back to article DfID becomes second ministry to SPURN Cabinet Office IT scheme

The Department for International Development is the second Whitehall ministry to shun the Cabinet Office's major back office outsourcing deals, The Register can reveal. The news raises serious questions around the viability of the privately-run shared services centres, both operated by business process outsourcing biz "arvato …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems to me that a lot of the savings are smoke and mirrors too

Save money on "back-office" by a) outsource the IT service and b) make the front office staff do all their own back office work. Finally c) make all the rules so fixed and byzantine to fit with the contracts that anything marginally out of profile simply cannot be achieved.

Watch the next complaint that the frontline teams are "unproductive"

2. zaax

In the mean time the DVLA brings IT back in house

3. Erik4872

This will keep happening over and over

IT is a funny beast. Companies hate having to pay for it, and at the same time they need it and it needs to be good quality. I've been working in IT for a little over 20 years and I've seen so many ways companies try to slice and dice the numbers. I've seen captive offshore centers, partnerships, full outsourcing, hiring permatemps instead of FTEs, embracing of the cloud, you name it...anything to make it look good to the spreadsheet-wielding MBA crowd.

The problem is that all this constant shifting is so much of a distraction that nothing gets done in-house, and outsourced service providers try to force-fit a company's infrastructure into their standard support model and provide the minimum level of work needed to keep the SLA. As a result, companies get an inflexible mess that takes immense amounts of effort to change or migrate.

1. Olius

Re: This will keep happening over and over

^^^ I've seen outsourcing followed by insourcing followed by outsourcing followed by ... so often, I can only conclude that its purpose must be to get rid of experienced staff in the most expensive way possible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon