back to article Windows 10 is FORCING ITSELF onto domain happy Windows 7 PCs

Windows 7 PCs are being force fed a diet of Windows 10, breaking a promise made by Microsoft. The problem is affecting domain-attached Windows 7 PCs not signed up to Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) for patches and updates, but looking for a Microsoft update instead. The upshot is PCs, ranging from 10s to hundreds at a …

Page:

1. nematoad
    Facepalm

A gift horse?

These companies should not complain. After all this is a "Free" download and they should never look a gift horse in the mouth.

So what if your business is knocked off-line by this benign DDoS, you should just be grateful and take what you are given,

/sarcasm

What a crock of shit.

1. MarkSitkowski

Re: A gift horse?

Having fallen on my head recently, I accepted their gift horse over the weekend. When it wouldn't run the only application for which I use a PC ('Reflection X', which connects me to a Unix box), I hit the Revert to Windows 7 button.

When Win 7 finally reappeared, there was a gloating note in the corner saying 'This copy of Windows is not genuine'. Restoring backups didn't work, with the smug message 'Your system files were not altered'

I now have the choice of putting Win 10 back, or forking out for another copy of Win 7, which will probably trash my disk, if past experience is anything to go by.

How do I get Linux...?

1. Tom 35

Re: A gift horse?

Did you try the phone to activate method? I've has success a few times.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Mushroom

Wonder how many bankruptcies will result

And how many lawsuits?

I can imagine there are a few people being shouted at in Redmond today...

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Happy

Re: Wonder how many bankruptcies will result

"I can imagine there are a few people being shouted at in Redmond today..."

And a whole lot of marketing types out on the razz tonight on the huge bonuses they'll be getting for getting the Win10 install numbers through the roof!

2. Rich 11

Re: Wonder how many bankruptcies will result

I can imagine there are a few people being shouted at in Redmond today...

It might explain why I've been waiting so long for a support call to be returned (thankfully for a less troublesome problem).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oi, moiety, what are you thinking?

Let some magic cure .exe solve all my problems!

Fuck that.

Why are you recommending a piece of software you have not used and have no idea what it will do?

Fortunately El Reg readers will be intelligent enough to ignore the poor advice you have given, please don't post it anywhere else.

1. Danny 14

Re: What are you thinking?

random EXE from a random site recommended by some random internet guy. Seems legit, i'll get a GPO scripted installation up right away.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Fair point. Duly withdrawn.

1. asdf

Up vote for taking the bitter medicine lol.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

We haff ways of MAKING you inztall!

So they DIDN'T sign up for the free download-upgrade (the downlorade?) but are still getting it?

Very much highly irregular. That's not the ocean you hear, that's a chorus of lawyers.

1. tony72

Re: We haff ways of MAKING you inztall!

I'm surprised if this is true. In testing, I actually manually installed the updates associated with the windows 10 update on a domain-joined Windows 7 Professional test machine, and manually ran the compatibility appraiser thing, and could not get the "Get Windows 10" icon to appear, so I thought it was all good. I'll be mightily unhappy if Windows 10 upgrades happen anyway, but no sign of it so far. I only deal with a handful of machines though.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Flame

This forced 3Gb download is great for people working with a mobile connection.

Maybe a workaround for Windows 8 is to mark all WiFi connections as metered.

1. JEDIDIAH
        Mushroom

I was wondering if something like this was impacting my machine at the office, my connection to it, and the general sluggishness of the work network. It seemed like a little too much of a coincidence...

They're stealing our kittens!

5. Andy Non Silver badge
    Windows

YOU WILL HAVE WINDOWS 10 AND LIKE IT.

IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.

/Sarcasm.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YOU WILL HAVE WINDOWS 10 AND LIKE IT.

You will be assimilated:

Not one of us ?

1. hplasm
        Pirate

Re: YOU WILL HAVE WINDOWS 10 AND LIKE IT.

A:You will be assimilated:

Q:The Reg contacted Microsoft for comment. We will update you with their response.

6. Mike 125

wow

This has all the makings of total f#king disaster. Slow car crash time. You can somehow just sense it. Updates off, for now.

