back to article Google IS listening: Binary blob banished from Chromium build

New Chromium builds will no longer download/install the Hotword Shared Module and will automatically remove the module on startup if it was previously installed. A closed-source and binary-only kernel module caused a fair fuss when it was found inveigling its way into the very much open-source Chromium. Thanking the community …

1. PNGuinn
    FAIL

Listening?

"Builds of Google Chrome will still download this module by default. It will not be activated unless the user explicitly flips a preference to do so."

Hmm... Listening to WHOM?

There's this little button labelled in black on a black background, which, if you press it, ignoring the clear warnings in the execute only file called beware of the leopard in the locked directory...

So just possibly I'm being awfully paranoid and frightfully unfair, but no real change then I presume.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Listening?

Chrome hasn't changed. Chromium has.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Meh

Which is the right thing to do.

Keeps the openistas happy and everything continues to work as is for Joe Public, who doesn't give a rat's arse about this sort of thing and also makes up 99+% of the user base.

1. Camilla Smythe

"Which is the right thing to do.

Keeps the openistas happy and everything continues to work as is for Joe Public, who doesn't give a rat's arse about this sort of thing and also makes up 99+% of the user base."

I agree. Send them all to the gas chambers now. Eugenics is wasted on them.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Send them all to the gas chambers now. Eugenics is wasted on them.

That IS cynical!

But one can't ignore your clear vision of where this trip is going

...by hmm ...about 2020 give or take?

We need some tech for painless, instant suicide by then...

2. lpcollier

typo city

Was whoever wrote this high? I'm certain it's not a "kernel module" nor is it a "binary blog".

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: typo city

Well the binary blog has gone (was it .doc format?) but if Chrome/Chromium ever installed kernel modules that'd be a high-profile story in the general newspapers .

Quality's slipping at El Rag.

2. Electron Shepherd

I'm certain it's not a "kernel module"

Just because the term "kernel module" is widely used to refer to packaged software used to extend the Linux OS, that doesn't mean it's the only usage.

When you're developing software that runs on multiple platforms, it's usually structured around "core" and "edge" code. Core is the stuff that can be portably developed and simply shared across all platforms, and the edge is the stuff that has to be platform specific.

For example, with Chrome, the code that parses URLs and validates SSL certificates could be "core", and the installer would be "edge".

The actual voice recognition would also be considered "core", although the means by which the audio was acquired from the microphone would be "edge".

Another term for a "core" module might be a "kernel" module, since it's in the middle of the software.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

So the kernel module in Chrome talks to the edge microphone driver?

That might be true of a ChromeOS laptop (until you install Mint) but hopefully nothing else under the sun.

3. Steve Graham

When this story broke (in the Independent; I didn't see any mention in The Reg) I checked my Chromium installation and found it was an earlier version which didn't install the voice search extension. Good.

However, it had silently downloaded and installed Google Wallet under my user profile.

1. Greg J Preece

The *buntu repository versions of Chromium don't seem to install this module, but then Chrome on Linux doesn't seem to either, at least on my machine.

4. Forget It
    Pint

Nice title

Clever article title

worth the notional beer!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headline: Google's Chromium now only a Spyware Development Kit

That's basically where things stand now. The code is still there, just not "enabled", and of course like every other feature can be re-enabled in at least two ways: from the user interface and in the background by hacking the config behind it without user intervention. Come on, that just moves it from Spyware to Spyware Development Kit, with the difficulty of the development part reduced to almost nothing. But what did anyone expect? Spying on its users is an essential part of Google's business model. The only good news here is that the public availability of Chromium's source code made it inevitable that this feature would be spotted.

Misusing the term "kernel" in a tech publication is of course inexcusable, but I suppose there must be some kind of shortage of writers and editors with a serious technical background. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

6. Camilla Smythe

Let me put matters in perspective.

I do not give a flying fuck about anyone else's definition about what Chrome or Chromium might be or a discussion about Java, JavaScript... NaCl?

All I know is that 100% of people I know, as Johnny No Mates but excluding myself, have the Chrome Browser lurking on their computers along with the Ask Toolbar and that thing that lets 'Indians' log in remotely to bugger things up even more.

Dear Google. Fuck Off.

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Only usage

"Just because the term "kernel module" is widely used to refer to packaged software used to extend the Linux OS, that doesn't mean it's the only usage."

Well, I use it to refer to the little .ko files (whether packaged or not...) that can be loaded into the Linux kernel. Other OSes do have these... *BSD has modules, OSX has them but calls them kernel extensions. I'd go so far as to say it IS the only correct usage, computer science does give certain terms a pretty limited and precise meaning to avoid confusion. If someone decided to call some add-ons "kernel modules" I'd point out that term has a precise usage and they should call them something else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like