Cheap phone buying advice needed

This topic was created by Uncle Slacky .

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Linux

Cheap phone buying advice needed

I'm new to the whole smartphone thing (I prefer dumbphones) but as my daughter is looking for a cheap phone for general tinkering (she's doing a software engineering degree), I thought I'd ask here.

Given the recent outbreak of bugs, I guess something that's supported by CyanogenMod or Replicant would be best. Secondhand is acceptable, but presumably the battery would need to be easily replaceable in such a case. Is it better to get something new from e.g. Alibaba or secondhand from e.g. Cash Converters or similar? Any idea what sort of prices I should be looking for?

1. Antonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Re: Cheap phone buying advice needed

Some idea of your daughter's idea of "cheap" would be helpful. Along with any specific requirements like radio speed and band coverage.

I'd always favour (new) old stock over s/h old stock for this sort of stuff and probably be looking at things like these:

US$160 Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 http://www.ebay.com/itm/261974415727

US$210 Note 2 GT-N7100 http://www.ebay.com/itm/252032497383

US$310 Note 3 GT-N9005 http://www.ebay.com/itm/331609748395

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Around €200 is the maximum (we're in France). Ideally we need to buy something from a France-based website so that we can take advantage of our insurance's new-for-old replacement policy if need be.

She's looking for something smallish (4 to 4.5 inch screen) so the Moto G is looking quite good at the moment (€179 via her existing carrier) or possibly a Leagoo Lead 3 or 4 from phonedroid.fr for circa €110 - anyone know anything about the brand? http://www.phonedroid.fr/260-leagoo-lead-3.html

1. TeeCee Gold badge

The Moto G suffers from poor storage (bugger all internally and no expansion).

From the days when Google thought you'd keep all your stuff in the cloud and forgot that if you could afford the data charges for continuous access you wouldn't be buying a Moto G in the first place.....

2. TeeCee Gold badge

No 2 son just bought the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 on PAYG

That's a heck of a lot of device for the money.

1. Zmodem

"That's a heck of a lot of device for the money."

its another matter if comments on google play are full up with it does`nt on work this, or galaxy on every app as it goes

3. sunsj

Xiaomi or Huawei is good, cheap and durable

2. Zmodem

xperia m2, no samsung or apple rubbish, that are all gloss and no play, with or with out it rooted

xperia`s are laptops in your pocket either way

3. jinumm

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lenovo is nice when compared with Huawei which are budget phones in the smartphone segment. Huawei bit heavier than Lenovo. Also, it depends on the uusage, if one opts for heavy usage and are game lovers, then Lenovo is a good choice than Huawei

5. deannahupp369

Always needed a good advice for your all decision. like buying cheap phone. Generally I think that for save money we buy cheap quality phone. But it is to risk. Secondhand is acceptable when all records are clear about this phone. That's why you needed a good employment screening service who always protect us. Our service is always ready for your help.

6. Neil_Hines

Best Smartphones.

Hi, buddy, I also want to buy a new smartphone but now so many smartphones came that's why I am a bit confused. Anyone guide me about which smartphone I buy which have a good camera and working great.

1. Klose

Re: Best Smartphones.

Choose the function you most want. Like the screen size and material, CPU type, battery capacity, or memory, and so on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon