Amazon is spamming customers...

This topic was created by Vimes .

1. Vimes

Amazon is spamming customers...

...and ICO says it's powerless to intervene.

https://patrick.seurre.com/?p=316

As others have noted elsewhere, it's an interesting leap from PECR to the DPA, and may not properly address the question of terratorial jurisdiction.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

Re: Amazon is spamming customers...

That would be option 'b'.

Personally speaking I would see no reason why I should have to unsubscribe from lists that were never subscribed to in the first place. If I see emails I don't expect to see then the last thing I will be doing is clicking on any links.

Amazon of all people should not be encouraging the wrong sort of behaviour.

The ICOs reaction to it is a little worrying too.

PECR != DPA, and their attempt at confusing the two is not exactly very comforting.

1. Vimes

But if you DO purchase from them, I don't see why, on a technical level, you would be reluctant to click througb a link in an email that originated from them.

Because we can't be absolutely certain the link is valid or that the email is in fact from them (although they don't seem to have disputed it so far). Remember that such emails are unsolicited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDN_homograph_attack

1. Vimes

It might also be worth noting that all other emails I get from Amazon are clearly linked to my usage of their services given the contents of said emails.

I would be happy with those links because unless Amazon itself has been hacked then the chances of other people randomly guessing what I've been looking for is sufficiently low to not worry about it.

2. Vimes

Well if more people refused to use them, as I have done ever since the "one-click" patent stupidity, they wouldn't be in a position to conduct themselves in such a way.

Another thought: some of the addresses being spammed are those associated with my Audible & Lovefilm accounts. Both of which have since been bought out by Amazon (and in the case of Lovefilm since renamed).

You can try and avoid them but even then they can still end up with your details...

1. Vimes

Yep. And because my main email address is different to any of the aliases used for the accounts their only question boiled down to 'give us your email address first', which suggests to me that they just want to specifically stop sending me the spam rather than stop sending any spam in the first place. No explanation of this apparent abuse of the soft opt-in rule.

1. Vimes

The complaint has already been sent, although I have yet to receive any confirmation.

Another thought: how can any data protection regime be run acceptably when it involves shifting responsibility from one country to another? How many languages are there in the EU, and how viable is it to have a system where those making the complaints might well not be understood by those receiving them?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

Great: now I've got a certain Blackadder episode stuck in my head, since even within the same language there can be problems (even more so when people want it).

My most enthusiastic contrafribularities.for having made such an excellent suggestion by the way. I hope I didn't confuse there - I'd be anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sausage!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon