back to article FAIL: Windows 10 bulk patch produces INFINITE CRASH LOOP

Microsoft’s first update to Windows 10 is bricking some users’ PCs. The cumulative update is rebooting after getting part way through the installation process on x64-based systems without completing set up. The update is KB3081424. The problem has been reported, here, on Microsoft's official forums. In the case of one user, …

Page:

1. DJV Silver badge
    FAIL

Try turning it off an...

... oh wait...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Try turning it off an...

At the very least, some of them, can be deferred, you just dont get the choice of which!! I wonder if we switch deferring on , then switch it off after a week or so if it will return to updating immediately... it could at least provide a little safety barrier.

And why oh why can't the "Long Term Servicing Branch" be proposed to Joe Public ?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"And why oh why can't the "Long Term Servicing Branch" be proposed to Joe Public ?"

Because Joe Public has to test the updates before they go into LTS. It sounds as if Joe Public is doing a great job.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Joe Q Public is now Microsoft's new QA department. Guess its a good thing the CEO is moving their software to cloud services as they are burning their own platform Nokia style.

1. Stella Duvel
            Angel

Sounds just like the QC department at Sinclair back in the day.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
              Big Brother

"Sounds just like the QC department at Sinclair back in the day."

At least Uncle Clive wasn't peddling spyware. And if he was...

10 REM 6675636b206f666620796f75206e6f7365792062616c6420676974

2. Michael Habel

Nothing to see here move along... I SAID MOVE ALONG! Don't you know Windows 10 is the GREATEST WINDOWS EVER!? Why?! 'Cause they said so... They always say that about their latest babies...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Stop

and have you seen their puke-inducing advertising campaign for that wonderful FREE software called Windows 10? I barfed all the way to the bathroom.. Will no-one think of the children? Oh, thank heavens, Microsoft already are! Well, that's all right then!

2. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Tut tut tut

So much finger waving, so many "told you so" s.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Tut tut tut

Funny how much schadenfreude and lack of customer goodwill you receive when you are a convicted monopolist with a ham fisted approach towards customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Tut tut tut

Is it time to "upgrade" to W11 already?

That came around faster than I was expecting...

2. Blank-Reg
    Facepalm

So much for forced updates being a good idea... Idiots

1. Planty Bronze badge
      Stop

It's Microsoft, did you expect windows 10 free to ACTUALLY mean free?

The only free here is free beta testing for Microsoft.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So much for forced updates being a good idea... Idiots"

When I mentioned something similar on another site you'd be amazed how much flak I got from MS fanboys. They seemed to be of the opinion it was an idea birthed of pure genius. You just can't educate pork I suppose.

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

(I'm not defending Microsoft so no down-votes unless you read all the post - it is quite short)

Not a good start for W10.

Has anyone any idea of the relative numbers of different unique Windows/Android/Mac machines out there. My gut feeling is between 1,000 and 1,000,000 for MS over the others. So in one way MS has done well to only bork a few PCs. On the other hand they have some of the best engineering talent in the world, but no PHB listened to "No, don't do it!"?

3. hplasm
    Devil

Film @ 11

Windows 10 -Fifty First Updates.

It's a comedy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Film @ 11

No, it's a tragedy...

1. adnim
        Meh

Nope its to be avoided.

I said windows 10 would be a train crash... How did I know? 20+ years experience of supporting Microsoft's broken products.. And this shit was so rushed. Can't tell kids anything these days, they know it all.

Windows 7 is/was the pinnacle of Microsoft OS after SP1. Prior to that it was Horace goes skiing.

Games are the only reason I run Windows 7.... I am such a sad git, still gaming since '83. wish I had a life :-)

1. Graham Marsden
          Facepalm

No, it's a farce!

2. TimeMaster T

Depends on what OS your using.

Win 10, Tragedy

Vista to 7, its a lite drama.

Mac and Linux, its a comedy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, it's Jar Jar Binks handling the hydrospanner

2. tempemeaty

"Depends on what OS your using.

Win 10, Tragedy

Vista to 7, its a lite drama.

Mac and Linux, its a comedy."

You get an up vote sir. Thank you!

3. Michael Habel

Re: Depends on what OS your using

Win OSX - A tragedy

Vista - 7 Pure drama. till 7 hit. Then it took a more lighter turn.

Mac - Is more or less a comedy

Linux - Not so funny anymore, there funny man!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

windows has become more and more like a Ben Stiller Movie

Everyone seems to be just that little bit worse than the previous one.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Linux

Ooh, I dunno. Linux makes me laugh and smile everyday - because it just works and is such a relief to use after having to struggle with Windows at work all day!

4. MJI Silver badge

XP, a classic

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Mac and Linux, its a comedy."

Linux - deadly serious on the server side, comical on the desktop.

6. Naughtyhorse

Re: Depends on what OS your using.

windows for workgroups - a period drama

7. Trigonoceps occipitalis

CPM - Tonight's black and white classic

4. bigtimehustler

They have just improved the update experience so much, they want you to experience it again and again!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Haha

+1

It's only in the mind:

Reboot loop

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you go down that road:

MOU IKKAI (once more)

Better be anonymous

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. 2StrokeRider

Brings back the long ago coined phrase "Windows, a virus with a user interface".

7. theOtherJT Silver badge

And this, children...

...is why we have a testing pool before updates are allowed into production. You hear me Microsoft? Testing pool.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Windows

Re: And this, children...

Er, we are the testing pool.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, the Alpha testing tool....

1. tfoale

Microsoft seems to regard its customers as a bunch of tools.

2. Michael Habel

Now now... Everybody knows those are the insiders.... that get the first builds...

2. king of foo

pool's closed...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

My inner child was giggling maniacally at the Caddy Shack scene despite having seen it a number of times over the years.

3. Michael Habel

A testing pool you say?! YOu mean all those Alpha Insider *cough* pre 29.07.2015 Beta Testers?! *cough* They got bumped up the chain a bit, and are running the Alpha builds now....Everyone else on "Home", or "Professional" IS THE BETA TESTER NOW!

The only prayer you now have on Windows 10 is to have cam off a Windows 7 Ultimate install.. i.e. Your now on 10 Pro. Where you should have the option of blocking this detritus for the minimal time of ~four months, while the plebe classes get nailed to the trees.

1. P. Lee

>The only prayer you now have on Windows 10 is to have cam off a Windows 7 Ultimate install.

Or be running a (ahem) test environment with MSDN licenses... ;)

8. cmgangrel

This update worked fine for me. Then again, I somehow have avoided all problems that other updates have had over the years... and yeah, I am one of those who updates when they are available.

1. asdf

good for you

Well because it works for you I am sure it works for every other hardware and software combination out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: good for you

And there lies the problem, multiple hardware platforms.

That is why most of the commercial systems, Apple and even DEC, due to the hardware and software coming from the same vendor, install with less hassle.

1. asdf

>DEC ... install with less hassle.

Only after going through the massive hassle that was their sales force first. DEC was proof that your tech can be 5 years ahead of any of your competitors but sales/management can still screw it up.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

And there lies the problem, multiple hardware platforms.

Removing dud users from the Registry helps

Implying this has anything at all to do with "multiple hardware platforms"

3. P. Lee

>That is why most of the commercial systems, Apple and even DEC, due to the hardware and software coming from the same vendor, install with less hassle.

Hmmm, I just took a look at my wife's mac this morning - some problem with SMB-based favourites in the finder sidebar disappearing if a "locked" item is selected first on power-on/after sleep. If google is anything to go by, that gem appears to go all the way back to snow leopard. The vendor can't be bothered to fix it.

In the W10 case, I'm not buying the "multiple platforms" thing. During the update process, it just needs to read and write files, probably on a single disk. If the OS can't do that, its really time to look elsewhere. Really, for the update process, even after a reboot, you want a minimal system load, so you don't have other design decisions (such as graphics in the kernel) impacting your procedure. To wit, run level 3.

4. Kubla Cant

@Aimee And there lies the problem, multiple hardware platforms.

That is why most of the commercial systems, Apple and even DEC, due to the hardware and software coming from the same vendor, install with less hassle.

Yeah. The mainly problem-free installation and patch regime of Linux distros is because they restrict themselves to a single hardware vendor, too.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like