1. Danny 14

Re: wow

but on the plus side, moving to WSUS is generally a good idea.

1. td97402

"but on the plus side, moving to WSUS is generally a good idea."

Not every small shop can afford to set up a WSUS server.

1. dmacleo

if they are already on domain they can, although not best practice, use the DC as wsus much like SBS or essentials servers do.

if under 25 client pcs manage engine desktop central can also be used as a free software and update control and that has no problems being run on a DC.

I forced the update on some test vm here on domain yet the upgrade never appeared, 2 minutes after removing from domain (and I do use wsus) the upgrade button appeared.

2. Hollerith 1

So they finally make a

somethign that people pretty much like, ending the sh~tstorm that was Windows 8/8a, and then they put the shotgun firmly against their other foot and pull the trigger.

They really do need a Devil's Advocate Department that asks "what could go wrong here?" in every scenario and have the power to be heard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"somethign that people pretty much like, ending the sh~tstorm that was Windows 8/8a"

I pretty much don't like, reverted to W7Pro when none of my DVD writers were recognised and a whole host of other small problems also appeared. Fortunately it reverted perfectly as far as I can tell. I'll maybe take a look around June 2016, meanwhile W8.1 with Classic Shell or any of the others is perfectly adequate.

2. msknight

"They really do need a Devil's Advocate Department"

...they don't need one. They already ARE the devil.

7. Paul Shirley

also autoticking the upgrade button in Win Update

Caught the sneak bastards autoselecting 'upgrade to Win10' in the optional updates section of Win Update on both my PCs. Only takes one accident and your PC is infested prematurely. Hiding that update seems to have fixed the problem for now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: also autoticking the upgrade button in Win Update

"Caught the sneak bastards autoselecting 'upgrade to Win10' in the optional updates section of Win Update on both my PCs."

That means some of my friends are going to end up with it installed. As removing the KBs was too tricky for ordinary users I just told them not to click on the W10 update icon. I can only hope there is a prompt that makes it clear that W10 is going to install - and that they decline it. If a machine has to come back to be cleaned up then that will cost me £££s as they are all a long way away.

Linux Mint is now definitely my next project - while W7 keeps my current applications going.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

Yes, but KB3035583 comes back again.

And again.

And again.

1. Grade%

After reading your post I checked my update status and lo what do you know! I had to check and hide one "important" update and one optional update that were only there to thwart my previous commands to not install.

Also, for the first time EVER, update offered an optional graphics driver from AMD! Now, I know AMD has abandoned my GPU since 2013 and every new driver iteration created the same problem that AMD has refused to fix: Namely, that if the laptop is attached to an external monitor the backlight on the laptop will forever after be disabled until that driver is reverted back to the last known good one.

So, that means that if you unknowingly install the driver and then, you know, go mobile, you get a black screen when you lift the laptop lid! So, in the interest of Science I installed it and found, no, the laptop screen backlight issue had NOT been fixed. Hung head and restored back to previous version and promptly fired off an emphatic pleading letter to AMD support -- the gist of which was to request that if they were going to let MS handle driver installation then the least they could would be to address the problem they introduced two years ago.

I predict that shortly there will be a slew of faulty drivers installed in various machines that the users (because they know the manufacturers' progress is often retrograde) will have no option to refuse because the providers have now bedded with MicroSoft to deliver updates that can't be refused!

double_facepalm.gif

1. Paul Shirley
          Facepalm

Re: broken drivers

I'm looking forward to discovering if my hidden bad driver updates remain hidden after I finally allow Win10 to install (which sadly will be required for work sooner than I'm happy with). Let's just say I'm not optimistic.

3. joed

You wished. This update keeps un-hiding itself (and so does Silverlight). It's this important (for MS).

1. Mark 85

You beat me too it... you noticed that also. I'm surprised since I read that Silverlight is going away yet the updates keep trying to install it.

The price of a happy PC is eternal vigilance against the OS maker.

4. BongoJoe
      Facepalm

And people downvoted me when I said that I have turned off my Update Service in W7...

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Windows

You will be assimilated into windows 10!

I guess that Redmond is trying to say,

There is no escaping it is there so why not stop this futile resistance and join the Borg. Once in there is no escape (subscriptions ahead)

1. Philip Storry

Re: You will be assimilated into windows 10!

