back to article Texan hotshot coughs to $4.5 million Bitcoin Ponzi scheme

The owner of Bitcoin Savings and Trust (BTCS&T) has admitted running a Ponzi scheme that defrauded people of millions of dollars in the crypto-currency. Texas resident Trendon Shavers, 33, has, in a deal with prosecutors, pleaded guilty to one count of securities fraud in a Manhattan federal court. He was cuffed and charged in …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Not a bad investment if he'd held on $4.5 to $60 mil in 2 years.

Now, can I interest any el Reg dealers in this once in a life time oppertunity....

2. Roq D. Kasba

Silly sausage - running a Ponzi to fleece the greedy is all well and good, but only taking $165k out of it? That's probably what tripped him up - greedy people could tell he wasn't a real banker as he wasn't nearly greedy enough himself.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I predict

One day, the term "ponzi" will be superseded with the term "coined" or some other variant based on "Bitcoin".

Looks like you've been coined, mate! [similar to conned]

4. Bc1609

Is it Worstall...

...who likes to comment on Bitcoin showcasing all the old scams and frauds, but compressed into a very small time frame? One of the Reg regulars, but I forget who.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Indeed, I remember reading that not long ago as well.

It sure seems to be true.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Is it Worstall...

Cryptocurrency fraud is webscale!

5. Mike Moyle

A fool and his money-like database object...

6. Jonathan Richards 1

BTC maths

Hmm. Feds calculate annualized rate as 3,641% p.a., but 1.01^365 is 37.78. You get close to 36.41 with 1.01^362. I deduce that BTCST had some built-in bank holidays!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like