back to article New Tizen version drops, World+Dog yawns

The developers of the Linux-based device operating system Tizen have announced the latest iteration of their TV and mobile offerings. The two device profiles released over the weekend abandon the X-server in favour of the newer and simpler Wayland windowing system, and Webkit2 has been replaced with the Chromium-efl Chromium/ …

1. eJ2095

Samsung tv

Got this software on my tv....

Sadly it works does the job its meant to but every now and then has a wobblier...

I.E on screen display goes AWOL when turning up the volume.

Youtube goes very off and stalls

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Samsung tv

So basically better than BT Vision boxes which can at random decided you don't want to watch the TV I'm just going to reset just before something important happens in whatever you are watching

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung tv

I haven't had any problems on my Sammy TV. It just seems to work. Youtube is fine, NetFlix and streaming from my server... even just watching TV :-)

The biggest issue I had was the set-up. The TV comes configured to be very bright and contrasty, probably to make it feel very HD, but it look terrible (at least to me).

I found a site where someone posted the settings to get the image to look good. I copied them and it now looks very good but getting it right entailed playing with settings which were somewhat convoluted.

I wasn't too surprised as the reviews had warned me that I'd need to play with the settings but it was quite a faff.

2. JLV

Samsung, Samsung, Samsung...

Why don't you release a decent, ad-free, performant TV remote app for your TVs instead of faffing around?

On iOS they had a good app with full control up to V2. Much better than using the hard remote. V3 lobotomized it down to pretty much only changing channels and volume. No official replacement and pretty much crudware/adware from devs.

On Google Play, Samsung has dozens of TV apps. Very hard to tell which one does what. At least one of them turns out to be a catalog of sorts to ... choose a Samsung TV. No app with anywhere near the level of capability of that defunct iOS app. I might have missed the right one, but why not make it more obvious then?

Is it better on the Samsung app store? Maybe my problem is that I committed a mortal sin and did not buy a Samsung phone, instead preferring a Nexus 5?

Next TV? LG, most likely. Done with Samsung.

p.s. Oh, and patch Android on your phones too, Samsung.

1. plasmoid

Re: Samsung, Samsung, Samsung...

You don't want an LG unless you want adverts on your home screen on your telly.

Its my device, why can't I choose?

1. JLV
        Thumb Up

Re: Samsung, Samsung, Samsung...

Oh, nice!

Thanks for warning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like