This Dilbert comic - from January 1997! - seems highly appropriate here:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1997-01-15

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is there a way to find old Dilbert cartoons?

There was also one where Dilbert installed a new application. As part of the install process it said something like

"Checking for space - deleting applications you don't need any more"

"Found credit card details - installing new software we think you need".

1. Hud Dunlap
          Boffin

Go to Dilbert.com and it has a search function.

2. DJV Silver badge

You mean this one: http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-12-29

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"You mean this one: [...]"

Yes - thank you for finding it. I will have to look at the site's search facilities for future reference. Phew - 1995! I remembered it was probably a modem connection - but thought it was a few years later.

9. SteveK

Not seeing any sign of it here on domain PCs that aren't using WSUS. Whether that's because we use a volume license product code I'm not sure. I do know that non-domain W7 PCs using the same volume license key did come up with the 'register for upgrades' thing, so it's not that in itself that's preventing it.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I wonder whether having current "Software Assurance" on the licence plays a part.

(I've noted with one client that all their systems are now running Office 2013, even though we install 2010 on all the laptops...)

1. SteveK

(I've noted with one client that all their systems are now running Office 2013, even though we install 2010 on all the laptops...)

Still have 2010 on the PC that upgraded, although it did seem to knock out the product activation from that so that it was reporting it was unlicensed, and install a 'Get Office' app that promptly needed 50Mb of updates,despite already having Office (just not the shiny version it wants me to have, presumably)

10. Snow Wombat
    Pint

blaming slack admins for this one

Given that WSUS is free, easy to set up and takes up very little space / resources then I kind of have no sympathy for admins who aren't running it.

But hey, I won't get in the way of a good whine at MS.

Beer icon because it's Friday and I get to go have a few because I run WSUS, so I don't have to worry about Win 10 issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: blaming slack admins for this one

Enjoy your pint. I'll be having some Harvey's Best later on.

However, have you given any thought (from your kinda smug POV) about all the small businesses out there that can't afford a proper admin let anone someone to run WSUS?

I full expect that some of these may well go to the wall because this update has stopped essential applications from running after the upgrade. What do they do then eh?

One commentator here said 'it will only get worse' a few days ago. I'm pleasantly surprised that the lawsuits (especially in the US) aren't already heading in the direction of MS.

Pass the popcorn please.

1. Mage Silver badge
        Angel

Re: One commentator here said 'it will only get worse' a few days ago

Probably me and a load of other 'tards.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Right now I've got a WSUS server running in a small business just to save on the crap bandwidth coming in. I haven't got the time to actually sit there running it and checking every update right now as it's not my primary job. WSUS is set to pretty much approve every security update and just get on with it as a result. So I totally agree with the comment made about small businesses not being able to afford the sysadmin to sit there and run it because for most of the real world that's what it's like.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ahhh but your forgetting how WSUS works with win7 clients. Its ok if your clients are LAN based, BUT if you have a large laptop fleet they will (when not on your LAN) try and get to your WSUS server, fail and then they will then try microsoft's windows update site where they will happily find the win10 download! There isn't a way to configure the behaviour of windows update to NOT look to Microsoft when not on the corporate LAN. We have problems with clients going off and downloading IE11 when some of our software will only work with IE10.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: There isn't a way....

One way is to edit your Hosts file

http://superuser.com/questions/363120/block-access-to-windows-update

1. PNGuinn
          FAIL

Re: Hosts file...

Thanks for that from all windows users.

You've now warned the beast to check and correct everyone's hosts files with such strange anomalies.

<smug grin>

Dumped 'em years ago. Never looked back.

/<smug grin>

4. eswan

>WSUS is free

And you get what you pay for. Reporting is crap, troubleshooting is

a nightmare. I've been trying to get approval for Shavlik for 10 years.

>takes up very little space / resources

Depending on your definition of 'very little'. 46 gig and a dedicated

web server instance here, not huge but I wouldn't call it insubstantial.

>I run WSUS, so I don't have to worry about Win 10 issues

I also run WSUS, and will be paying very close attention to what

my clients are doing.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like