back to article Why did the chicken and CHiPs cross the road? FOWL-UP foiled in Oakland

Why did the chicken cross the road? The owner, Ken Houston, a former Oakland mayoral candidate, has stepped forward and revealed the answer to the Associated Press. The known fugitive chicken (KFC?), which was named Chip, for it was the California Highway Patrol (CHiP) that captured it, escaped from a cardboard box in the back …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Colonel Fault

"Houston was reportedly donating the birds to the garden at Stonehurst Edible Schoolyard, where several chickens had recently died. The circumstances of the school chickens' deaths were not stated."

Perhaps they were loved to death. ;-)

1. Mpeler
      Paris Hilton

Re: Colonel Fault

End of the show for "Snow"?

2. David Roberts

Well....

.....made me cackle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well....

I'm sure that bird was left in a rather fowl mood.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chicken run.

Whatever happens, it's sure to ruffle some feathers.

4. jake Silver badge

This is, like, ancient history.

To save one bird, the CHP held up thousands (tens of thousands?) of commuters. Why, exactly? Isn't that the definition of "impeding the flow of traffic", which is an infraction here in California?

Besides, who cares about a fucking chicken? I give them away by the dozens to local 4F & FFA groups. It's not exactly rocket science to keep chickens over populating to the point where they are a pretty good protein source.

Ignore the birds, keep driving. Kinda like squirrels.

1. jake Silver badge

::heh:: Re: This is, like, ancient history.

I wrote:

"I give them away by the dozens to local 4F & FFA groups."

That's "4H and FFA" ... left-right dyslexia? You decide ;-)

5. Alister

...Stonehurst Edible Schoolyard, where several chickens had recently died. The circumstances of the school chickens' deaths were not stated

Erm, isn't the clue in the title? Stonehurst Edible Schoolyard.

They obviously teach kids how to capture and eat the chickens!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So this how does your four legged chicken taste? never been able to catch one to find out

Ba dum tsshhh

Nice picture, I thought this was a gene malipulation gone wrong story at first rather than a play on chicken and chips

7. Your alien overlord - fear me

Stonehurst Edible Schoolyard, chickens die. Now I'm not in the police but even I can spot the clue in the schoolyard name.

8. Joe User
    Coat

The crime?

They charged the chicken with jaywalking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The crime?

And they likely offered to drop the jaywalking charge in return for becoming a stool pigeon...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

narcochicken?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/14/costa_rican_authorities_detain_drug_smuggling_pigeon/

10. Mpeler
    Coat

Fowl Play?

Police suspected fowl play in the matter. Meanwhile, "Chip" will be housed in a stack of cardboard boxes, to be named "Fowlty Towers"...

Coat, Shake-N-Bake, Colonel Sanders disguise... see ya...

11. Mpeler
    Coat

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I'd say it was

Poultry in motion...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon