back to article UK.gov: Are we talking about Big Data enough? Should we plug it more?

The UK government's Science and Technology Committee has today opened an inquiry tasked with "examining the opportunities and risks of big data." The inquiry will look at whether the government is doing enough to promote the tech to Blighty's entrepreneurs, as well as issues around data protection and privacy. Nicola …

1. Uberseehandel

Forget Big Data

On the premise that infants need to learn to crawl before they can try walking, let alone running. It would make sense for .GOV to stick to trying its hand at walking for the foreseeable future.

When .GOV has some of its own talent who are capable of designing systems, and some successful implementations under their collective belts, then perhaps they might attempt something a bit more ambitious.

1. Hargrove

Re: Forget Big Data

Spot on, Uberseehandel.

I'm not sure the private sector is doing much better. IT provides a wonderful suite of tools for building effective systems. Unfortunately, from the users' perspectives the vast majority of what is built is supremely indifferent to what users need, want, or are actually doing with the technology at any given point in time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Forget Big Data

https://www.accountancylive.com/hmrc-investigations-how-connect-uses-big-data

That is a pretty impressive use of big data by .GOV - over a billion records, complex analytics and a £4Bn return.

2. Hargrove

Big data is the greatest, most wonderful, promising technology every devised . . .

if your end goal is a big, intrusive, and repressive totalitarian government.

Otherwise, not so much

3. future research

Never mind Betteridge's Law, you cynical mob

You could just not make the headline a question, rather than using opposite question to try and avoid Betteridge's Law complainants. e.g. Uk.gov: Thinks it is not doing enough to promote Big Data.

Also isn't Big Data, just the marketing speak for Data warehouse. Like "The Cloud" is for visualization.

1. Hargrove

Re: Never mind Betteridge's Law, you cynical mob

"Also isn't Big Data, just the marketing speak for Data warehouse. Like "The Cloud" is for visualization."

My take is that the Cloud has more to do with storage than visualization. But I may be wrong. I find The "Cloud" to be a very nebulous concept. I'm pretty foggy on it.

Big Data, specifically big data analytics, however, are perfectly clear. Once all the data is in the cloud, one simply applies Harry Seldon's principle of pychohysteria to craft a preternaturally intelligent semantic query to extract "THE ANSWER" to any question from "The Cloud."

So far the answer to every question has been "43,"

There are still a few bugs in the system

2. Uberseehandel

Re: Never mind Betteridge's Law, you cynical mob

Also isn't Big Data, just the marketing speak for Data warehouse. Like "The Cloud" is for visualization.

Big Data can mean whatever anybody wants it to mean, but I tend to regard it as involving a schemaless architecture and fanbois. Stick it in the cloud, and the fanbois have difficulty walking, sharding leaves them dribbling. But don't ask about transactions, or integrity, that isn't what the modern world is about.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“This inquiry will be weighing up how we can open up opportunities in big data for entrepreneurs, while ensuring that consumers feel their private data is protected,"

Note feel their data is protected as opposed to actually protecting the data. In other words, "How much milking can we do with minimal mooing?" I'll feel like my data is protected if you can just keep it the fuck away from entrepreneurs. Don't steal it in the first place would be favourite.

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

@moiety

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read this. I don't want to "feel" that my data is protected, I want to KNOW that my data is protected!

There are already too many organisations and businesses and governments who think that they should have free and unfettered access to everyone's data and, of course, then be able to sell it off to anyone they want (possibly with some sort of lip-service paid to "anonymisation"), but it is *our* data and *we* should have the right to decide who can get their hands on it.

And that's not simply "if you use this app you consent to us troughing your data, so if you don't like it, don't use it"!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Data

My company (::double-checks the coward box is ticked::) has a 'big data' department that like to think they should get involved anywhere where there's a database that wouldn't fit comfortably onto an Excel Spreadsheet ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like