back to article Sino the times, as Microsoft makes Baidu default search engine in China

Microsoft is cosying up with Chinese search engine Baidu in a deal which will see it ditch Bing as the default browser for Windows in the Middle Kingdom. Baidu is the dominant search engine in China with 600 million users, after Google was effectively booted out of the country. In a blog announcing the move, Microsoft's head …

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Becasue they wanted to?

Or because they were told they wanted to?

I'm betting (b)

2. TonyJ

Becasue they wanted to?

Or because they were told they wanted to?

I'm betting (b)

I'd agree. I imagine the conversation went something along the lines of "If you want to keep selling Windows here, you need to..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd agree. I imagine the conversation went something along the lines of "If you want to keep selling Windows here, you need to..."

Why can't Europe grow some balls? Not just with Microsoft.

1. dogged

Are you suggesting the Europe should insist that Microsoft make a different search engine the default in Edge in Europe?

Which search engine would you recommend?

Bear in mind, in order match Baidu's position in China it must be available in every language spoken in Europe and also based in Europe with no reliance ion any US company.

I look forward to your suggestions.

3. joed

big brother mentality on both sides

fits them well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: big brother mentality on both sides

This is about MS not Google

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: big brother mentality on both sides

Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss

{The WHO, Won't get fooled again}

4. Wade Burchette

Does this mean

Does this mean that all the tracking Windows 10 has will go to China instead of Microsoft?

1. Mark 85

Re: Does this mean

Probably both. And since the data will come to MS, the States will get a peek also and then share it with at least 4 other countries. Ah... the worker's paradise is coming to pass.

5. Palpy
    Paris Hilton

Off-topic, but --

"Baidu’s new Windows 10 distribution channel... will make it easy for Chinese internet users to download an official Windows 10 experience," says Yusuf Mehdi.

Somehow "download an official Windows 10 experience" made me laugh. Paris doesn't know WTF the silly salesman was thinking.

6. Big_Ted
    Angel

Could be good for us though

If Windows 10 is going to be rolled out to the "Chinese users in government and state-owned enterprises" you can bet they will demand all tank back functions are removed, that being the case then MS will have no excuse for not supporting this for everyone as it wont brek the OS......

7. Jay 2
    Facepalm

Makes me think the following, even if it's not true

Bing, the search engine so shit even the company that created it thinks you should use something else.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Makes me think the following, even if it's not true

Bing is certainly not as good as Google but it's not shit either. You're just preaching to the choir.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Makes me think the following, even if it's not true

Yeah I asked a pile of dog ordure some simple questions about LDAP corruption, NOTHING came up!

Bing had at least three links (OK one was for upgrade to 10) it's totally better than sh!t.

8. Roland6 Silver badge

No Cortana?

Given the recent announcement that Cortana ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/29/cortana_windows_lock_in/ )

would be tied to Edge and Bing, I can only assume MS won't be shipping Cortana as part of it's Chinese distribution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like