back to article Fujitsu shrinks SMB file transfer metadata traffic jams

Fujitsu has found a way round repetitive metadata ops that delay CIFS and SMB transfers from remote file-sharing sites. It's developing a WAN optimiser product using this software tech. File metadata is sent too many times in a transfer session, slowing data transfer. What Fujitsu engineers found was that, with a large number …

1. Jad

Steelhead?

Umm, isn't that what a Riverbed is for?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Steelhead?

I suspect this may put Fujitsu as close as 10 years behind Riverbed's solutions and 8 years behind Cisco's solutions... (there maybe other solutions out there as well, but I'm not familiar enough with them to work out how far behind them Fujitsu is)

Now all they need to do is price it high enough so that the market ignores their solution completely and they will have completed their failathon in record time.

The only possible glimmer of hope would be if Cisco finally gave up chasing Riverbed and Fujitsu stepped into replace them, avoiding a single vendor market.

I seem to have run out of misery for the moment - I'm sure I'll find some more tomorrow.

2. streaky

Re: Steelhead?

Blergh scratch everything I just said.. http://www.riverbed.com/partners/find-a-partner/find-a-partner-tool/Fujitsu.html

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Which version of SMB did they do this on ("and other SMB protocol use")?

Because SMB3+ is less chatty.

And isn't using SMB to connect to remote sites rather silly security-wise anyway?

1. asdf

Re: Which version of SMB did they do this on ("and other SMB protocol use")?

CIFS (SMB 1.0) WAN optimization? Had to check that I wasn't reading an El Reg article from the early days of the W Bush administration. And yes security wise generally on a router opening ports 13x, and 445 are towards to top of the list of things not to do.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: Which version of SMB did they do this on ("and other SMB protocol use")?

Enterprise sites I worked on had remote file servers for all the working stiffs: only management and their PA's had the privilige of working with local file servers. And not at all surprised that some of them would be working with early versions of SAMBA.

3. Trixr

I can't wait. We had some kind of WAN optimiser deployed on one of our links (Cisco kit), and it killed DFSR replication. That was pretty fabulous.

4. DanielR

CIFS + SAMBA == VPN right ? Network shares over WAN farout.

I saw this possibly differently. Could this not open up to other areas like HTTP ?

Excuse the ignorance. It did say cloud, therefore files served over CDN's. Segmented files for instance therefore Mpeg Dash speed up ?

At least how CDN's handle fils but S3 is an object system so maybe this doesn't relate to them ?

1. theblackhand

Directory scans aren't needed for HTTP as on the client side the path is determined by the webpage or on the server side the path is determined by the web server config or webpage - you aren't doing a remote directory retrieval or the other overhead introduced by CIFS/SAMBA.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like