back to article ZUCK OFF: Facebook nixes internship after student embarrasses firm

Aran Khanna, the Harvard student who disclosed Facebook Messenger's location-spaffing qualities, had his internship offer withdrawn by Zuckerberg and Co because he – not they – had failed to appropriately consider users' privacy expectations. Khanna, a computer science student at Harvard, wrote a Chrome extension which …

Page:

1. Lee D Silver badge

Gosh, an exploit for a poor security issue "violated your terms".

Well, it's not like those black-hat hackers would ever have done that, is it?

Idiots, Facebook.

Though when asking him to take it down, that would be a critical moment that may well determine his future - but we have only Facebook's word on his response to that, or whether he even received such a request.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Guess Zuck really is a boy genius!

Think of how much money the world could save on security if we just made it against terms and conditions, why did no one come up with this brilliant idea before Zuck?

1. ratfox
        Paris Hilton

Re: Guess Zuck really is a boy genius!

Isn't the issue that he made freely available the tool to exploit the problem, rather than informing Facebook privately and letting them fix the bug in advance? That's what security researchers do usually, isn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Its sucks but with the US and most of western civilization culture being nothing but pure corporatism is it any surprise bad things happen when you go public against a corporation? More rights than individuals without any of the responsibilities (in the US companies can even have their own religions now).

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

Isn't the issue that he made freely available the tool to exploit the problem

I thought it was a feature?

Think of how much money the world could save on security if we just made it against terms and conditions, why did no one come up with this brilliant idea before Zuck?

I hate to tell you, but legislators perform this feat of high intelligence about every 48h.

1. P. Lee
            Big Brother

>I thought it was a feature?

It was a feature. Now they have to call it a bug and fix it.

You kids gerroff my lawn!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Holmes

The problem with that interpretation is that the geolocation information remained accessible well after the publication. Hell, on posts older than the recent fix, it's still accessible which speaks volumes about Facebook's internal policies. When busted they keep the information despite revision of stated policies. Think about that. Hard, please.

That's why Zuck & Co. are displeased with this internet citizen. At least the NSA and other denizen's of intelligence communies (supposedly, under limited circumstances, i. e. certainly useless information) purge their databases. Hmpf. Looking at my reservation in that last sentence, the NSA is as bad as Facebook! Hey, NSA you need reputation management. Bad.

2. Stevie

Though when asking him to take it down

I thought one of the issues with facebook was that it is impossible to take anything down once you've posted it.

2. Salts

Just about to say the same thing, "don't do this it's against our terms" yep that works

3. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Facepalm

Because a blackhat hacker is going to care about Ts&Cs...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Because a blackhat hacker is going to care about Ts&Cs.."

Of course they do. And haven't you noticed how the headers from their C&C servers have the evil bit set .

4. BenBell

"Second, this mapping tool scraped Facebook data in a way that violated our terms, and those terms exist to protect people's privacy and safety."

..Really, Facebook???

Surely the way to protect people's privacy and safety should be to write defensive code which doesn't allow this sort of behaviour by a third party?

If you must collect this data in the first place, protect it.

(posted from somewhere in the region of 52.89340, -1.43669 if you're interested, Zuck)

1. A K Stiles
      Coat

52.89340, -1.43669

Nice part of t'country that. (which now makes me think "You eh, wouldn't want anything to happen to it now, would you squire? Can't be too careful tha' knows!")

1. BenBell

Re: 52.89340, -1.43669

oh dear god no!!! The "Man Lee" Chinese (great name by the way) is amazing, please don't nuke it!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

What the PR man meant was that they can't do any real authentication and query restrictions based on everybody's privacy settings, that's too difficult.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>they can't do any real authentication and query restrictions based on everybody's privacy settings, that's too difficult.

Since when should a company care about their products feelings or comfort? You don't spend extra money on the product unless there is a clear ROI. Millennials hardly care about privacy or even security so why bother. Only slightly sarcastic. Obvious solution f__k farcebork. You can live life very comfortably without them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure I'm getting the point here.

Techie makes Bookface look silly and now we're surprised they no longer want to hire him?

*Either way I'm sure it's Bookface's fault and they should be shut down immediately*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Techie makes Bookface look silly and now we're surprised they no longer want to hire him?

Same thing occurred to me.

Regardless of what you think of Farcebook, they would hardly hire someone with which they are in dispute.

To be honest though, why would this individual want to work for a company that he has personally demonstrated to be ethically, erm, dodgy?

1. P. Lee

>they would hardly hire someone with which they are in dispute.

True, but the intern-ship offer had already been made and expertise had been demonstrated.

The point of an internship is that the intern learns something and the employer gets cheap labour in return. Friendface seems to not want to do any training, despite the technical aptitude shown.

The correct response should have been, "Oops, our bad. Come here and work with one of our more senior techies to show us how you would would fix the problem."

2. BenBell

Same reason a lot of people go to less than reputable large companies. Great Salary. Failing that, great stepping stone onto better things.

3. Jagged

I think the point is that they (Facebook) went into "dispute" when the proper response should have been "thank you very much for pointing out our mistake" but they are trying to abdicate responsibility.

No surprise there.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Here have an internship

Sounds a bit like the Seinfeld Soup Nazi... NO Internship for YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

7. Richard Taylor 2

I am sure he'll find a proper internship somewhere more interesting.

1. Mpeler
      Facepalm

a proper internship somewhere more interesting

Yep. Probably Google (doing Google+ or something else).

Facebook -> Facepalm, Facebork, Faceborg, Farcebook...

Security? Privacy? Ethics? what are they? (or, rather, where)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: a proper internship somewhere more interesting

Yep, hope Google/Alphabet will take him on

2. John Tserkezis

"I am sure he'll find a proper internship somewhere more interesting."

I'm also sure he'll find PAID work somewhere more interesting.

After all, an "intern" is analogous to free slave labour. Sure, it's marketed in a different way, but whichever way, for every one of him, there are 100 waiting in line.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

After all, an "intern" is analogous to free slave labour

Many companies offer paid internships. I don't know the ratio offhand for the undergrads in the Professional Writing program I sometimes teach in, but I do know many who have had paid positions for their required internships. Some are internal (in the university), but many are external.

8. Eduard Coli

Facebook, ethics????

Facebook, ethics, bwahahaha!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So... why did he want to work for Facebook anyway?

I would have assumed that anyone who knows and cares enough about privacy to have done what this guy did would already know about Facebook's contempt for its users' privacy. Which then begs the question as to why he wanted to work for them in the first place...?

Is this an example of youthful naivety- not seeing that the superficial problem- and trying to fix it- is treating the symptom (technical) rather than the obvious problem. This being that Facebook management- regardless of weasel-worded management claims to the contrary- is not interested in giving its users control of their privacy, but merely the illusion of this via tools to manage an intentionally over-complex and ever-shifting system that somehow always defaults to whatever privacy violation suits Facebook management.

Or is his naivety in the fact that he didn't realise anything which makes management (anywhere) look this bad- whether highlighting the issue was "helpful" or not- will get a vindictive response?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Facebook, ethics????

Exactly. The highest their "ethical standards" get is the hole in a Turkish toilet.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Facebook, ethics????

Doing the ethical thing == Doing the thing you can get away with

(Also "Slavish following the law, in particular bad law", depending on context)

9. casaloco

10 minutes

That's how long I think it will take for several other big-name IT companies to offer him a job.

10. Spasticus Autisticus
    Thumb Up

Internship sounds like its an unpaid job, hopefully he can get a proper paid one at a decent company - that's if he needs a job now.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Many internships are paid. See my response above.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scrape you!

What about browser's cache? Does that count as facebook scrapping? What about a browser written in python using chromedriver saving all output? Can you tell the difference? I bet you can't. It's my internet given right to connect and fetch data from remote services, if you don't want me to see your data take it off the internet. So shove your ToS up your ass.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Facebook claiming the high moral ground simply is not credible, as they have so ernestly always gone for the low moral ground for so long. (Yes, I know they're hardly alone in doing that - same with most large corporations these days, sadly).

And I notice that that remark doesn't say who 'the community' is that they are serving. So far as I can tell, it's the advertising community, and they want to splurge the user communities secrets to the advertisers community for mega bucks themselves - that is, after all, their business model. So it seems to me that they're just annoyed that someone found a way to splurge user data without Facebook getting a cut. Otherwise why not say that they felt it irresponsible to demonstrate a way to publish users data? Touch of weasel words, IMO.

Not that it'll matter too much longer, if MsSpace (Windows 10) gets to collect data from too many of Facebooks users before Facebook gets a sniff at it. Like, you know, the kind of thing that they wouldn't even normally post to Facebook. Private stuff, that you don't trust to the interwebs, you just leave it on your computer. Oh, wait...

1. Larhten

The community of advertisers and marketing people I would have thought...

13. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

He learned an important lesson

Corporations only care about their image.

14. Turtle

Relativity.

"Facebook, however, displaying extreme chutzpah, told Khanna that it had withdrawn his internship offer. The reason? His blog post did not reflect the 'high ethical standards' which it expects of its interns."

It's all relative. One man's "high ethical standards" are another man's "low-to-non-existent ethical standards with a large dose of brazenly hypocritical sanctimoniousness".

15. tp2

FaceBook is right about this

Facebook is right about this. Using security loophole to collect confidental information from facebook's servers is clearly illegal. It's the same as trying to login to secure system without having proper authorisation, i.e. trying to guess passwords. There's invisible legality line in such places, and anyone crossing that border is doing something illegal.

However, denying internship is pretty harsh consiquence for such actions. He could be simply not understanding where the legality line is located at... Finding loopholes in security is dangerous exactly for this reason -- it's easy to cross the authorisation -line -- Once the actions are not authorised, and it somehow skips proper authorisation mechanism, it is by default illegal action.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FaceBook is right about this

"Using security loophole to collect confidental information from facebook's servers is clearly illegal."

I don't want to get into a pissing match over this, but the primary illegal thing really should be disclosing confidential information to third parties. That, after all, is the main way of breaching the Official Secrets Act in this country.

What is confidential information? It is information that I wish to restrict to a small number of people. If, cluelessly, I leave the information lying around in a big envelope, it has in effect ceased to be confidential. If I can, say, just enter a phone number in a box and get back a whole load of associated information, then (in this country) the ICO should be having a word with the owner of the box. It's a bit different from a brute force password attack.

So - is this, as Judge Pickles once put it (and our police superintendent agreed with him), one of those things that is actually illegal or one of those things that is just annoying but part of living in society? My feeling is, if you (in effect) put a box on a website, you should be responsible for securing it, and the value of your responsibility is the value of the data which might be disclosed. Facebook is a big company; they have a big responsibility.

16. Mark 85

Real issue?

I think the real issue is that FB was pissed that they couldn't hang on to this data for themselves and their ad partners. Now that it's in the wild, any and all can scrape it and by-pass the FB money machine.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/facebook_privacy_flap_data_phone_number/

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's the hacker way

unless the target is Facebook.

These are exactly the people FB needs to hire, the ones that can find and fix problems and come up with innovative solutions.

I guess Facebook has shareholders to answer to, so they will act no different than IBM or Oracle would. Put away your hoodie, Zuck, and put on a suit, because you're a sellout.

19. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Depends on the company

"Isn't the issue that he made freely available the tool to exploit the problem, rather than informing Facebook privately and letting them fix the bug in advance? That's what security researchers do usually, isn't it?"

Depends on the company. Companies that try to hide the existence of bugs, claim bugs are features, and put off indefinitely fixing bugs, do not get this courtesy.

That is the problem, Facebook did not even consider this a security bug or leak. This "bug" was probably fully documented to "trusted third parties" to be able to get this info.

I wouldn't be surprised if this behavior wasn't in the fine print, but A) People don't read the fine print, and then are utterly shocked when behavior is revealed that was explicitly covered by the fine print. B) Others assume that the fine print is a "cover your ass" and covers every POSSIBLE activity, and naively assume this stuff is not actually being done. And facebook was clearly fine with that.

20. Steven Roper

In other news

Zuck has discovered we no longer need to waste time and money putting keys and locks on our houses and cars, because a simple sign saying "Thou shalt not steal" stuck on the front works perfectly to deter thieves, burglars and carjackers.

Canning the guy because he wrote code that "violated Facebook's terms and conditions?" Give me a fucking break.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks sensible to me

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the flaw and who should have fixed it this is a sensible decision commercially.

If the guy is bright enough to spot a flaw from outside your company and disloyal enough to create a publically available exploit rather than privately disclose it to you then letting him inside the corporate intranet is too big a risk given the modest upside of the free labour you'd get in return.

That says nothing of the rights and wrongs of how he and they approached it - a point I'm agnostic on - but in a very minor way it would be equivalent to an intelligence agency given Edward Snowden an internship.

I think this guy will struggle to find work at the other big corporates who will see similar reason to take a pass but have no shortage of interested parties in the startup community as he's clearly capable of hacking interesting things together.

22. T. F. M. Reader

Conflict of interest

I looks like FB are, not unexpectedly, in the wrong w.r.t. privacy and handling the "feature" both before and after exposure. The young man in question, however, should have realized that he was facing a conflict of interest (do they teach that at Harvard?). A responsible thing would be approach the (prospective?) employer, disclose the issue and the exploit, ask what the employer's position on public disclosure would be (the expected "don't even think about it" and the more reasonable "thank you, give us 30 days, we'll fix it and publish it, crediting you" would be among possible responses), and then decide whether to go public against FB's will or accept the internship offer, sign the confidentiality clauses, and keep mum. It would be clear then that the first choice, while, arguably, admirably ethical, would be incompatible with the expectation of employment. As far as I understand, the guy went ahead with public disclosure without even approaching his prospective employer. He may feel ethically in the right, but he should have realized he was closing any doors a FB for himself. Not a huge loss, if you ask me, but then don't make it an issue.

The guy clearly shows technical ability and some aspects of commitment to ethics. However, I probably would not hire him, either. I would expect from an employee who finds an issue with my company's product to work internally to resolve it (and to disclose the conflict of interest regarding the ethical responsibility). And if the issue is not resolved to his/her satisfaction, then don't expect to remain employed if you break a confidentiality clause, even for a good reason. If you get fired for it then you may think the employer acted unethically, but that's still a breach of contract. (Do you want to be employed at an unethical company, by the way?) I would not hire someone who is likely to publish stuff on a personal blog without going through internal channels first.

So, while I share everybody's sentiment about FB's attitude to privacy in general and in this case in particular I cannot fault them for withdrawing the internship offer.

NB: Whether or not the internship is paid or not, and whether or not one is employed or just offered employment, and whether or not a contract (and confidentiality clauses therein) has been signed or not is, IMHO, immaterial w.r.t. the conflict of interest question.

23. This Side Up
    FAIL

Ts & Cs

So Terms and Conditions are meant to protect our privacy? Yes, well that just about sums up Facebooks attitude to privacy and security.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Double Standards

So it's ok for Facebook to keep sharing user data against customers wishes either accidentally or intentionally by changing the T&C's and making bold but false assumptions, but when someone else (not them) does it - it's completely wrong and they should be punished.

Perhaps they should have hired the person to understand how they were exploited, figure out what went wrong internally with their processes (because a single student thwarted a company of thousands) and perhaps educate each other, instead they chose the belligerent path - again.

Facebook just don't get it - as usual.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like