back to article Australia: your real comms minister is George Brandis

Australia's tech sector could be forgiven for regretting the welcomes it gave Malcolm Turnbull to the communications ministry in 2013. The Attorney-General's Department, in fact, seems to exercise more effective ministerial control over the telecommunications industry than its own minister. In 2013 it was argued that Turnbull …

1. Tac Eht Xilef

"He's been unable to carry out the Prime Directive of most telecommunications ministers, the at-all-costs protection of Telstra ..."

Oh, I dunno about that - Telstra is the big winner out of Turnbull's reversal of the NBN rollout. And it's been evident for years that Telstra doesn't actually want to be in the communications business - they want to be in the 'charging people for communications' business.

2. aberglas

Turnbull is still aiming at PM

That's what I thought when I heard him attack the ABC over the Q&A Mallah affair. He needs to appeal to the liberal right.

3. Mark 65

You say he capitulated

You claim he capitulated multiple times. Have you ever considered that, as principal opponent for the PM-ship, perhaps, just perhaps, Tony Abbott doesn't give a flying fuck what Malcolm thinks or wants? It's a captain's call after all.

4. rtb61

The real question about what will be Turnbull's future rests not with the LNP but with the Labour and the Greens, will they launch a Royal Commission into the purposeful destruction of the NBN in order to favour News Corporation, Telstra and Foxtel.

An investigation would likley see a few of the conspirators with a custodial sentence.

1. Jasonk

fully costed plan, ready to rollout out as soon as being elected, FTTN to be delivered by 2016, and min of 25Mbps

Would love a RC into if there was really a fully costed plan since it only came it light 3 days before the election.

5. stratcat

Curse you, El Reg!

I'd almost forgotten about Helen Coonan until I read this article.

Grrr.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon