back to article Dear diary. Gotta axe 15% of staff, it's like I'm cracking up – Qualcomm

Mobile chipmaker Qualcomm says it's putting its business under the microscope with an eye to restructuring after posting lackluster third-quarter results, including revenue that missed estimates. "We are making fundamental changes to position Qualcomm for improved execution, financial and operating performance," Qualcomm CEO …

1. Charles Manning

Why buy from overpriced Americans?

Hat's off to Qualcomm they've done some amazing stuff over the years.

But let's face it, the Chinese companies have figured things out and know how to make some great parts at very good prices. They're leaving the US parts makers behind.

Allwinner in particular is going well. In less than 5 years they've changed from a company with a funny name to one of the major chipmakers in the world (by volume). A year ago they were making the A33 quad core/GPU/codec tablet processor part for $4. Astounding. And they've been busy doing more since then.

1. milkbottle

Re: Why buy from overpriced Americans?

AllWinner today sells a 64-bit ARMv8 Cortex A53 for $5 (the AllWinner "A64" chip).

Could some (Chinese/Korean?) company please symbolically launch a Cortex-A53-based desktop, the size of a cigarette box, for the Walmart price of $29.99, on July 29th?

It wouldn't need to run Windows 10 to be a success!

2. Mark 85

Listening to the investors...

So we end up with a patent holding firm that can't collect and may head either to trolling or bankruptcy and a hardware firm that's in dire straits. I don't see this ending well... except for the investors who will probably profit from any breakup and sell-off.

3. oneeye

Doing business with China can be hazardous to your health!

In their lust for more Chinese business,they sold their sole to the Chinese devil. I agree with the comment above, it don't look like a good finish in the making )-:

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

"spin off its chip unit from its patent licensing biz?"

Where the hell do they think they get the patents to license???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like