back to article Hm, a scandal brewing, Kaiser? Healthcare giant buys How Kaiser Killed My Wife and other .coms

Kaiser Permanente has embarked on a bizarre and macabre domain-name registration spree. For reasons best known to the health-insurance giant, this week it cornered the market in dot-coms that profess to explain exactly how the company managed to murder those closest to you. So whether it is your children, your father, mother …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of family relationships accounted for. Aunt/uncle/niece/nephew; various step-relations plus lots of synonyms for the relationships already covered.

(...waits for them to buy them...)

I'd go for a .org anyway...you'd want to round up a posse before going after a big insurance company.

2. x 7

the obvious one would be........howkaiserkilledmy.family

1. PleebSmash

So obvious I was reaching for the reply button.

Quick, get HowKaiserKilledMyFamily.com

3. PleebSmash
    Trollface

How blue are you

HowKaiserShowedMeWhichDotOrgsToBuy.blue

http://dotblue.blue/why-blue

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

ITaughtTaylorSwiftHowToGiveHead.com , damn it. She said I could use that one. I'll just have to settle for ITaughtTaylorSwiftHowToGiveGoodHead.com

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

TaylorSwiftCanSuckGolfBallsThroughAStrawAndItsThanksToMyTeaching.com

or

OneWeirdTrickForGivingPerfectHeadThatTaylorSwiftKnowsAnd-I-CanTeachYouToo.com

...you wouldn't even have to bother with SEO for that one...

5. Old Handle

On a side note, I've always wondered what the hell their name is supposed to mean. The best I can make of it is "long live the emperor" or something of the sort. Strikes me as a weird choice and maybe just a little bit sinister. This domain purchase hasn't helped chance my opinion.

1. egreen99

Henry J. Kaiser: industrial tycoon

Henry J. Kaiser was an American industrial tycoon in the 1940's. He had shipyards in California. This being the 1940's, workers were always getting mangled and broken. He was spending a fortune sending workers off to hospitals to be patched up. So he had his idea -- why not have his own doctors and hospitals to take care of his mangled and broken workers on the cheap? That organization became Kaiser-Permanente once it opened membership to other industrial tycoons so they, too, could send their mangled and broken workers off to be fixed up for cheap by a bargain basement chain of hospitals and doctors with a corporate DNA of "fix up people good enough to come back to work, but don't spend a dime more than needed to do that." Cheapness -- and a willingness to kill patients who are too expensive by cheaping out on their care -- is built into the very genes of Kaiser. On the plus side, they won't bankrupt you if you get sick like the other American insurers. You don't know how lucky you Brits are to have the NHS, granted it has some of the problems of Kaiser, but without the venal core of "you'll never be able to work again so we no longer care."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Henry J. Kaiser: industrial tycoon

So how do you explain the 10 million people who are Kaiser members? Or are you just a troll?

Side note: the "Permanente" comes from the name of a creek near Henry's old ranch in the hills above the Silicon Valley, and is used to name the medical groups (doctors). KP is a three-headed entity: insurance, hospitals, medical groups that are mutually (and exclusively) interoperative but considered separate from a corporate structure perspective. It operates in 8 regions, some of which do not have hospitals so that leg of the stool is by contract to other hospitals.

Thus:

Kaiser Foundation Health Plan - non-profit

Kaiser Hospitals - non-profit

The Permanente Medical Group (NCAL) - for profit

etc.

1. egreen99

Re: Henry J. Kaiser: industrial tycoon

The vast majority of K-P members are like me -- we're members because if we get sick, K-P won't bankrupt our family into the poorhouse. We might die because their doctors are from 3rd world countries and are reliant on K-P's diagnostic database rather than on 1st world training, but that's a risk we take. But I don't sugar coat what K-P represents -- they represent the failure of the U.S. health care system to provide care that is both quality and affordable. In the US you can have quality, or you can have affordable, but in the U.S. system you cannot have both. K-P doesn't change that equation.

6. Aslan

Missed some,

HowKaiserKilledKenny.com

1. frank ly

Re: Missed some,

YouBastards.com

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Missed some,

That one's taken, dammit!

7. Mark 85

We could do this for the next week and if they were to buy all the names, they be broke pretty quick. Or, I suppose, they could fire everyone except for the CEO and his admin and downsize to a 2 person office. Save a bundle on salaries and real estate.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they got an email....

...like all the scam-spam that reads something like "we have been asked by a client to buy these names but as they are similar to yours we are obliged to offer you first option..." - usually those I've seen are offering the .cn and .asia variants of your existing .com

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed this one too

HowKaiserKilledJFK.com

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's coming

the rise of the Insurance/Political Complex.

1. Old Handle

Re: it's coming

Tell me about it, before you know it there will be a law requiring people to buy insurance or something.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like