Samsung refuse warranty service on Note 3

This topic was created by 1980s_coder .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Vimes

Then surely it's their responsibility to replace it with a similar device - I.e. a note 4?

(If you mange to put off any replacement for a few weeks you might even manage to get a Note 5 since it's due out soon)

As for the CEOs email address:

http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9203

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

I would have felt less offended about it all if they'd even offered a loan handset, for the time it was to be away, but they didn't.

IIRC there's a plugin for Skype called Pamela that allows you to record the call.

One possible reaction would be to use it. Give them one last chance by calling them. Record said call, give them a liberal amount of rope to hang themselves with and if - as will probably happen - you don't get what you want you can include the entire conversation with them as an attachment in the email to the CEO (plus you can also use it to publicly shame them on Twitter if you're so inclined).

Of course doing that without telling them that the call has been recorded might be legally dubious. IANAL, so be careful.

I mean, that must be the easiest and most common repair ever, surely?

Not necessarily. If memory serves shortages in screens has been an issue over recent years, so it would only be an easy repair in the sense that it would be in the terms of the process of swapping the broken one with the new one, not the process of obtaining the new one in the first place.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Replacement

Since Samsung are unable to repair then request/demand a replacement.

Ask for a like-for-like replacement. You might get lucky and get an upgrade but don't expect one.

Considering the amount of time, effort, parts and logistics required this would be Sammy's cheapest option (other than getting you to give up).

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

I'd suggest sending email to the CEO (possibly using a temporary hotmail account set up for that in order to avoid any spam listing). But then this is just suggesting the obvious...

The only other thing I have to add is that providers seem to be abandoning their phones more quickly these days. Even a number of years ago this was happening with other companies like HTC and their HTC Desire model - after about a year it wasn't being supported any more. From Samsung's point of view the Note 3 is no longer the flagship phone - the Note 4 has taken that place.

Not that any of that excuses the responses of them that could easily be considered rude, but it might explain things at least since they appear to no longer consider it a handset worth supporting (at least if the responses you received are anything to go by).

In any case it might be worth avoiding them in future, especially since there are already rumours that the S7 might be released earlier than originally planned - this sort of planned obsolescence is only going to get worse for them if they increase the rate at which they release them.

Come to think of it: if it's a Note 3 then presumably it was bought within the last 2 years? Legally all such items bought within the EU have to have at least a 2 year warranty period (again IANAL). It might be worth threatening them with reporting them to Trading Standards since they would appear to have an obligation to either fix or replace it.

6. Vimes

I asked Samsung whether it was normal practice to ignore customer complaints. Their only response - understandable I suppose - was to ask if I had a reference number. (I suppose they assumed I was the one that had made the complaint).

Oh well...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 alternative options

1) Visit one of Samsung's high street stores. Get one of their sales staff to use their internal contacts.

2) Carphone Warehouse. They have a deal with Samsung and will provide a loaner (usually low end feature phone). I've dealt with them in the past with a faulty handset and they do take away a lot of the pain.

3) Litigation. This is not a solution to your end goal, just a means of re-emburstment.

Service centres:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation

1. Vimes

Re: 3 alternative options

1) Visit one of Samsung's high street stores. Get one of their sales staff to use their internal contacts.

That assumes they'll want to help. If it's anything like the 3 or other phone stores I've visited in the past, then they'll do their level best to avoid doing anything that doesn't involve selling you something.

2) Carphone Warehouse.

After the hack? Really? When they won't even tell people how far back the compromised data goes or accept that relying on stored email addresses to contact people isn't enough when they might have changed?

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Congratulations

Hope all of your ills are cured with this fix.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good phone, bad service

Really like my Note 3 and it's a shame you've had such a lemon.

Personally I'm glad I've not had to deal with the rough end of Samsung's service, so good for you sticking with it.

Almost in time for the Note 5... ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon