back to article BT: Let us scrap ordinary phone lines. You've all got great internet, right?

BT is asking Ofcom to be freed from its obligation to provide ordinary PSTN/POTS voice telephone connections across the UK. The telecoms giant would prefer to provide only internet services, and let customers use them for voice calls. The Telegraph reported that BT wants to move "all domestic and business customers to internet …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

provide only internet services

but keep raking fees for phone line connection, eh? Fuck off and die.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: provide only internet services

Of course the copper line should be provided and maintained for free just like your mobile signal is......

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Of course the copper line should be provided and maintained for free just like your mobile signal is......

Yeah, I'm totally sure it costs BT £192 a year to 'maintain' that bit of copper between you and the exchange, that is either buried in a hole somewhere, or strung along the tops of some long-dead trees (that last 30-40 years before needing replacement) for a mile or two.

1. Cynic_999

"

Yeah, I'm totally sure it costs BT £192 a year to 'maintain' that bit of copper between you and the exchange,

"

As well you should be "totally sure". That amounts to less than the salary of 1 linesman per 100 users before you factor in vehicle costs, admin and replacement equipment. If you believe that poles and underground cable need hardly any maintenance, you should educate yourself. But it's not only the "last mile" that you are paying a share of, but the maintenance and upgrading of exchange equipment and the entire telecommunications infrastructure. Your perfectly maintained copper line would be pretty useless without a working exchange at the other end of it, and not a lot better if you could only connect within your local exchange area.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" That amounts to less than the salary of 1 linesman per 100 users"

In a well-run setup you should be able to run 1 per 2500 or so. Openreach is not well-run and the infrastructure is falling apart due to lack of investment.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

As well you should be "totally sure". That amounts to less than the salary of 1 linesman per 100 users before you factor in vehicle costs, admin and replacement equipment.

1 linesman per 100 users? Lets assume that it takes said linesman a day to fix a fault on a line (an overestimate I'd hope), that would still imply that there would be enough faults to keep him (or her) busy all year. Assuming a working year of 52 weeks, with 30 days annual holiday (lets be generous), and you get 230 working days a year to fix faults for 100 users. That would imply that BT is expecting, on average, something to go wrong with every phone line 2.3 times per year (230 days x 1 fault per day / 100 users per fault), or every 160 days or so. If any telecoms supplier gave me a service that shitty, I'd be off faster than you can say, "Service Level Agreement". It all makes me think of this.

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

@Cynic_999 - and if you think BT are struggling to find the cash for their ongoing maintenance and upgrades; their company accounts show they made a profit of over £2bn last year...

http://www.redmayne.co.uk/research/securitydetails/financials.htm?tkr=BT.A

1. Kijoma

They made 2Bn profit last year and received nearly 2Bn in state aid to roll out "fibre" .

This of course doesn't mean they wouldn't of made a profit without it though as most of that went to buy the sports rights at way over the market value :)

allegedly..

Bill

2. Steven Jones

The wholesale charge for a copper line is £87.48 per year (for the fully unbundled MPF product). The WLR product (which is the one used by BT) provides voice too, but is only fractionally more. Anything above that level is due to a mixture of mark-up by the service provider and VAT. It's a lot less than that £192 figure you headline. The choice of which service provider to use is (for the vast majority) completely open.

Note that this includes a (regulated) level of return on what Ofcom deem the network to be worth as a level dictated by the regulator in addition to direct costs (workforce, maintenance, rates, power and the multitude of other items).

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

The wholesale charge for a copper line is £87.48 per year

Do you pay the wholesale price to BT for your phone line? No, didn't think so. The figure comes from their advertised rate of £15.99 per calendar month, £15.99 x 12 = £191.88. The twelve pence you can keep as a tip.

Of course, the figure of £87.48 may be closer to the real cost of maintaining the copper, but will still include a profit for BT, so the question has to be, what service are BT's customers getting for that other £104.40? My suspicion is: very little. The administration costs, and billing costs might come out of this, but I suspect that they account for maybe the £4.40 part of it, of which most of the cost is probably the postage. Given the amount of money they waste on shiny marketing guff that falls through my letterbox, I suspect they could well absorb that cost into their marketing budget and not notice it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

to be precise, my "fuck you BT" (moving to Virgin), was related to BT:

a) charging a fee for "payment processing"

b) charging a fee for "low line usage"

d) charging a pay-minute "access fee" to some phone numbers, as of 1st July, ostensibly to "make the charges clearer", in effect pricing out those alternative cheap 08... calling services. Ah, yeah, it wasn't BT who introduced this charge, it was ofcom (I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with BT loobying , BT "only" put an arbitrary 8p per minute charge - because they could).

So, once again, FUCK YOU BT for your grand suggestion to do away with a phone line I subscribe to that, pronto.

The only thing that might be alarming is that Virgin works well - in general. But when it doesn't ... oh dear, their "customer service" is apparently on par with the worst.

3. captain veg Silver badge

> Of course the copper line should be provided and maintained for free just like your mobile signal is......

Well, that's what happens here in France. If you go for a Local Loop Unbundled package you have the option of ditching the France Telecom POTS altogether and then pay zilch in standing charge. Interestingly, this is true even if the "unbundling" is done by France Telecom itself.

-A.

2. Richard Jones 1
      WTF?

Well this dumb ass plan should cut the load on the ambulance, fire and police emergency lines. You will not be able to call them in the event of any power troubles, what a really clever idea.

Not!

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

The optical network terminal in my basement has a battery backup. My phone service, which is a telco VOIP via fiber optics, works during power outages up to many hours.

If that doesn't work, I could use one of the several mobile phones around the house.

Failing that, I might try VHF, or possibly even HF. Morse code if need be.

Worst case, I can build a spark gap transmitter given a few hours.

2. chris 48

I wonder how many people would be stuck in a power cut anyway because they only have a cordless phone?

Probably none really. They would call on a mobile like a normal person.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

I still have 'POTS'...

But it enters the house on fiber optics. The Optical Network Terminal (ONT) in the basement has an 8P8C ("RJ45") socket for Internet, and a couple of "RJ11" sockets to provide up to two phone lines. The ONT is powered via a box with a battery, so that the phone service will continue to work during power outages. The service is top notch and features work perfectly.

Point being, the telco can change the architecture of their phone service (even coiling up their copper infrastructure) and still offer a very nice POTS service that's actually a VOIP box in the basement.

One needn't abandon the one to shift the the other.

2. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

One big problem

Internet doesn't work for long if mains power goes out. POTS is powered by batteries at the central office. Designed that way so that the parts likely to fail are all in one place, and easy to fix.

I understand the economics and the reasons for this, but I have a soft spot for the old copper system, which, if it were allowed to, would outlive me, because it's so damn well designed and built. I have much respect for The Telephone Company, their engineers and craftspeople, may they all rest in peace.

In My World, you'd have a single fiber connection for fun, and a POTS connection for when you really need it, like when you need an ambulance and the power's out (and the little dinky made-in-China backup battery in your fiber interface has long since departed)

// don't forget who Tommy Flowers worked for...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One big problem

Time moves on.

I would suspect these days most households have at least 3 mobile phones capable of making emergency calls. Actually, it would be interesting to see a breakdown of how many 999 calls are received from landlines versus mobiles, and how that trend is changing over time.

Similarly, power outages were common in the 1970's, but are extraordinarily rare today. Arguably, an emergency like a house fire could also have a significant correlation with the electricity supply failing; but it could also burn through a copper phone line..

So in general, if the USO were replaced with a universal obligation to provide an Internet connection of 10Mbps or higher, with an optional VOIP phone, I think most people would be very happy with that.

Also, it might lead to an end of the ludicrous "Internet for FREE (* line rental £17.99 per month)" pricing. Mind you, it doesn't make any difference with Virgin today: the price of Internet without phone is almost identical to the price of a phone line plus Internet (*)

(*)

50Mbps Broadband £17.50 a month (£5 for first 12 months)

+ Virgin Phone line for £16.99

18 month contract

Total cost over 2 years: £677.76

50Mbps Broadband on its own: £28.50 per month

12 month contract

Total cost over 2 years: £684.00

1. Richard 45

"Similarly, power outages were common in the 1970's, but are extraordinarily rare today."

