back to article Half of Windows Server 2003 fans will miss July's security cut-off

More than half of companies are now expected to miss the deadline to quit Windows Server 2003 before Microsoft’s 14 July end-of-extended-support cut-off point. Many will seek security cover through Microsoft Custom Support Agreements (CSAs) charged at $600 per server, or reckon on having in place their own plans for coping. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Wow...

..is 2003 EoL?

I never saw a single article here on the reg about it!

2. CAPS LOCK

It's a WHOLE HOUR since the last thinly disguise w2k3 eol MS advert.

Stop already.

1. MyffyW Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: It's a WHOLE HOUR since the last thinly disguise w2k3 eol MS advert.

You could paint W2K3 eol in scarlet paint on the windscreen of some people's cars and they'd still do rock-all to upgrade their servers.

So yes, I think most of us have got the message. But the ongoing intransigence from wider IT is a problem. And worth coverage from our beloved super-soaraway-el-reg.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not really a surprise

One company I contract for occasionally contacted me a couple of weeks ago asking if I was available to do some server migrations in the next 2-3 months. Turns out they're 2003 boxes (I said yes of course!).

Another one I'm working at at the moment still has a few hundred 2003 boxes around. Some bright spark has decided the solution will be to install McAfee HIPS on to them all to harden them against attacks. Cue failing Production services...

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Meh

One of our customers had an old 2003 box running a single application. Said application would work on a newer OS, but the supplier wanted lots of money to migrate it.

I spent an hour or two turning it into a VM, and it's now ready to soldier on for another ten years (with everything uninstalled or locked down except the app it's supposed to run). Upgrade the OS? Why bother?

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Last one I'm reading

I've already put the steak in the heart of the last W2k3 systems under my watch. I don't need any further reminders.

I've read the last migration infomercial until it's time to move the 2008r2's to something newer. By my calculations there will be 28 more infomercials regarding W2k3 migrations before the end.

1. James O'Shea

Re: Last one I'm reading

"'I've already put the steak in the heart"

did it moo?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If an OS was vulnerable only through a browser or Office...

... life would be much simpler.

7. Christian Berger

But surely...

Microsoft is such an esteemed and trustworthy big partner which won't let their valued customer partners stand in the rain. They surely will bring out Windows Server 2003.2. Otherwise they'd just be like any other company and you could have chosen some SuSE Linux back then.

8. adam payne

Almost time to say goodbye to old reliable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like