh!t service that they now use the free service as the underlying technology to charge for. Way to make money, not friends.

3. bobgameon

Placeholders

Microsoft has already said placeholders will be back next year. What else do they have to say?

I'm guessing it will come around the time the 1 year free windows upgrade is about to end.

4. Efros

Better in 10

I have noticed in the last month that I've been getting progressively fewer sync errors with Onedrive on my W10 machines to the point I haven't had one now for about 2 weeks. The multiple copies of documents with computer names incorporated into the filename also seem to have disappeared.

1. CrosscutSaw

Re: Better in 10

Typical Microsoft. "Oh you want xxx to work??? Well then, update to our newest crapware :) "

5. GrumpyKiwi

Static Links

It would be nice if they could sort out their issue with no longer giving static links to your files. Instead I get a dynamic link that becomes obsolete within a couple of hours. Makes it pretty bloody useless for hosting files I want to link clients etc. to.

I can see why some people might want that, and even why it could be the default, but for FSM's sake give me the option.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Microsoft QUALITY tools

Suck it up.

Yes, I do. Sucking hobo logo.jpg

7. adwoodrow

Not sure how this is going to help all the people that want to use it to Sync their SharePoint Online. I was very surprised to read in the FAQs that you will still have to use the old client for that. What the?

This makes not just OneDrive but also SharePoint Online unusable for us. Pathetic.

8. EssexGuy

Let's hope they fix the horribly broken Skype for Business next. Trying to add a consumer Skype user to my contacts always fails, with the username becoming a mangled string ending with @skypecid.net or @abch.com. The recipient never receives a contact request. Apparently it's too much to ask that "Skype for Business" can actually communicate with a "Skype" user...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like