back to article You're FIRE-D: Amazon quietly extinguishes its failed smartphone

The saga of Amazon's star-crossed Fire Phone looks to have ended, at last. The device, which was launched to much hype in June 2014, is now listed as "currently unavailable" on Amazon's e-commerce sites. A note on the Fire Phone's official product page says, "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock" – and you …

1. asdf

Too lazy to look but I wonder who sold more and who lost more the Amazon phone or the Facebook phone? My guess is Amazon wins on both accords as selling at a loss seems to come natural to them. Still both probably sold more at launch than the Kin line did over its entire fruit fly like lifespan.

1. Gio Ciampa

Got to generate a loss for tax purposes from somewhere...

2. Unicornpiss
    Meh

It didn't look that bad

There were some innovative features there. Really for me the deal breaker was the Fire OS that both spys on your and shamelessly markets to you. (and I am a long time Amazon Prime customer) If you could get it with Cyanogen or even just base unadulterated Android, I'd have been happy to own one.

3. Known Hero

screwed us big time :/

Sold us a phone phone without contract, refused to unlock it from the O2 network, both parties blame each other :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: screwed us big time :/

What happened then when you threatened to send in the lawyers?

1. Known Hero

Re: screwed us big time :/

not their problem :/

really just couldn't be arsed tbh, now its a toy for the 4 yo

4. Drudgery Leak

Dear Jeff

we don't love you or your products. Your on-line shop is very convenient and comprehensive. That is all.

thx,

5. steward

Amazon screws a great idea up - again

We've got Apple apps. We've got Android apps. We've got WinPhone apps.

How many app developers were going to write for a specialty Android fork (that is, FireOS)? Answer: Not many.

I finally upgraded from a dumphone to a smartphone. I would have gone for the Amazon phone except for one thing: Amazon cripples so many Android apps, it's app-surd. Very annoying too. There are so many basic functionality apps out there that my Kindle Fire tablet won't run.

Amazon, once again: trying to eat the whole thing, only to starve in the midst of plenty.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like