back to article British spooks wave through Samsung S6 mobes for UK govt bods

Samsung's new handsets have been given the seal of approval from the information assurance arm of Britain's intelligence agency. The South Korean tech multinational reckoned that the certification was the first of its kind to be dished out to a mobile vendor in Blighty. Samsung's Galaxy S6 and S6 edge models were granted the …

1. Twilight Turtle

"...as well as in the pub sector"

How may I apply for this "pub sector"? I have a decade of experience in consuming fine ales which I think would greatly benefit potential employers.

1. goldcd

Re: "...as well as in the pub sector"

I assumed that was a reference to the number clearly working in pubs, due to the numbers of phones and laptops found in them.

See also trains.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CESG

Do seem to be very competent. Curious to know how they might have validated the phone and software though (within tight budgets)? Although I suppose Apple devices are on the list as well.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CESG

Apple devices aren't on the list and it's very doubtful if they ever are

3. elDog

Since these are completely open to 5 Eyes (and the Ruskis, Israelis, Chinese, ..., ..., ...)

Wouldn't it make sense to just say to hell with this encryption rot? Let's just have a giant tub full of all conversations held by everybody, everywhere, and sell the contents by query.

I'd say US$0.25 per minute would make someone a nice pocketful of change. Or maybe once it is no longer secret, it won't be worth anything.

Oh, and this tub already exists way out in the Utah desert.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Since these are completely open to 5 Eyes (and the Ruskis, Israelis, Chinese, ..., ..., ...)

And the tub is guarded by Gene Hackman, playing a saxophone

2. N13L5

Re: Since these are completely open to 5 Eyes (and the Ruskis, Israelis, Chinese, ..., ..., ...)

I think spooks just approved it to lure pub sector and crime sector into using it, knowing they bought one of the back doors directly from Samsung.

Now, if you steal one from a Samsung executive, chances are its backdoor free.

4. 0laf

Meh

CPA is just a Hammerite test. It does what it says on the tin.

OFFICIAL as a classification covers everything from public documents to information under the data protection act. You don't need to use certified equipment for OFFICIAL either.

I think Samsung are just trying to make more of this than it really is.

Samsung = Our phones can be really secure (if you configure them right and have MDM)

CESG = Yes, they're quite secure (if you configure them right and have MDM)

None-the-less the KNOX stuff is interesting from a security standpoint. Now you know it works.

1. getHandle

Re: Meh

"Now you know it hasn't been hacked yet" - FTFY. Having worked with Samsung engineers I don't have much faith...

2. Sarah Balfour
      FAIL

Re: Meh

That's RONSEAL you numpty!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OFFICIAL - Seriously?

So they are tested and approved for OFFICIAL GSC? Seriously? And that is news worthy...Must be a slow news day.Now if it was at SECRET or TOP SECRET fair enough but this seems a lot of hot air about nothing.

6. Anonymous C0ward
    Black Helicopters

You know the spooks

have it thoroughly pwned then.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quoted from Samsung Website

"the body tasked with providing assistance to Government Departments on commination security"

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-certified-as-secure-by-uk-goverment-organisation-cesg/

Commination the action of threatening divine vengeance.

"It is always nice to see and hear the screaming swifts fly at dusk"

8. Jedit Silver badge
    Alien

An obvious ploy

This is only happening because the MPs want them to play games on, and the S6 range have been selected because they want to get that unique card back for Hearthstone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like