back to article German spooks want to charge journalists with TREASON for publishing spy plans

Two journalists have been threatened with jail time in Germany for publishing information about the extent of the country’s surveillance activities. Markus Beckedahl and Andre Meister, editors at stick-it-to-zer-man activist website Netzpolitik.org, received a letter on Thursday informing them that they were under …

1. Lionel Baden
    Happy

Oh Barbara ...

Do I hear your name being called

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh Barbara ...

It's *Barbra*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What are you two on about?

1. hplasm
          Happy

"What are you two on about?"

Roshambo...

2. Lionel Baden
      2. kryptonaut

Are you sure it wasn't Brahbrah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beQ9yChEcHw [Conchords]

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Mandatory Troll Icon

Woah. Just putting "Landesverrat" in print in Germany is bound to go down like a lead balloon with whirling swastikas.

3. TitterYeNot

Life Imitating Art Imitating Life Imitating Art

Dear Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution,

Please go get a copy of Das Leben der Anderen* and watch, absorb and inwardly digest. Might give you a clue about where we worry all this is heading.

Thank you.

*The Lives of Others

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Life Imitating Art Imitating Life Imitating Art

"As El Reg reported in July, the confidential sources behind those leaks fell under investigation following a complaint by Germany’s interior spooks, the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV)."

Does this means "The Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV)" is processing the complaint? If so, sounds like newspeak is really catching on. Of all the countries in the world that should truly fear an unbridled surveillance state......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this after making Snowden such a hero ...

Not so much fun when it happens to you, eh?

1. Probie

This is not the same

The response here is worse than with Snowden, Snowden was about active ongoing intelligence and capability. This is about proposed capability (not that I am saying the fuckers are not doing that right now, just the documents themselves were about proposed capability according to El Reg).

I say roll on the fat lady, or this case Brünnhilde of Streisand.

Let the intelligence folks swing from the gallows (metaphorically) for piss poor performance. Seriously I would be more inclined to JUST look inwards for a bunch of dicks letting the information get out in the first place, rather than add an attack to the one type of agency guaran-fucking-teed to make sure everyone knows about.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The deafening silence from Europe

When the Snowden files first aired, made me think "it's cos they're all at it"...

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    WTF?

received a letter...informing them...under investigation for treason

Does this strike anyone else as scare tactics because they don't actually think a charge of treason will stick? Next thing you know the miscreants will be invited to make an appointment at a convenient police station where they can be arrested in a nice civilized way.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works 4 me

A crim is a crim is a crim.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Works 4 me

Didn't the BND just recently "accidentally" shredder a whole shelf of documents about active neo-nazi groups? There was deep regrets and sundry "explanations" on how this could have happened but not much followup ...

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Works 4 me

A troll is a. . .

8. Intractable Potsherd

Tosser.

9. Mark 85

Precedents have been set...

The States are playing game with Snowden, there's Wikileaks, and probably others less well-known. Now Germany... We don't know about Russia and China, but I'm sure the rest of the world is on this same path.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course they are. Individuals and small groups have the capability to directly harm powerful individuals and their groups financially and/or existentially. We must be controlled so that the threat we pose is deflected or eliminated. Since those in power directly, or indirectly through financial arrangements (campaign donations), have shockingly improved capabilities (e.g. monitoring, censorship), it's not surprising at all that everyone of them is doing this or will be if the Hacking Team example is typical (very interesting reading. The only thing that is surprising is that individuals are able to get at least some of the word out about what is or will be happening at significant hazard to themselves. I consider them the real heroes although if reporters are now targets, I'll extend that same category to them as well.

Just a random thought, but here's my personal definition of a Warrior: Someone who defends those who are unable or unwilling to defend themselves. Sounds like some reporters out there in addition to the leakers. And I don't give a rat-frag which secrets come in from out in the cold. I've handled quite a bit of material that had the highest classifications possible and guess what? There was no reason it was classified at all as you can go to any good library and read it out of a book. From what I understand, over-classification is far, far worse today. [Which is how you end up with people being unable to discuss something just on the evening news or, worse, a newspaper/web page.]

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

50 years...

Isn't that about the length of time before the phrase "the only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history" applies?

12. Christian Berger

There's one interresting thing to note

Nobody, even the most dire proponents of those charges, is questioning that Netzpolitik.org is staffed by journalists.

We have come to a point where it's consensus that a donation based online magazine can be a reputed piece of journalism.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

15 years behind the pack....

While Germany stumbles over "planning" such a system, its ally friends went ahead and implemented mass surveilance anyway - without the consensus of of their citizens.

They've long moved on to desensetising their citizens, to the point that it has to be expected that your internet communication is monitored.

While Germans somehow still expect that their communication is private, people in the five eye countries would consider them delusional.

In this regard Assange and Snowden have done their counties a great service. The never ending "revelations" ot somebody spying on somebody else have had no impact on policy or actions within intelligence services. Living under the assumptions that "it happens" anyway and nothing can be done about it creates just the right athmosphere of complacency required to get away with it. It's really a Muppet Show where this week the US accuses the Cinese, then the Germans accuse the US and North Korea accuse everyone. I really enjoyed watching "The Interview".

So let Snowden and Assange come home and retire from active service.

Uh Oh - a black Van just pulled up in front of my house.... :)

15. Erewhon

Is it any surprise...

..those pricks in government want to be able to monitor and control information exchange by the people.

Every country has monitoring and surveillance of its citizens on the internet. Ever wondered why the government pushes for everyone to be on it - with money for rollout and all governent interaction (tax/benefits) on line.

Its for their benefit not yours.

16. rtb61

German 'lacking in'Intelligence Services today discovered the Streisand Affect. Kicking of a court case to protect their secrecy and skull duggery only to shine a massive spot light on it and achieve the exact opposite affect.

German 'lacking in'Intelligence Services now profoundly wishes the idiot who decided this was a good idea would have just sucked it up, rather than let their inflated ego get the better of them. If you want sheeple, America, the land of laughable exceptionlism is the place to go, not Germany.

Especially like the East Germans, I mean it's not like a few generations of East Germans as especially sensitive to being spied upon and will react very negatively to it and seek to ensure they do not become subject to it again.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

What is coming next?

I am sure the German spooks are very well aware of the Streisand Effect. This is not about protecting these documents: it is about chilling journalists from revealing information like this in the future.

I realise it would be traumatic for the journalists involved, but the best thing that could happen is that this case goes to court and is clearly struck down under freedom of the press.

My concern is that the case will be dropped (possibly the intention all along) but the threat will be effective to cause at least some of the press to not publish things in the future. At the very least, it can be an excuse for an editor who does not support publishing something to decide not to go ahead "to protect his journalists".

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...and they should!

No one has the right to disclose confidential data to the world, especially government program information designed for national security. I hope they spend the next 30 years in prison. Anyone with a clue knows that all countries capable use mass communications and other surveillance for national security and they should. Naturally the populace is oblivious to the threats around them and that is why people die from terrorism or have their bank accounts cleaned out by digital crims.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like