Really? I live in a UK town. We get a power cut at least once a year.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Ha! My last work place managed 3 in 7 months. The worst being 9 hours outage.

The virgin fibre stayed up throughout though. Amazing what paying more in a month than I earned in a year did for support.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Facepalm

A big bit of Hayes, Middlesex ** had a 6+hr power outage on Tuesday. JCB dug through a 11Kva cable.

The phones still worked. Strange that!

** Part of the old EMI complex. Vinyl forever!

3. Allan George Dyer
          Windows

@Richard 45 - I think they were more common in the 1970's, at times, once a week. But that was more for political reasons.

4. Legend4Games

I live in Worcester UK, right next to a large hospital and experience regular power cuts. I run 3 UPS to protect my modem, router and phones, PC and NAS at home due to the amount of power outages we have. Some are just brownouts, but most (i'd say 5-6 a year but I've not checked the logs lately) are full power cuts that can last from seconds to 4-5 mins (the norm) or longer. Oh, and as for the lines being kept in tip-top condition.... I get constant cross over on voice, faint lines most of the time, and I got crap 'broadband' of <2meg, even my FTTC is <20meg, the phone lines are CRAP (old copper doped aluminum ones) and the last engineer out had to fish a large connector out of a flooded conduit to fix an issue - and got himself a nice electric shock whilst doing it !..... so if they could invest in the crap 'last mile' or whatever you call it infrastructure I am currently stuck with.... i'd be more than happy.

1. Nigel 11

the phone lines are CRAP

That ought to be an acronym.

Copper wRapped Aluminium Padding?

5. Jediben

Once a year? Is that not rare enough? I mean, if you eat roast beef eleven times in your life, one would hardly say that person constantly eats roast beef. No, it would be a rare, nay, freak occurrence.

2. Alister

I would suspect these days most households have at least 3 mobile phones capable of making emergency calls.

But can they do that in an area without a signal, or if the cell towers are down?

Similarly, power outages were common in the 1970's, but are extraordinarily rare today.

Power outages in the UK are still quite common in more rural areas, (where there is less likely to be a mobile signal) and are likely to get more common and widespread if the government policies on power generation continue.

1. Ted Treen

@Alister

"...government policies on power generation..."

Wasn't aware they had any.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I would suspect these days most households have at least 3 mobile phones capable of making emergency calls."

Haven't there been problems with emergency calls from mobiles being routed to the wrong geographic area services?

4. Richard Jones 1
        Unhappy

Emergency calls from mobiles can be a really major problem because the callers location can be very hard to trace. Calls from a land line tend not to move about the countryside.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

"...callers location can be very hard to trace."

The subject here is having a mobile as a backup for emergency calls *FROM HOME* when the VOIP isn't working.

Operator: "What is your location?"

Caller: "I'm at home. ..."

5. Peter Simpson 1
        Thumb Down

Three questions:

1. How long will your mobile work without being recharged. Mine lasts 2 days. And, as it's an iPhone, I can't "do" a spare battery.

2. How long do you think a mobile tower can operate without mains power? Depends on the size of the tank for the generator, but 24-48 hrs is what I have heard. Then someone had to drive up there and refuel it.

3. Cell site overload. The numbers have improved with digital, but still an issue, especially since all those with nothing to do will immediately get on the mobile to their friends, to discuss the fact that neither of them have anything to do. Tough luck if you have an emergency.

Yeah, it's better than nothing, but cellular can't hold a candle to POTS in robustness or reliability.

// have an old Western Electric phone...ever since the power went off and my cordless didn't work...duh?!.

1. Jediben

Galaxy S5 super power saving mode can do 7 days on full charge.

6. Old Man - Grey Fleece

Mobiles - yes in 20 years time everyone will have one and know how to use them.

There is still a generation that prefer the land line and may have bought a mobile for emergencies but then fail to use it once a month and so when they need it most their mobile phone is no longer registered.

Oh and guess what, it's the elderly who are most likely to need emergency medical help.

7. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I would suspect these days most households have at least 3 mobile phones capable of making emergency calls."

I live in a suburban area, and my mobile reception is "variable" - as in, one day I get reception in my lounge, the next day I don't. This is not withstanding incidents which render a mast inoperable, remomving service for a large area for substantial periods of time, such as this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/17/falcon (yes, I was affected by this)

"Similarly, power outages were common in the 1970's, but are extraordinarily rare today"

I seem to experience one a year, with a few transient ones thrown in for good measure.

"So in general, if the USO were replaced with a universal obligation to provide an Internet connection of 10Mbps or higher, with an optional VOIP phone"

I'm pretty sure my connection would struggle with a VOIP session - according to my router, it's connected at a reasonable 21Mb/s (downstream), but only ~0.3Mb/s upstream.

8. Jediben

You're getting mugged mate. VM sell 152Mbit for £32/m.

9. Roland6 Silver badge

Only problem is that in an emergency the typical user will forget they purchased a Fermocell to gain mobile at home usage and hence not understand why suddenly there is no reception...

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"POTS is powered by batteries at the central office."

How many people have landline phones that can run without the mains? Mine can't anyway.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Mine can - and I've always had *one* plugged in that can, even when I basically only used DECT phones.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Spend £3 and buy one that can. Sorted.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Spend £3 and buy one that can.

Remember in the UK you can still use pulse dial phones for POTS services, although if you want to be able to use Internet at the sametime, you do need a pulse-to-tone convertor...

So no need to visit Currys/PC World/Carphonewarehouse..

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"How many people have landline phones that can run without the mains?"

In the UK it is always advised that the phone plugged directly into the master socket is a very simple one. To prove to BT that a problem lies between you and the exchange you disconnect everything else.

If there is a power cut you still get ringing for incoming calls. You can make outgoing calls from any of those phones in the house even if the ring repeater is out of action.

One "help" line operator once made me try every phone in the house in the master socket before she would tick the box that allowed her to pass it to an engineer. The fault was interesting - if you dialled "1471" you heard two recorded messages giving different numbers. Finally tracked to some leakage between two lines in the exchange.

1. TrishaD

Here on Salisbury Plain we experience transient power failure at least weekly. We can pretty much guarantee one biggie (6 hrs plus) a year - more in harsh winters.

There is precisely one mobile in our household and I get zero reception in the house and maybe one bar if I'm lucky when I'm outside. Even then, reception fluctuates between none and bad within a period of minutes.

3. Aggrajag

Great! Even more load on my overstretched 1MB at best Internet connection.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Great! Even more load on my overstretched

Yup, my mum and her neighbour has the choice of calls or internet, as she is over 4Km from an exchange she's still on dial up. They have no plans to run a new connection to her house

wonder what the cost of putting this fibre to her will be?

1. tin 2

Re: Great! Even more load on my overstretched

$0, cos they won't and without the USO she also won't have a phone line either. That's the reason they should not be allowed to duck the USO ever.

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Great! Even more load on my overstretched

If they were to get rid of the USO to require a POTS line, they would have to replace it with one to require an internet connection capable of supporting voice. It would need to be a matter of "you must provide a voice connection to any property".

As for all the other arguments here, I don't see the issue. Getting rid of the POTS requirement would increase the available bandwidth for xDSL. They could make it a requirement that all DSL routers supplied have a VoIP connection and a battery backup capable of lasting 24h. All lines must include a VoIP connection tied to the property.

That's the only way I can see that they should be allowed to drop the POTS requirement from their USO.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

@Aggrajag and all

512 kbit/s in my case on adsl. No prospect of upgrade this decade (a court battle was fought on that issue). One mile from Birmingham city centre.

I am actually thinking of ditching the landline and relying on mobile/cafes

4. b166er

Almost all broadband connections in the UK could support VoIP calls provided there was end-to-end QoS and presumably there would be more bandwidth available for IP if the copper didn't have to support traditional voice calls anyway.

If BT/Openreach can remove the need for twice the amount of equipment as is really necessary, surely that would make maintaining the network easier to and therefore more reliable?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

>If BT/Openreach can remove the need for twice the amount of equipment as is really necessary, surely that would make maintaining the network easier to and therefore more reliable?

It depends on which parts of the system are the most unreliable. It isn't usually the electronics that cause the trouble, it's the JCB through the fibre optic cable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"it's the JCB through the fibre optic cable."

Backhoe incident in US parlance. Very popular with the self employed guys who keep the network running.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon