back to article Unholy Hong Kong hackers hit evangelicals with IE 0day

Hackers are already using an Internet Explorer vulnerability disclosed this week to hack members of an evangelical church. The attackers compromised the website of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hong Kong, injecting a malicious iFrame that redirects the faithful to a malicious website sporting the Internet Explorer …

1. Ole Juul

Hallelujah!

The unholy blackhats can gain unfettered access to the church-goer's computers

I bet the Evangelical Lutheran Church members have some of the most exciting computers you're likely to encounter. No?

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Hallelujah!

They have a direct fax line to God, don't you know?

1. Ole Juul

Ah yes, fax vobiscum and all that. I was thinking more along the lines of finding some hot daily affirmations or racy prayers.

2. arctic_haze
      Devil

Opening back doors may be indeed popular among at least some people averse to anti-conception. However I had no idea that what comes next is called "harvesting data".

2. John 62

Plain criminals vs State actors

Criminals are likely going for money, since the church members will be funding the church through some means so they're likely seen as affluent targets.

State actors may be looking for links to non-state-approved underground churches on the mainland. It's not the cultural revolution any more, but the communist party still doesn't like most of the churches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "the communist party still doesn't like most of the churches."

Given some of the religious groups in my area, I can't say that I blame them...

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Bleh

An ancient in IT world terms vulnerability is utilized by bastards of another nation, suddenly that is news?

OK, tomorrow, I expect from El Reg a story about "Sun rises in the east and amazingly sets in the west" story.

4. channel extended
    Happy

Evangelicals Backdoored.

I thought this was about the Ashley Madison fiasco. ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like