back to article Global cybercrime fraud boss ran secret pro-Moscow intel sorties

The elusive head of one of the world's most successful online criminal gangs wanted by the FBI was quietly using the Gameover Zeus banking trojan for political espionage inline with Russian interests and may have the protection of Moscow, researchers contend. Evgeniy Mikhailovich Bogachev, better known online as Slavik, has …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

In one instance he probed Ankara regarding what it knew of the movement of Russian fighters to Syria, according to the research.

Hold on, there are "Russian fighters in Syria"? When? Why?? Unless these are irate jihadis from Chechnya.

1. John Savard

Maybe the article means Russia was selling airplanes to Syria.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly. There are a lot of Chechens, but not only, joining ISIS. And Putin may not be happy at all about an alliance between Chechens rebels and ISIS.

2. P. Lee

Spy agencies doing illegal things

and fleecing millions. Yet, that's just theft.

Meanwhile, the Australians are paying for warships to mess with refugees.

Even if it were "illegal," (it isn't), even if those on board were the scum of the earth (statistically probably not), how much might an immigrant cost? How many have been turned back? (633) And how much does it cost to run those warships?

Even if I don't agree with it, I can understand the slavery of the Southern States and the racist philosophy used to justify it. This Australian racism takes it to a whole new level of True Believer. Putting their money where their mouth is, pouring millions of dollars into keeping immigrants (oh the irony) out.

Personally, I'd let them in and ask if anyone knows how to play cricket. ;)

1. Dan Paul

Re: Spy agencies doing illegal things (What does that have to do with the article?)

Preventing illegal immigrants from reaching your shores is not racism! Why do you inflate the issue? Seems YOU are the Racist!

It's preventing a mass invasion of people who don't belong in your country no matter who they are or what "rights" YOU think they have. These are not "Refugees", they are illegal immigrants.

If they don't like where they live, they need to change their own country instead of trying to invade another. The US or Australia are not responsible for supporting non-citizens for any reason.

If they want to immigrate properly, they have to respect and follow the laws of the country they wish to enter. Then they aren't illegal anymore.

If they can't follow the law then they don't belong. Period

2. Mark 85

Re: Spy agencies doing illegal things

Illuminate me... I find your rant fascinating. What does this have to do with story about a cybercrime boss?

3. JLV

Re: Spy agencies doing illegal things

@ P. Lee.

Why stop here? There are at least 10-15 other Reg articles just today to which you could contribute your fascinating insights. They would surely be no less relevant there than here. You could even find an Australia-related article. Wow!

Comparing, favorably, US (and pre-1807 Euro) slavery to current Aussie anti-immigrant policies? A rhetorical stroke of genius which will convince even the most hardened Aussie Firster to hang his head in shame, I am sure.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One more reason

...to not trust the Russian government responsible for atrocities in Crimea and elsewhere.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: One more reason

> atrocities in Crimea

No-one even got killed.

Meanwhile the US has offed quite a few tens of thousands of Iraqis/Afghanis and continues to seek "regime change" in Syria by getting in bed with Saudi Arabia and other ISIS enablers. Well, the put some effort into it recently and sent 45 "moderate rebels" to Syria, who then get promply pwned by the Nusra front.

Give me 10 Putin instead of 1 Team America.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like