back to article Hey Scandos, missed that parcel? Here’s some ransomware instead

Spam emails disguised as messages from local post offices – but actually packing the latest variant of the CryptoLocker ransomware – are being flung at surfers in Scandinavia. Heimdal Security reports that emails referring to an undelivered package and written in local languages are actually attempts to trick prospective marks …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scammers have been doing the missing parcel thing for ages, using courier companies, rather than post offices. Plausible language often; but usually to 'undisclosed recipients' which is the giveaway.

Also the thought of any of the courier companies round here actually getting the right email address is a little hard to believe.

2. robertcirca

Thinking is extremely hard work

Thinking seems to be extremely hard work for a lot of people

If you get such a mail and open the appendix you should have thought of several things before:

1) Do they know my email address (usually not)

2) Are they interested to tell you if something goes wrong (usually not)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the subject of scam mails; I'm getting a new one today, addressed to admistracao@[domain].com; with the attached PDF called "nota [domain].pdf

There was no message, so I really doubt that I would have been tempted to click on it, even if it was in the right language; but it's a new (to me) vector and I expect they'll polish up the presentation in the future. Watch your backs out there!

4. Queasy Rider

"small businesses are a more attractive target from the perspective of cybercrooks because they are likely to have more money to hand."

I don't think so. I believe small businesses are more likely to pay up because losing their data could cost them more than the ransom.

5. Alexis_Davis

A recent example is MOLE ransomware

"We cannot deliver your parcel arrived at ...

You can find additional information by clicking on the following link."

Yeah, this is a common trick used by cyber hackers to mislead users into clicking on the malicious link and then download the ransomware. MOLE is one of the example. See more detailed information here: http://guides.uufix.com/remove-mole-ransomware-and-restore-your-files

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like