back to article Pluto Pic: Is it a DOG? Is it a HEART? Or is it ... is it ... BIGFOOT?

NASA has announced that the New Horizons spacecraft has phoned home after passing behind Pluto. Images and analysis are beaming their way back across the solar system as you read this story. Here at The Reg, meanwhile, we've been gazing at the lovely image of Pluto NASA revealed to the world yesterday. That snap has been …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Excessive

Clearly there are six toes, very suspicious.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Excessive

Hm, Pluto (the dog) has three toes on each foot.

So it's not evidence of Sasquatch, it's evidence that Pluto (the dog) used his two front paws to mark Pluto (the planet) as his territory.

Not the usual way for a dog to do it, but obviously, with temperatures well below -200C, that method is impossible.

1. jake Silver badge

"Not the usual way for a dog to do it"

You've never owned sighthounds (especially Whippets & Greyhounds). The boys often pee on their front feet.

1. fishman

"You've never owned sighthounds (especially Whippets & Greyhounds). The boys often pee on their front feet."

My male Deerhounds never did that.

2. Captain Hogwash
      Joke

NASA = Norfolk Area Space Agency?

3. jake Silver badge

I see six toes, too ... Perhaps the REAL bigfoot is polydactyl? Or, somewhat worse ... humans are (for the most part) oligodactyl. My Maine Coons and Norsk Skogkatts are somewhat suspiciously hanging out in the rafters & eyeballing my screen as I type. I doubt I'll sleep much tonight ;-)

2. Tom 64

Silhouette?

Has someone take the trouble to point out to Mr. *ahem* Johnson, that that is not in fact a silhouette?

</pedantry>

3. frank ly

It's like looking at clouds

I once saw an elephant charging across the sky. (That was made even more impressive because it was the only cloud in a clear blue sky.)

4. Mark 85

I'm curious what they've been smoking or drinking and are they sharing?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I was wondering that too. The human brain has an amazing capacity to see patterns and assign meanings based on past experience, but that "Pluto the dog head shape" looked like Antarctica to me until I scrolled down to see the ever so helpful superimpostion of Pluto the dog over the shape.

5. petur

I like this version more

http://xkcd.com/1551/

6. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Pint

When the mooooon is in the 7th house, etc.

It looks more like Snoopy. Let's rename that former planet...

1. noboard
      Trollface

Re: When the mooooon is in the 7th house, etc.

I had the same thought. Someone is trolling NASA

7. x 7

Sasquatch??? More like Homer Simpson

1. psychonaut

yeah, i thought that too.

8. Mystic Megabyte
    Pint

Congrats

Well done the New Horizon team! I was half expecting the probe to slam into some orbiting crud. Now we need to send another to get images of the "interesting" side of Pluto.

9. xperroni
    Windows

Towards a unified theory of crackpottery

So Bigfoot is an astronaut god and Pluto is the starship it will ride to Earth to gather the chosen ones before the arrival of Hercolubus?

...somebody stop me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Towards a unified theory of crackpottery

Computer-supported lexical analyis of Ancient Testament disjointed crud to support your view in 3...2...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Scott Broukell
    Coat

I myself am gladdened by the initial results from this project, I had my fears that it was going to be a Micky Mouse affair.

12. Bronek Kozicki
    Megaphone

it's head of Donald Duck, obviously

13. Just Enough
    Pirate

Copyright Piracy

Disney's lawyers will be right on this. The next spacecraft to Pluto will contain a demand that it ceases forthwith its infringement of a Disney trademarked image.

NASA will have already received theirs.

14. Big_Boomer Silver badge

You are all on crack!

From the latest false colour image it is quite obvious that it is the ejaculate of the LORD that has bespattered Pluto and that Charon wears a toupé.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/pics/nh-071315_falsecolorcomposite.jpg

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The images are clearly faked, look at the shadows...

16. TheProf
    Alien

Pareidolia

So also the highly amusing

http://www.ufosightingsdaily.com

(No Pluto stuff at the time of posting but just give 'em time to histogram the life out of the images.)

17. Kelli

Pyramid

Why did NASA delete the pyramid before publishing the pictures?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Pyramid

BECAUSE THEY CAN!

18. David Gosnell

Inevitably

Giant inverted scrotum.

19. Grikath
    Pirate

El Reg, you're being too modest...

It's obvious your own Vulture Central logo is burned upon pluto for posterity.

Don't try to deny it.. We're on to you ...

20. TheOtherHobbes

OMG - it's Donald Trump!

21. VeganVegan

You're holding it wrong!

Turn the image upside down and you can clearly see that it's time for Batman to respond: the bat image is clearly projected for all to see.

22. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

I knew it

Some years ago, I went on the Geenwich Observatory tour. Looking through one of the telescopes in the museum, one could clearly see the Disney cartoon character Pluto. Someone had stuck a transparency of the cartoon in the eyepiece.

23. Chris Evans

Mickey Mouse

Looks more like Mickey Mouse's ears to me!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You should be ashamed

Poor Pluto, argued over for years, promoted and demoted as a planet depending on the current whim then we get to see it and all we can do is make fun of it's markings, it's planetism that is what it is, in its worst form. All planets are beautiful no mater how big or small, how unique their markings.

Shocking display of behaviour, I hope no other celestial bodies out there get to read these comments or we could find them heading for the nearest black hole.

Mrs Trellis

25. Chris G

Be Serious

I am tired of these childish attempts to fit mythical creatures or cartoon characters onto a geological feature of a celestial body, it is juvenile and trivialises astronomy.

This feature is clearly the Lord's bum print left there on the seventh day while he rested and viewed his wonderful creation.

I will pray for our soles!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like